baby coming, trying to decide if we should remain tv free - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 02-16-2013, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I grew up tv free and remember feeling gravely ashamed by it as a child. I lived in houses w tvs after college, but since marriage 6 years ago, we've been tv free. My husband grew up w tv. we watch a lot of films n tv shows on DVDs, Netflix and Hulu, but also rely on NPR n books for entertainment.

I'm pregnant. and we are starting to talk about screens and the baby. Part of me is very pro tv, I think well directed watching can do amazing things for media and cultural literacy. that being said, I have no interest in a home that has Disney DVDs on repeat. how can you introduce tv in a way that it doesn't take over, but also allows it to bring some magic at home.

(I type this as we are glued to the couch all afternoon as Hulu lets us stream criterion collection)
#2 of 6 Old 02-17-2013, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

You have plenty of time to think about it, being that it's generally accepted that any screen time for children under two is not helpful or recommended.  Besides, lots of households don't have tv, what with all the various ways of being entertained.

We have Netflix, which our 4yo watches occasionally.  We also get movies and shows from the library. No ads.  You get to pick what they watch.

It works for us.  

We don't have much other screen time for the kids either.  None for the 16mo, and only very occasional and education use for 4yo dd.  They have their whole life ahead of them to master various apps and technology.

(Typing this while baby naps and daughter watches Robert Munsch show on Netflix).

swede likes this.

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#3 of 6 Old 02-21-2013, 10:07 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

Being TV-free is best for children under 2. I see so many children just watch TV/ srceens and NOT playing!! It makes me crazy. I see so many children not able to enterian themselves and not have a TV is a big part of my children playing.

YES children will play with a TV home. I know that. BUT I see children that are so "into" the TV that they can't go out to dinner without a screen...Look around it is all over.

#4 of 6 Old 02-21-2013, 12:40 PM

I recommend you keep things the way they are for your family. As your dc grows allow some access to dvd's you find appropriate. Keep the tv as an occasional thing. Maybe just have a family movie night once a week?

We weren't tv free until dd was about 7 years old. Dd went from wanting to watch tv all day long to going days without watching anything.

It is infinitely better for us to have dvd's, Netflix or viewing selected shows on the internet. Our viewing is much more planned and thoughtful.

Dd is not exposed to constant commercials for things she doesn't really want or need.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#5 of 6 Old 02-27-2013, 07:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

We don't have TV, but every evening the kids get to choose a couple of episodes from a collection of shows I have put on a laptop.  This has worked out well for us.  They never even think about TV in the daytime; it just doesn't occur to them.  I grew up with TV being an evening thing only so it would have driven me crazy to have a TV on in the daytime anyway.  

#6 of 6 Old 03-09-2013, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I'd take it as it comes. 

I don't think there's much evidence that TV is good for kids literacy etc at a young age, simply becasue time in front of the tv is time not doing other, more important things. 

The only reason I can think of to get a tv would be that, actually, with a new baby it can be nice to have a tv. Much as I wish I could say that all I needed was whale music and the scent of my child's hair, the fact is that when breastfeeding for the eleventh hour running, on no sleep and a self- imposed caffeine ban, I appreciated being able to put a dvd on.

But the kids have never really had tv. I just appreciate it in that new baby stage. 

Raising Geek_Generation_2.0 :LET ds= 10 ; LET dd1= ds - 2; LET dd2=dd-2; IF month=0.67 THEN LET ds = ds+1; 

Tags
Tv Free

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page