Screen Time at School - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-08-2013, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We have been looking at PK3 programs for my son. I have very personal experience with the school that we are leaning toward, and although I love it, I am concerned about the amount of time the students spend watching tv/movies and using computers/iPads. 

Students arrive at 7:30 but cannot go to down to the classroom until 7:45. They spend this 15 minutes watching cartoons. In the classroom they watch movies and TV shows close to holidays (The Story of Rudolph, The Great Pumpkin, etc.), on rainy days, and just because. Then there are the iPads. I'm not even sure what they're doing with them, but it is often. This sends up red flags for me, but I'm not sure that the other schools would be much different. It seems non-educational screen time at school is becoming more and more common.

My son was TV free until after his 2nd birthday. Now we might watch 15 to 20 minutes twice a month. When he does watch something on TV, it is something we have thoughtfully chosen and previewed (e.g., an adaptation of Corduroy, Ferdinand, or another favorite book).

I would like to voice my concerns to the admissions director, but I'm hesitant to proceed without any hard data to back up my concerns. Any advice?

#2 of 5 Old 02-09-2013, 07:00 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)

I would look for another school. If this your only option then I would talk to the director or teacher and explain the you don't want your child watching that much TV/screen time.

Most educator "know" that to much TV is no good. The school does it to make it "easier" for them. NOT all the time but most times. I worked in ED and I have seen to much screen time!!!

#3 of 5 Old 02-12-2013, 08:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I would not look for another place just yet.  Instead, I would have a heart-to-heart talk with the director.  I don't think I would even bother to bring hard evidence.  That would make it judgmental and put the director on the defensive.  It is enough that you as the parent express what you want, and the director can have the opportunity to express whether it is realistically possible or not.  The purpose of talking to the director is not for you to convince that your way is the better way.  The purpose of talking to the director is to determine whether what you want is realistically feasible in the director's setting.  The answer may require the two of you brainstorming scenarios, and the answer might very well be no, and you might possibly have to find other care.  However, if you want no screen time, then you and the director together have to come up with a plan that will work for you and will fit in with the director's staffing constraints.

I'm not saying it can't be done.  In fact, I did it.  My 9 y.o. dd has been in the same humungous daycare center since she was six months old, and they had the children do computer time everyday starting at 3 years old, with the occasional movie.  Except for my child.  I very sweetly but firmly instructed the daycare that my child was not to be allowed screen time.  I didn't even have to explain why I didn't want it, the director is a very smart lady and she automatically knew.  Together, she and I sat down and brainstormed alternatives for my child that would not create extra work for the teachers. For this reason, we have been loyal to this daycare ever since.

Our family is still TV-free and has been since my dd was a baby.

#4 of 5 Old 02-13-2013, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Thanks for your thoughts Emilysmama! I can see how bringing facts and figures to a meeting with the director might put her on the defensive. I'll try to sit down and talk with the director and see what her thoughts on the matter are. I'm encouraged to hear that you were able to work things out for your family!

#5 of 5 Old 04-08-2013, 08:00 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I don't think tv or ipads have any place whatsoever at this age. None. To me it screams "run." 

Our K class (public charter) occasionally shows something short (ten minutes) and I admit it is the highlight of DS's tv-free week. I saw a MOVIE at school. And I don't stress about it. But preschool, no way?

Tags
Tv Free

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page