Are you interested in a TV free group here on Mothering? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 12-28-2012, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Hello fellow mothers who restrict TV or don't watch TV at all with your children,

Are you interested in a new group that would be created if there's enough interest for mothers who would like to join together and talk about the joys of living in a TV-free home?

May God bless you and His Blessed Mother Mary keep you!  :-)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 12-28-2012, 06:01 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)

We are almost completely TV free...maybe 1/2 hour a day. I would part of a group. Is anyone around anymore?? greensad.gif

#3 of 15 Old 12-28-2012, 06:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We don't own a t.v.  I pitched mine in '99 when my then-3 year old was having spectacular tantrums for more more more.  My second child is almost 3.  We started doing a couple of youtube 11 or 12 minute episodes of "Franklin" after brushing teeth at night, but that's it. 

However--a disclaimer:  if I had a couple little ones, I would be t.v.-full, not t.v.-free.  I don't see how parents of lots of little kids do it.  I know it can be done, though.

I think there was a t.v.-free group or thread somewhere here in the past.

sleepytime.gif I got tired of my signature, but I still love my children and husband and miss my little brotherkid.gif

#4 of 15 Old 12-28-2012, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

My family doesn't own a TV, either. (Unfortunately) my school-age children watch more movies at school than they do at home. Thank you, Nazsmum and McGucks, for replying. I'm happy to see there is interest in a group already.

#5 of 15 Old 12-29-2012, 03:36 AM

As a public school teacher, I am so dismayed at a lot of what goes on...including watching movies.  While there is a lot of good stuff available, I can't believe the trash that some teachers let kids watch.  Yes, "Bill Nye the Science Guy" is fantastically appropriate.  "Frosty the Snowman"?  No.

sleepytime.gif I got tired of my signature, but I still love my children and husband and miss my little brotherkid.gif

#6 of 15 Old 12-31-2012, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGucks View Post

We don't own a t.v.  I pitched mine in '99 when my then-3 year old was having spectacular tantrums for more more more.  My second child is almost 3.  We started doing a couple of youtube 11 or 12 minute episodes of "Franklin" after brushing teeth at night, but that's it. 

However--a disclaimer:  if I had a couple little ones, I would be t.v.-full, not t.v.-free.  I don't see how parents of lots of little kids do it.  I know it can be done, though.

I think there was a t.v.-free group or thread somewhere here in the past.

I have three. When the baby was born it was harder...but we made it. She is now 8mth and it is getting easier. We have a TV. we watch a Muppet Show or a 1/2 hour show.

Anyway, lets talk...

#7 of 15 Old 12-31-2012, 08:56 PM

When my dd was born 19 months ago, we canceled our cable and didn't buy the "tv box" to reinstate network TV. So, the TV doesn't work. We have done well with it since we have no time to watch anyway.  I am 17 weeks pregnant with our second and hoping we will continue to be TV-free although it can be tough. I try not to let dd have any screen time but there are occasions when she is in meltdown mode and we must get out of the house and I pull out the IPad for a PBS video. It's amazing how mesmerized she gets with it and then we endure another meltdown if we must take it away and she is not ready to stop watching. It's almost not worth it. Anyway, I hope to continue to be a TV-free house!

#8 of 15 Old 01-01-2013, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txreader View Post

When my dd was born 19 months ago, we canceled our cable and didn't buy the "tv box" to reinstate network TV. So, the TV doesn't work. We have done well with it since we have no time to watch anyway.  I am 17 weeks pregnant with our second and hoping we will continue to be TV-free although it can be tough. I try not to let dd have any screen time but there are occasions when she is in meltdown mode and we must get out of the house and I pull out the IPad for a PBS video. It's amazing how mesmerized she gets with it and then we endure another meltdown if we must take it away and she is not ready to stop watching. It's almost not worth it. Anyway, I hope to continue to be a TV-free house!

You can do it. I may take some planning. There is a thread about 100 things to do instead of TV. You might want to look at it and see if you see anything that will help.

#9 of 15 Old 01-01-2013, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Nazsmum, I didn't know about that thread. I was thinking about starting a thread like that as soon as the TV free group is created.

Is anyone interested in serving as co-leader of the group with me? If yes, would you be able to help me find a good picture for the group, please? I was thinking about maybe children playing, or an open book, or something like that.

Happy new year, everyone! I look forward to more encouragement like when Nazsmum encouraged txreader. Together we can do it.  :)

#10 of 15 Old 01-01-2013, 08:17 PM

We're not totally tv free, but reduced. What would be the viewing guidelines?
#11 of 15 Old 01-01-2013, 09:08 PM

Thanks Nazsmum! I'll try to find the thread. What does everyone do when visiting family that constantly has the tv on? We went to my SILs for Xmas and NY and they must have on their 50-inch plasma, blaring with surround sound the entire time. I try to keep dd from viewing but it's hard if you are the only one sitting in the other room. smile.gif
#12 of 15 Old 01-02-2013, 05:59 AM

txreader here is the thread-

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1117143/lets-make-a-list-100-things-we-like-to-do-instead-of-watching-tv

WOW! can't believe that worked.

Catholic mom- I think that I miss understood...I thought that you wanted to chat here, in the TV Free forum.

#13 of 15 Old 01-02-2013, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by txreader View Post

Thanks Nazsmum! I'll try to find the thread. What does everyone do when visiting family that constantly has the tv on? We went to my SILs for Xmas and NY and they must have on their 50-inch plasma, blaring with surround sound the entire time. I try to keep dd from viewing but it's hard if you are the only one sitting in the other room. smile.gif

That hasn't happened to me for a while, because the only relatives we live near are my in-laws and they know our preferences so they usually don't have their bedroom TV on while we're there. My daughter likes to play with her friend across the street, whose family always has their living room TV on. Her friend is decent enough to keep her bedroom TV off for my daughter, and my daughter knows not to watch the living room TV. Otherwise I remember situations where it was very awkward, trying to talk over the constantly talking machine in the room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazsmum View Post

txreader here is the thread-

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1117143/lets-make-a-list-100-things-we-like-to-do-instead-of-watching-tv

WOW! can't believe that worked.

Catholic mom- I think that I miss understood...I thought that you wanted to chat here, in the TV Free forum.

Thank you for finding that thread! When my computer isn't so slow I will look at it.

I do want to chat here; however, I'm also interested in the creation of a TV free group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pek64 View Post

We're not totally tv free, but reduced. What would be the viewing guidelines?

Good question. I'm thinking that in order to join, members would either not watch any TV at all, or watch some as adults but not let their children watch any, or watch less than 2 hours a day.

#14 of 15 Old 01-03-2013, 11:36 AM

We could definitely fit into the "less than 2 hours of TV a day" category - as well as the "only PBS and Turner Classic Movies" category. 

Do Youtube videos of e.g. cute hedgehogs count?

#15 of 15 Old 01-03-2013, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassesgirlnj View Post

We could definitely fit into the "less than 2 hours of TV a day" category - as well as the "only PBS and Turner Classic Movies" category. 

Do Youtube videos of e.g. cute hedgehogs count?

I think YouTube videos like that, shown in moderation, would be fine.

Tags
Tv Free

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page