Babysitter Wants TV, Full-Time Working Mom Doesn't - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 66 Old 08-03-2012, 09:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Here in Portland, OR, $200 a week would be on the higher end for daycare , but not really enough to pay a nanny.  I think it's a lot to pay a family member (though in certain circumstances, maybe it's appropriate).  It doesn't really matter what the payment amount is, however.  The OP has the right to have her wishes respected on this matter.  It's great that she's willing to compromise, but she's under no obligation to.

#62 of 66 Old 08-04-2012, 01:03 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharlla View Post

this is not a nanny situation.  OP drops her DD off at her Mom's house and the mom doesnt take her out of the house or to any kind of activities.  maybe childcare is more in CA but here in MO it's about $85-100 a week for that and does not include any kind of "family/friend discount"  my x takes ds2 to his sisters house 3 days a week and he pays her $25 a week. 

if i was paying someone $200 a week i would expect them to respect my wishes

Actually this is incorrect - the OP states in her first post that her mom and her daughter do go out of the house every day for various activities.
Personally I cannot imagine paying someone just $25 for three full days of childcare - it would feel as if I was taking advantage of a relative or friend for that small sum of money.
I think spending time with a loving, involved grandma is well worth a bit of Sesame Street.
#63 of 66 Old 08-04-2012, 03:57 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)

NO matter the $...Mom's rules come first. NO TV then NO TV.

#64 of 66 Old 08-04-2012, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCMoulton View Post

Actually this is incorrect - the OP states in her first post that her mom and her daughter do go out of the house every day for various activities.
Personally I cannot imagine paying someone just $25 for three full days of childcare - it would feel as if I was taking advantage of a relative or friend for that small sum of money.
I think spending time with a loving, involved grandma is well worth a bit of Sesame Street.

could have sworn she said her mom didnt have a car and that her dad takes it to work leaving mom and baby at home all day.  this isnt chicago. the median income here is 29k/year but most people i know actually only make around 20k

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#65 of 66 Old 08-07-2012, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thank you everyone for your replies--I really do appreciate them very much, and I appreciate having both perspectives on this issue. The many supportive posts were very helpful to me, so thanks for coming on to give those. It's interesting to see the different opinions on the amount of money I pay my mom; I've always felt it was insufficient (although it is almost half my income, almost a quarter of our overall family income), but it was reassuring to find out that some posters think it's fair. Right now we are looking into classes my mom can take DD to in the cold weather (as I mentioned, it looks like I WILL be able to give my parents a second car), and she has mentioned that she would like to read some research on the TV issue, so I'm confident we will be able to reach a comfortable solution for all parties. Thanks again for the help. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharlla View Post

could have sworn she said her mom didnt have a car and that her dad takes it to work leaving mom and baby at home all day.

Sorry for this confusion. I edited my original post to add a little clarifying paragraph--it is true that she is without a car and they are home all day, but right now in the warm weather they are out and about and have plenty to do. My mom is worried about being stuck inside in the cold weather. 

Breastfeeding, cloth diapering, vegetarian, working mama treehugger.gif to DD shamrocksmile.gif (10/2010) and wife to a wonderful, opinionated DH Cuss.gif. We loveteapot2.GIF knit.gifreading.gif  trekkie.gif and ourdog2.gif.

#66 of 66 Old 08-07-2012, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thanks, Michelle! We don't have a TV, but my mom watches DD at her house where they do have a TV. My mom currently leaves it off when DD is there. 

Breastfeeding, cloth diapering, vegetarian, working mama treehugger.gif to DD shamrocksmile.gif (10/2010) and wife to a wonderful, opinionated DH Cuss.gif. We loveteapot2.GIF knit.gifreading.gif  trekkie.gif and ourdog2.gif.

Tags
Tv Free

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page