trying to be tv-free, but.. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 08-03-2014, 11:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
trying to be tv-free, but..

My family helps me babysit my 3-year-old daughter. They usually have the TV on or are on their smartphones when my dd is around. They play videos for my dd to occupy her.

It got to the point where my dd asks for a movie every time a screen is not on. She would throw tantrums when I denied her. I was going through early pregnancy, then jet lag, adjusting to moving to a new country, etc, and allowed this to go on for a couple of months.

Now I'm working on cutting down TV and screens again. I saw tremendous improvement in my dd in just a week of being mostly TV-free (she still watches TV when my sister takes care of her). She plays by herself, makes up stories, even sleeps better.

I'll be relying more on my family to babysit dd again when her sibling arrives in December. I can't help worrying about the TV use. Is there any thing I can do to minimize her exposure to screens while she's in their care?

single mama to dd (June 2011)
#2 due December 2014!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 08-04-2014, 05:13 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Can you ask them nicely to cut back? Explain that she has the skills to find things to do without the screen.
#3 of 3 Old 08-19-2014, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
I did... but I realized that it's simply too easy for them to turn on the TV to entertain themselves, and have the kids around, so the kids end up watching TV too. They even say TV is good for her so she can learn Chinese (we live in a chinese-speaking country). There is some truth to that as I did pick up most of my Chinese by watching a lot of TV when I first moved here, except I was already 10 by then.

single mama to dd (June 2011)
#2 due December 2014!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page