Not media free and that bothers me - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1 Old 11-12-2012, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

My son is 2.5, exceptionally quiet/laid back  for his age( never runs around wild, never did anything dangerous, can sit through three course meals in a formal restaurant with adults etc).
We have not hooked up the tv, my husband is on board. But since last 1 year I have been showing him videos ( chosen by me) on iPad or lately curipus george Netflix. I used to be really unhappy with showing him anything and would get absolutely mad when my hubby would turn on the iPad. There were daily tension related to this. Now I have cooled off coz to be very honest the break is welcome. But I am concerned that as he grows up he won't be satisfied by my "pre screened " choices and it would be difficult to impose any limits. One of my oppositions to tv is the content is beyond my control and usually doesn't meet my standards.

I got several " challenges " if I am to stop the screen time completely. 
1. I am an introvert and truly need some time to be able to do my own thing on my iPad. It's my form of downtime to read mails, explore topics etc. I am guessing my needs are more than other moms since I do get a break so to speak when my son sometimes/weekly naps or my hubby has a lighter workload. But clearly it's not enough and I need DAILY break ( break to me is not cooking cleaning etc).
2. My hubby gets on average 2-3 hrs free to spend with family. Rest of the hours it's me and my son.
3. We do daily  outings, playdates, coloring, TONS of books, bath etc whatever I can think of.  But winter is hard. During summer it's way easier.
4. I am not a good home maker. All my life I was a career woman and home was a place to crash at night. After quitting to be at home, I have been making slow progress to getting the whole home making but the point is its stressful for me. Unlike many other moms I don't find happiness in baking, laundry, cleaning ( I soooo wish I did:() so lots of the hours in the day I am already being creative to keep us busy. I feel if I had a beautiful home routine down before I became a mom my son could have had more things to do? Or maybe not. He is not the type to join me in my activities unless it's matches his specific interest.

Any ideas / suggestions on any aspect of it?smile.gif

babyboy.gifborn on April 3 '10namaste.gifnovaxnocirc.giffamilybed1.gifread.gifgd.gif

Tags
Tv Free

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page