TV free families. Ever feel like you don't know what's going on? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 01-14-2013, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So, I admit.  I have no clue what "Downtown Abbey" is or any of the other shows out there that my friends are all raving about right now. Even my friends who I would consider "not addicted" to TV.  

Do you ever feel like you have no idea what's going on and you almost are embarrassed because of it?  

Part of me really could care less about these popular shows, but then I wonder if I am missing out on something I truly need to know about.

#2 of 16 Old 01-14-2013, 11:20 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We are not tv-free... yet. Unfortunately, we are locked in a contract for another 1.5 years with a satellite service. :( That being said, the tv is on just for the PBS shows that my kids watch. Otherwise, we don't watch it.  

Quote:

Do you ever feel like you have no idea what's going on and you almost are embarrassed because of it? 

No, not embarrassed at all. I actually enjoy admitting to this and love to see the reactions!! :) I could care less what the latest tv show is.

I do keep up with the goings on in the "real" world via the internet. Usually by non-MSM news sources.

Newly married 10/2013 to DH superhero.gifSAHM to DD 2007  dust.gif and DS 2010  bouncy.gif  homeschool.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.gifhamster.jpg
#3 of 16 Old 01-16-2013, 09:22 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)

We are TV-free and I don't feel like we are missing very much. We get our NEWS from the radio and I'm on the internet. I'm not miss much.

#4 of 16 Old 01-28-2013, 08:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)

We are partially TV free--we don't have any type TV service at all, and occasionally watch shows & movies on the internet (Netflix, Youtube, etc).

However, I know what you mean about feeling out of the loop. When you don't watch network TV or commercials anymore, you really do miss out on what's new. I have to say, I LOVE this feeling!

We also read news from non-MSM sources....I will not watch network or cable news. It disgusts me (sorry to offend!) There are televisions at the gym, often set to CNN or FOX news, and when I go to work out, I refuse to watch. I like to use the cycle, so I'll read a book or do a sudoku puzzle instead of watching the tv!

It's weird not being up to date with the current shows, commercials, or Hollywood gossip, but I like it. That stuff just weighs you down anyway!

"Medical propaganda ops are, in the long run, the most dangerous. They appear to be neutral. They wave no political banners. They claim to be science. For these reasons, they can accomplish the goals of overt fascism without arousing suspicion.” — Jon Rappoport

#5 of 16 Old 01-29-2013, 02:23 PM

I completely agree with everyone who commented. We have a TV in our basement, which is not a warm and inviting room, no cable at all, and I can't remember the last time I tried to watch anything on TV. I haven't been a regular TV-watcher since 2005 or so, and I don't miss it at all. I am proud to not know what is happening on TV. None of my friends seem to watch TV either, because it doesn't come up in conversation. But my friends from my old life (I moved from the east coast in 2009 to Seattle) all talk about TV on facebook, and I have no idea what they are talking about. My sister is particularly bad, she always relates stuff in real life to things she saw on TV- I find it to be a really annoying habit.

Anyway I'm sort of proud to be out-of-the-loop when it comes to TV. I feel like I've kicked the national addiction, and as a result I have more time and more interesting interests. Now if I could spend less time on the internet I'd be set...

I get most of my news through the internet sites of newspapers, and facebook word of mouth. And people talking at work.

#6 of 16 Old 03-26-2013, 11:01 PM

If you live alone being without a radio, internet, or tv you can feel like all the days blend together.  I feel out of the loop without media but with it like my life is being wasted.  I think being able to tap into some connection to the world on occasion is a good thing.  Living with limited media, I enjoy the weekly weather forecast and one or two tv episodes a week.  I do want to be involved in conversations about what is new or tv shows but life goes on without tv shows.  Keeping up with the plot of a tv show can become a commitment.  I agree with BeckyBird that it weights you down and you can feel really happy about not being concerned with irrelevant issues.  

goorganic.jpg Vegetarian 2013  BFPChart2.gif FAM 2006  bellycast.gifWTTC#1 2018

Hope touc.jpglotbirth.gifplacenta.gifnovaxnocirc.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed1.gifcd.gifecbaby.giffemalesling.GIFdp_malesling.GIFgd.gifhomeschool.gifgreenthumb.gifnamaste.gif

#7 of 16 Old 04-08-2013, 08:02 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Our kids are totally tv-free but we are not. ( I was for ten years though...) I never feel that I am missing out. I listen to NPR, read several newspapers, and am surrounded by media. And yeah, I love some Downtown Abbey. 

#8 of 16 Old 09-03-2013, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinmattsmom88 View Post
No, not embarrassed at all. I actually enjoy admitting to this and love to see the reactions!! :) I could care less what the latest tv show is.

I do keep up with the goings on in the "real" world via the internet. Usually by non-MSM news sources.

^ That. My Social Problems professor was talking on the first day about how everyone is so caught up with television and usually have no idea what's going on in the world. He was talking about how people are just so happy to spend their time in front of the TV which he pointed out is basically there to keep us off the real issues, make us want to buy stuff, etc.

I thought it was funny when he'd ask "So, how many of you watched X, Y, Z this week?" and I'm the only person not raising my hand.

Single mama to DS8 and DD4. Feminist. Queer. Atheist. Poly. Full-time poli sci and econ student.
#9 of 16 Old 11-17-2013, 04:47 AM

I actually feel more informed now that we don't have cable/satellite.  We get our news from the radio and some from online. I know more about what's happening in the world/nation than I did when we watched the local stuff (which was all about how many murders there were in Baltimore) or the Today Show (which was always about the latest shopping fad or how to lose weight!).  It is odd to not know what movies are out in theaters and I've never watched Downtown Abbey...or so many other shows!  But I love it.

hh2.gif

#10 of 16 Old 11-17-2013, 08:13 AM

We don't have TV & haven't since ever. We have WAY too much screen time still IMO tho. Now we have Wifi but we didn't before. I've never felt uninformed tho. Between FB & Twitter, I think I am *more* informed generally. Downtown Abbey is entertainment, not true news, kwim?
#11 of 16 Old 01-20-2014, 08:37 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)

Actually I LOVE this! It's one of my favorite things about being TV free now that I've been tv-free long enough to be out of date. It's really fun to see the reactions in people. Even family and friends that know we're tv free still tend to bring things up to me and then remember the "rock" I live under :rotflmao

milagras and thatgirliknew like this.

Michelle mom to DD , DS , & lil DD plus and spending my days
#12 of 16 Old 01-30-2014, 01:07 PM

I wish we had been tv free when the boys were young. 

Good for all of you who are tv free with little ones. :blowkiss

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." -Plato
#13 of 16 Old 08-29-2014, 06:01 PM

I have no idea about what commercials, television shows, songs, or movies are current; but I keep on par with the news I deem important. Oddly enough, I find most of my news from Facebook. Most of my friends are very social justice oriented so they'll post a news story of interest, and I pick it up on my news feed. I also follow the BBC, the local alt-weekly, and al-Jazeera America.

Single mama to DS8 and DD4. Feminist. Queer. Atheist. Poly. Full-time poli sci and econ student.
#14 of 16 Old 08-29-2014, 06:05 PM

and, I just realized I had previously commented on this thread.

#15 of 16 Old 08-29-2014, 06:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
There used to be a coffee shop downtown called the Abbey. They tore it down and put up a ritzy glitzy place though. I miss the Abbey. So yeah, there once was a downtown Abbey in my life, but alas no longer.
#16 of 16 Old 08-30-2014, 02:07 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
We are not screen free, and not strictly speaking tv free if you count videos watched on tv monitor, or tv shows/movies watched on the internet. But as for shows in general, i have no idea most of the time whats on because i only watch from free internet websites. Most of the time, i have no clue what a show is, because i havent seen it advertized. Sometimes, i discover a series that was popular years ago, and binge watch it for a few weeks, and think to myself, 'So thats why it was so popular, now i understand what they meant.'
I dont get a chance to watch much at all, but do watch kids movies with my kids every so often (again from free internet websites) Our main problem, is not knowing what there is out there, because we are not exposed to advertising, other than what you see in the subways, our main source of information on this sort of thing.

I dont care if i havent heard of, or watched some show people are talking about, because more often than not, popular shows are crap, and i dont have faith in popular opinion.

As for the news, i never watch news on tv, i get my news from the radio or newspaper, or from select internet sites.

Last edited by contactmaya; 08-30-2014 at 02:23 PM.

Tags
Tv Free

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page