I work from home. Help! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 06-28-2014, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I work from home. Help!

My little girl is 5 and is homeschooled. She watched way too much TV (Netflix and videos, not broadcast TV). She views the world through the eyes of Disney princesses and thinks her worth is about how beautiful she is. Ugh. I feel like such a failure. Before I became a parent, no child of mine would EVER be babysat by a screen. Anyway, I have two barriers. I have no clue how to deal with her melt downs if she cannot watch TV. She no longer know how to entertain herself. Which would not be such a big deal if I didn't work from home. I use movies and such to keep her busy so I can get work done. When I suggest playing with toys, etc. she usually cries about how she just wants someone to play with. I do not drive, so there isn't even a way for me to take her places and work from there. What would you suggest?

Mama to: one spunky girl and one angel baby Wife of over 10 years to an amazing man:
#2 of 6 Old 06-29-2014, 08:59 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
You're welcome to come to the "TV Free and Loving It" group to look for some ideas. Does your daughter have plenty of books available? (books for reading enjoyment, not just schoolbooks) Do you have a fenced in backyard and/or playroom for her to play in?

May God bless you and His Blessed Mother Mary keep you!  :-)

#3 of 6 Old 06-30-2014, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you, Catholic Mama! We have loads of books, but she does not read yet to it does not keep her busy for long. She also has free access to a large variety of arts and crafts supplies and her room with toys. Unfortunately our yard is not fenced so I cannot have her outside too much without me. :/

Mama to: one spunky girl and one angel baby Wife of over 10 years to an amazing man:
#4 of 6 Old 07-01-2014, 07:42 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
What type of tv is she watching? You mentioned Disney princesses so is she getting a lot of cartoon type shows too? If you need to work and she isn't comfortable entertaining herself any other way then just start the transition. TV Free doesn't need to happen overnight just start making a slow move that direction. Find educational (Nat'l Geographic, Discovery, etc) type shows for her to watch and/or movies/shows that show kids using a little more creativity and imagination. It might help her learn how to play better. At least she'll be learning more creativity or learning something in the process.

What type of work do you do? If she can be in the room with you then playing near you might help. If not maybe rearranging your work hours so she has to be entertained less time during the day might help if that's possible. Another thing I'd try would be looking into a book reader. Something like the Leapfrog Tag? Something that will read books to her and then she can do that. Or possibly even a Wii. Neither of those will limit screen time but it would give her some activity or reading instead of cartoons.

And for the movies I'll post back if I can think of anymore good ones but I was thinking things like Milo and Otis or Homeward Bound. One really good movie I *loved* was The Frog Prince (1986 version). It was about a little princess playing by herself and making a new friend and adventure. The Little Princess movie with Shirley Temple was another great one. They are movies and do draw kids to re-enact the show but they're a little more adventurous and such. Hope this helps!
#5 of 6 Old 07-01-2014, 10:34 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bereamama View Post
My little girl is 5 and is homeschooled. She watched way too much TV (Netflix and videos, not broadcast TV). She views the world through the eyes of Disney princesses and thinks her worth is about how beautiful she is. Ugh. I feel like such a failure. Before I became a parent, no child of mine would EVER be babysat by a screen. Anyway, I have two barriers. I have no clue how to deal with her melt downs if she cannot watch TV. She no longer know how to entertain herself. Which would not be such a big deal if I didn't work from home. I use movies and such to keep her busy so I can get work done. When I suggest playing with toys, etc. she usually cries about how she just wants someone to play with. I do not drive, so there isn't even a way for me to take her places and work from there. What would you suggest?
Perhaps you might rethink your goals and how you spend your time. By "work" are you talking about paid work from outside the home distinct from housework or schoolwork. I think, truly, that is a very very hard combination.

My kids have always been tv free short of maybe 3 hours a year. I can imagine, now, with that background incorporating homeschooling, paid work, etc. in a tv free environment but only because it is not and never been an option. They've developed really good self-direction and skills.

But if they'd always had tv and had to rely on me for school, entertainment, companship, and play and much of time was involved with something they can't join in...well...that would be a disaster. And unrealistic.

So something has to give. If you considered K outside the home, supplemented with homeschooling?
#6 of 6 Old 07-07-2014, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

I work from home doing customer service. I have to respond when a customer emails, as well as other tasks. Unfortunately, it cannot be rescheduled or moved around. I will think about everyone's suggestions. I appreciate the help!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page