How did you go TV free? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
#1 of 14 Old 03-08-2013, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Did you just go cold turkey or did you wean your family off the black box?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 03-09-2013, 12:47 AM

When my girls were little we started out watching an hour or two a day, and it increased very easily to 2-4 hours and even longer, what with kids' shows, cartoon movies, etc. I didn't feel good aboutit, but it just made things so easy... I reached a breaking point one day and said no more- cold turkey. The girls were 3 & 5. Their dad and I split up about 6 months later and I didn't take the tv when we moved out. I've never bought one or had one since, and my DDs are going on 17 and 15. Haven't missed it a bit, and they never really protested its absence. HTH smile.gif

chicken3.gif mama to two teens and two tots partners.gif madly in love with DP guitar.gif

#3 of 14 Old 03-09-2013, 12:44 PM

I guess we took a lukewarm turkey approach since we still own a tv and watch dvd's on occasion.

About 6 years ago we just canceled our satellite tv service. We had no tv reception without it.

Dd had been trying to watch tv all day so it was pretty dramatic change for her. She went through a week or two of being unhappy. At first she even tried to watch the neighbor's tv through the window. After that she just found other things to do and doesn't miss it.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#4 of 14 Old 03-09-2013, 02:14 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)

At first we went cold turkey...then I let them watch a little. maybe 1/2 - 1 hr

#5 of 14 Old 03-09-2013, 03:55 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

We aren't really tv free since we have Netflix, but we went from having all the channels via Directtv, in almost every room, to just Netfilx in the living room and we have a dvd player in our master bedroom. We sort of weaned off. I started by cancelling the "extra" boxes in the kids rooms so without the satellite, they had no reception and could only watch in the living room. About two months ago, we cancelled satellite totally, so now it's just Netflix. Kids don't mind at all. I only miss the ease of the DVR, but don't miss actual shows, I hardly watched anything.

"Have faith in yourself and in the direction you have chosen." Ralph Marston

#6 of 14 Old 11-09-2013, 04:24 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)

Well if you consider 'tv free' to be satellite/cable we've been off and on for years. More off than on since we've only had satellite about 2-3 years total in the 10 years dh and I have been together. We currently have no satellite/cable and just have a dvd player and a digital antenna (not hooked up right now). We have had a lot of screen time though unfortunately with the dvd's as background noise basically. The last few months have changed though... our only tv now is in my room so we have 'movie time' piled on my bed and nothing any other time. I'm planning to shift this further soon though to change the dvd's in our house available for viewing to better choices and seriously limit usage of the tv and any other screen time. First thing on the list is the stupid xbox!!!! It's days are numbered let me tell ya!

Michelle mom to DD , DS , & lil DD plus and spending my days
#7 of 14 Old 11-17-2013, 05:43 AM

We cut out Directv (satellite) in early 2012 because we were frustrated with all the ads and too many channels we didn't watch.  We still use our DVD player and get a lot of stuff from the library, and I've been known to watch TV shows online but I find I really don't need my "fix" anymore. I used to be a huge Bones fanatic...and this year, I haven't watched a single episode so far.   I love the peace and quiet the most.  I don't think we'll ever go back to cable/satellite.

#8 of 14 Old 10-12-2014, 09:16 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
We may not be purely TV free, but for me TV has been a waning presence in my life for many years. Before marriage and children, I was a boomerang person, living with my parents and working out of an artist's studio my dear father had converted for me out in the garage. The heating wasn't the best in the winter, but I'd be out there working late every night, listening to public radio and not missing TV one bit. I guess the combo of radio, internet, and creating art was a much more fulfilling replacement to the tube. When I'd come in to see what my parents were watching, I just found it so banal that I could barely sit through a single program. On the rare occasions when I did have the TV to myself, I was shocked to discover how little there was to watch on so many channels. Even going for a walk was more interesting.

Later, living with DH, but still BC, we would either watch favourite shows from his DVD collection or whatever was on the free cable he got in his apartment building. The cable programming was largely boring, but mostly I just enjoyed being in his company with some light entertainment. My best memory of TV at that time was watching the 2010 winter olympics while preggers with DS.

Now, we have no TV, and the children don't watch anything at home, but DS does watch a few children's shows when he's visiting with his grandparents. DH is less happy with this as I am (and I'm not thrilled, but don't think it's doing him harm), but will tolerate it as long as it's not violent or saturated with advertising. At home, DH and I enjoy the occasional entertainment night with DVDs on his computer, but only after the children are in bed. We have no internet at home, so most of my screen time happens when I'm at my parents. I still listen to public radio, which gives me something to think about while I'm doing mundane household tasks. But sometimes it does interfere with parenting, if some really interesting program happens to be on when DS or DD need me to be paying attention to them. I've learned when to turn off the chatter and give them my full attention.

Also, we are low income, so TV subscription or internet absolutely are expenses we can do without.
#9 of 14 Old 10-14-2014, 02:05 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
No one here liked to watch it so we just canceled. We live & raised our child to be present in life and not to tune out.

We had TV (and a landline) for several years because it was just what you did when you set up a household, not because it was what we wanted.

We canceled about 15 yrs ago. The programming was generally so abhorrent that we were elated to be free of it.
#10 of 14 Old 10-15-2014, 11:22 AM

Without TV, your imagination runs free!
#11 of 14 Old 10-22-2014, 01:49 PM

I have long enjoyed this website with free tv online https://www.choose.tv/english-tv-online
#12 of 14 Old 11-05-2014, 05:47 PM

I'm afraid to go TV free. I'm not sure if I can handle the withdrawals. I don't think I am strong enough. I wish I had more control over this problem so that I could feel like I don't have to give it up completely, but for my quality of life and my ability to get stuff accomplished... I may have to let TV go and that scares me. I'm not strong enough. Or the apprehension I feel it greatly outweighing my estimation of how bad the withdrawals will be. I don't know.... all I know is my addiction TV is ruining my life! and I don't know what to do. I know what my problem is... I want to end the addition without giving up TV. And I'm mad that that's not possible, I know its not possible and so I am being stubborn to do what is in my best interest. Ugh! I hate this!
#13 of 14 Old 11-08-2014, 11:28 AM

Aniaveblog, I'm not sure how to help you overcome your dependence on TV, but identifying that it is a problem is a good first step.
One suggestion I can make is to replace the TV with other things you like to do, and keep yourself busy doing them. After all, the main reason for giving up TV is to open up more time in our lives for other things. I listen to public radio, as well as music and audio books, while doing work in the kitchen or pursuing hobbies. This takes care of the entertainment factor, and gives my mind something to do while my hands are busy doing mundane tasks. Getting outside and walking is a healthy way to use up about as much time as a TV program, and it gives you time to think, rather than letting the TV program do the thinking for you. At bedtime, I sit up with a good book and read until I feel sleepy. Then it's simply a matter of putting the book down and turning the light off. Any time I want, I can pick up the story where I left off. I don't get that feeling that I'm missing something, the way I used to when I turned off the TV. And the peace and quiet is just glorious for me, after a day of looking after to little ones.
I don't know what your home/family situation is like, but it can be difficult to give up TV when other members in your household are still watching. You might feel isolated, if TV watching was something you normally do together as a family. If you have young children, it's a good time to teach them, while learning yourself, how to live with less or no television.
The "withdrawal" from TV may be something that lasts quite some time. Last year, I gave up on Facebook, and for months I felt like I had done the wrong thing, that my friends would be offended, that I would miss out on all those details everyone was posting about their lives. Recently, however, I noticed I don't miss it anymore. Most of the people on my friends list probably didn't even notice I'm gone, and I stopped "thinking in Facebook", meaning just thinking about my next status update. Now, I'm just living in the real world, and it feels normal.
#14 of 14 Unread Today, 09:03 PM

This is an old thread but... Anyone's DH addicted to sports? How do they watch them live? It's silly but DH doesn't ask for much but to be able to watch his sports. Im ready to give up cable but need help with this!

A for Mom, B for boy #2, C for Dad, D for boy #1, E for boy #3, F for boy #4 and G for girly #5 and there you have it ABCDEFG Family, skipping down the crunchy path in life...

Tags
Tv Free

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page