Mamas of TV Free Children Rollcall - Page 17 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#481 of 1527 Old 07-01-2005, 04:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Jenn,

I really sympathize with your situation, especially as a WOHM former (in recovery) hyena who struggles to find time with my DH and raise a TV-free child.

I think using the TV to facilitate time with DH after Nathan goes to bed is totally fine. That's how DH and I use it. We used to each sit in front of our respective computers each night after putting DS to bed, working or, in my case, chatting/stalking online. We were spending no good time together. We decided to cut out computer time after dinner, and instead watch movies or DVDs together. We had Netflix, so we could have unlimited DVDs for $20/month, with no late fees. That might be a cheaper solution for you than cable + TIVO. DVD players are *cheap* these days, if you don't already have one. Netflix even has a lot of TV series on DVD. DH and I tend to watch moderately racy stuff, so watching facilitates lovin' *Very good* for our marriage!

However, TV and Nathan is another issue. I sympathize with your need to keep him entertained while you're at work. We've been lucky to have enough money to have DS in excellent part-time daycare, but I find it impossible to get any work done when I'm with DS. One possiblity might be to at least switch to non-commercial TV/movies either on PBS or on DVD (you could also get these through a Netflix subscription). At least this would cut out the commercial exposure. I also wonder if you could swap daycare with another mama. You and your DH could take take of someone else's child sometimes, and that person could take care of your child at least some of the time while you're at work. Also, if it appeals to you, I like the PP's suggestion of trying to find a childcare/nanny position, which would be good for Nathan and provide income. Another suggestion is to work on fostering Nathan's interest in non-TV activities when you're not at work, that he can then do when you are at work. For example, you could read to him and draw pictures with him (we do a lot of both of these). Then, you could easily bring favorite books for him to look at at work. For drawing, I highly recommend a magna-doodle or similar. They're totally non-messy and kids can quickly figure out how to erase them and draw with them.

Good luck to you!

s
#482 of 1527 Old 07-01-2005, 04:51 PM

We are a t.v. free family. Although we do watch a movie every now and then.
#483 of 1527 Old 07-02-2005, 09:58 AM

One week tv free! No shows no movies! The kids have asked to turn the tv on but I say no and we go off and do something else.

Since it has been off they have come up with all kinds of fun things to do. We recently started up a pots n pans band in the livingroom lol And who knew uncooked rice could be such a great toy?

I read somewhere in this thread (took mne all week to read all 24 pages!) that tv could contribute to the onset of early puberty. Does anyone have anything I can show to DH about this? I have been trying to move away from cows milk and go to all organic foods as I feel the hormones have contributed to my ds1 early onset puberty but after reading about the tv contributing I want to read more on that, as does dh who doesn't believe the tv could possibly have anything to do with it.

At least he has been mostly supportive of going tv free.
#484 of 1527 Old 07-02-2005, 02:04 PM

Add me to the roll. We got rid of our TV in 1998, one of the better things we've ever done.
#485 of 1527 Old 07-02-2005, 11:40 PM

I don't know about the early puberty thing, but...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenniebug
And who knew uncooked rice could be such a great toy?
we have an indoor "sandbox" filled with uncooked rice, lentils, and split peas - it is a construction site with little trucks and things to push the "sand" around in.
#486 of 1527 Old 07-03-2005, 09:11 PM

we are getting ready to go to the beach with my super tv lovin sister and her tv addict toddlers...
we will be in a house all together and the tv will be in the main room....
my sister has been in her finals at college so i hvae not had the guts to really suggest no tv for the beach week yet....

her youngest (boy, my dd's age) actually ahs to watch the SAME video everyday in order to go to sleep, that is even what they do at his day care, they roll the tv up to his crib and turn on the video,
which is sweet in that they are so into letting him have what his momma thinks he needs
but f'ed up, b/c that is sooooooooooooo sad....my dd holds my braid while she falls a sleep in our family bed......

but anyway,
i said earlier in this thread that i went from thinking it was ok for my dd to watch some videos/tv, when we were home for hollidays (about 3 times a year) with her cousins, b/c that is all they do.
to thinkin NO WAY

so now i have to face this choice and some how, say no tv around my dd to my sister (and parents, and my other siblings) w/o sounding like i think i am a better parent
(which i often do, when i state any of my parenting practices to my little sister, we do it so different)

i love her and her kids so much and would never call her a bad mom, but i just can not let my dd watch tv

i will try to stay out of the house or in other rooms as often as i can when they are watching tv, but i am going to have to say something about it to her

any advice for respectful decleration?

thanks
s
#487 of 1527 Old 07-03-2005, 09:36 PM

nak wiggly toddler subscribing back later with intro
#488 of 1527 Old 07-04-2005, 02:40 AM

Just thought I'd check back in.

Well the day after we last talked I had to work two hours extra (a total of 8 hours) so Nathan went TV free for the first 6 and then watched a movie about a pig for the last two hours. Since then he hasn't watched any TV at all - none!

I went to Toys R Us to get a magna doodle and they don't have them! I couldn't even find anything similar! Does anyone know where I can get one?

Oh and beginning on Friday Nathan has had a language explosion - he went from about 20 words total to between 40-50 words! It's actually been pretty fun and while I personally miss the TV I think I'm the only one. Nathan asked a couple of times on Friday to watch it but hasn't asked since.

And I'll be asking my boss if she knows any 11 year old girls in the area that would be willing to take him outside and play for a couple of hours a few days a week. Great suggestion! It's just too bad I can't post signs saying "Wanted: 11 year old girl"! lol That might not go so well.
#489 of 1527 Old 07-04-2005, 03:19 AM

OK the girls are asleep - for now :LOL - so I'm back to introduce myself. I'm Amy, mom to Ali and Anni, whose birthday is September 27, one day later than the day this tribe was started! That seems auspicious. Somehow it took me another 9 months to find you but here we are so I'm glad.

Anyway we are TV-free (girls and I) for one month. No turning back for us, I am a complete addict and found I was using TV and videos as a way to "deal" with my stresses with the girls. After a couple of weeks of no TV I found that many of those stresses JUST DISAPPEARED!!!!!!!

We have two TVs and DH watches some in the evenings. He is not addicted and can actually turn on a TV for a program and then turn it off. I can't and can't even be in the room while it's on. DH is cutting waaaay back and enjoying spending the evenings tinkering on an old truck he bought.

The girls sometimes ask for TV, which I take as a sign that they need more help from me to find something fun to do. I'm getting more creative about that as time passes.

My big issue right now is that I have so many years of so many TV programs running through my brain that in some ways I haven't really stopped watching it yet. I don't know if that makes sense. But I can sit and think through episodes of shows that go back to the 70s. It's astonishing. At this rate I won't have to actually watch another TV program, video, or movie for the rest of my life and I'll still be purging my sytem of the stuff I've watched. Although a friend I told about this says maybe the fact that I've worked my way back to the 70s means it will soon be over. She hasn't watched TV in several years and never thinks about it, she says, so I guess there is hope.

Another issue I have, and a question for you mamas, is what about videos at (believe me or believe me not) church? DH is a church-goer and recently we decided to make it a family affair. The church grounds are lovely, which is great since when 21-month-old twins go to church they prefer to roam about freely. :LOL This is also great for me in that I am not really religious and don't want to sit in church. But the family adventure aspect of it is actually really great, and afterwards we usually go out, picnic, etc etc. So all seems well. Also, the church has a really lovely nursery and welcomes parents coming in with the babies/toddlers - I could go on and on. The girls are happy with the fun new setting, I'm happy too, DH is happy we're in the vicinity, etc etc. Now the kicker - most weeks that we go the HUGE TV in the corner of the nursery is turned on, and not to, say, programming that would promote the values of the church's religion! It's Barney or other similar crap!!! And the nursery workers are actively working to get the children away from the really lovely toys and interactive play areas and focus them on the TV!!!! I did go once when the TV was off and we loved the nursery. But today we went back and there it was again. We stayed outside and the girls missed their fun new toys and playmates, but I just wasn't going in like that.

I'm a bit torn about what to do - I have considered calling the children's ministry office to talk to them about it but I feel that would imply a greater, well, investment in the congregation than I am making, if you KWIM. Keeping the girls outside of the nursery is an option but limits us in what we can do. I'm just not sure...

Any thoughts?

Oh - I'm s-l-o-w-l-y reading through the thread, am on page 3 as of now. I should catch up in a couple of weeks...
#490 of 1527 Old 07-04-2005, 10:18 AM

Jenn,

Congratulations on the progress reducing Nathan's TV watching! I've found that the first couple of times I have to deny DS something are the hardest, but then he accepts that he can't have whatever it is. I think a key is clear rules that are understandable and are enforced consistently. For example, when we were night-weaning DS (long story why we needed to do this), we told him he could nurse only when it was light outside. He quickly understood and didn't complain after the first day or so. If he asked to nurse and it was dark, I asked him whether it was light outside (and offered him water or milk in a sippy cup)? He could see it wasn't and waited until it was light to ask again. He was much better able to accept this rule than he was able to accept me evaluating each nursing request separately.

Regarding the magna-doodle, we have this one:
http://www.fisher-price.com/us/produ...t.asp?id=28942

We got it at Toys R Us, but the Fisher Price website has a tool to search for where you can find the item. It was the best $8 I ever spent!

Good luck with your continuing efforts to find alternatives to TV.
#491 of 1527 Old 07-05-2005, 04:12 PM

This is purely an informational post.

Today's Science Times section of the New York Times had a small bit about a study by a researcher named Dr. Dina Borzekowski of Johns Hopkins.
Quote:
Elementary school students who have televisions in their bedrooms do worse on test in school...The study, in Archives of Pediatric & Adolescent Medicine, looks at the performance of almost 400 children in six Northern California schools for a year. The researchers also surveyed the students and their families about television, computer and video game use.

The lead author...Borzekowski...said...children with televisions in their bedrooms consistently scored significantly lower on math, reading and language arts tests.

By contrast, those students who said they had computers in their homes scored higher...
Now, I googled for "borzekowski television" to try and find the study, but it is still "in press", as they say, so I guess I'll just have to wait for publishing. (Here's the google search page that came up, btw. Lots of interesting links from this researcher: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...ski+television)

These short blurbs are often written so they just raise loads more questions. Like, "scored significantly lower" than who? People with just tvs in the home but not in their rooms? People w/o tvs at all? And, note bene, romani, the computers were "in the home" but were not in the bedroom. I'm just sayin'...

Another thing, is it the content issue again? Or is it a quantity thing? Or is it that if you've got a tv in the bedroom, you might have a greater risk of staying up even later watching something than you would if it were in the living room, thereby just not getting enough sleep?

Not that I'm ever going to be getting a television. But, this kind of information can be useful when talking with someone who is on the other side of the fence.

Anyhow, food for thought.
#492 of 1527 Old 07-05-2005, 06:01 PM

I read the version of this article that came out in my local paper this morning, and it also quoted a new study done in New Zealand about more TV equals lower educational levels. Both studies were interesting but of course a newspaper report just prints certain things and leaves out most of the important stuff IMO. After reading your post Sohj I am reminded that it is probably not in the best interests of the mainstream print media to bash TV too much, they are linked so heavily these days. So I would expect that the most damaging conclusions and the best research was left out of the report and I note with some skepticism that my local paper's version (taken straight from the AP wire I'm sure) includes criticism of the studies before describing them.

Anyway I'm glad someone is studying this and I'm sure the real information is out there - somewhere...

Regarding my issue, I called the church and asked to speak to the person who is in charge of the nursery. They're supposed to call me back. I'll update if anyone is really checking in on this tribe still, I seem to have discovered it very late in the game :LOL
#493 of 1527 Old 07-06-2005, 10:11 AM

Thanks, sohj. It seems news stories leave out more than they tell . . .

AmyY, I am still checking this thread - and I look forward to your update b/c we're probably going to start going to church sort of regularly and who knows what we'll run in to in the way of TV in the nursery.
#494 of 1527 Old 07-07-2005, 04:54 AM

Well I got a call back from someone in the children's ministry who said brightly that they like to have Barney on because some of the children like it, explaining that they like to dance and sing to it. I said we don't do TV or videos, she said "oh..." then went on that this is a very media oriented church, but since we go to the early service (not too many children in the nursery) I can ask the nursery workers to turn it off. She also said she'd speak to the woman in charge of the nursery for that service about it.

I had noticed the church was media oriented - two huge screens showing the pastor preaching as he preaches in real life not so far away from the last row of the congregation that they can't see him :LOL but that's very different from getting my girls ready for church and taking them to see Barney videos which I am so glad I have eliminated from their day at home.

I don't know if any of what I did will make any impact whatsoever, and I don't want to commit to the church itself so I'm not going to make a big thing out of it from here out, but I'm glad I at least called to find out that they regard Barney in the nursery as fun for the children. Never mind that the great toys and interactive play areas sit unexplored. :

This on the heels of working my way to the end of Giving the Love that Heals by Harville Hendrix and him talking about rituals of faith being important to family life. I had been puzzling how that could be true when I feel so liberated to be away from the religion of my childhood and early adulthood, and now that I'm going back - sort of - to church they are into the religious ritual of Barney for my girls? Harville I must write to you about this one day.

RedSocks, glad to know my posts are not disappearing down a hole into Wonderland or something, LOL :LOL Anyone else still out there? Jenn, how's it going now?
#495 of 1527 Old 07-07-2005, 10:48 AM

Ok, that is just crazy to have Barney on in the nursery. First off, it isn't even a Christian show. Secondly, have they heard of music? Kids can dance and sing to that. I teach 2-3yos in the nursery (paid worker) and would never dream of tv in there. That is insane. We don't even do CDs because I would rather the kids be more interactive.

We play in the rec room, then we have snack. Then they can color or free play while I read a story. Afterwards, we sing songs while I teach them sign language. Keep in mind there was no structure when I started, so I made up this schedule, but there was still no tv when I started. Obviously, tv is a tool for laziness. How hard is it to read/sing/play with them?

Wanna come to my church?
#496 of 1527 Old 07-07-2005, 06:21 PM

AmyY, don't take this the wrong way... but your church makes me

Obviously, though, the same thing that makes me is the issue that you're having with them... BTW, was this lady proud that it's a "media-oriented" church?

Makes me want to call her myself! :LOL
#497 of 1527 Old 07-08-2005, 03:20 AM

Laralou - yes I'd like to come to your church! What you describe is actually what I expected, and given the excellent set-up of the nursery at this church that kind of plan would work GREAT. The Barney videos actually don't fit in that room, the workers have to redirect the children away from the toys and play areas to the videos - and they do with some vigor.

Kati - well it's not my church or I would have taken a much firmer stance, including offering to run the 7:00 a.m. service nursery and provide training to other workers. But I've about spent my rage against church in the last decade or so and have been feeling so free without religion, but going with DH seemed like a fun family activity as long as the girls and I didn't have to be exposed directly to religion or really participate. Who knew that my new-found beliefs about TV would be the first to be challenged upon my sneaking-in return to a church?

In general news, I am realizing how profound a TV addict I am. I expect I will never be able to be a casual watcher. It's been over a month since I have seen TV and the girls the same. DH still watches in the evenings. Almost every day I crave TV. I have not turned it on and I will not, but it's only the horror of what I was doing to my girls that keeps me from it. I mean, I really have to feel that physical sickness about what I was doing to them, introducing them to my addiction and at such an early age, to keep me from turning on the box. We have two TVs, one in our bedroom which I have now unplugged and covered with a blanket. The one in the livingroom is not as tempting since it's not what I watched 24/7 during the months of bedrest and the early months of breastfeeding.

I used to think TV provided me with companionship. I still wonder will the cravings ever stop. I'm not running TV programs in my head 24/7 now at least.
#498 of 1527 Old 07-08-2005, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyY
Kati - well it's not my church or I would have taken a much firmer stance, including offering to run the 7:00 a.m. service nursery and provide training to other workers. But I've about spent my rage against church in the last decade or so and have been feeling so free without religion, but going with DH seemed like a fun family activity as long as the girls and I didn't have to be exposed directly to religion or really participate. Who knew that my new-found beliefs about TV would be the first to be challenged upon my sneaking-in return to a church?
It is pretty sad, huh? I don't have any kids yet (for a couple more months, anyways), so I haven't had to deal with this stuff. But I know I will have to... I went to a church function and found out that the kids were watching Shrek. It wasn't Sunday school, mind you, but it bugged me b/c Shrek is one of the kids' movies that I don't think is appropriate for kids at all. At this point, I think I'll probably just keep my kids with me. We shall see. I am interested to hear how your situation plays out.

There's got to be a church community around (unless you live in the country. ) that will value children, or at least a church with members who have a heart for the children's ministry, yk? I'm pretty sure that if you start a thread in the spirituality forum, someone will have a suggestion of a church for you... Unless of course, your DH picked the church and loves it.
#499 of 1527 Old 07-09-2005, 05:13 PM

My parents didn't let me watch a lot of TV growing up, so it was easy to leave it off most of the time around DD when she was small. Now she doesn't desire television, ever. Unfortunately, at 13, she is totally out of it when her friends talk "TV," as I was at her age! But, she doesn't much care, and is still pretty popular (unlike me).

I was lucky enough to marry DH, who also HATES TV with a passion! We are both librarians.

DS has only seen the TV on at his grandparents' house a few times. We have one at home for movies (which we never get to watch because he NEVER SLEEPS), but it hasn't been put on but twice in the last 4 or 5 years (for 9/11, and the presidential debates).

As to the church issue, we just stay home.....

Jenny, reading & writing mama of dd(18), ds(6), and ds(3)
#500 of 1527 Old 07-12-2005, 12:29 AM

My son did not watch tv for the first 14 months of his life. A friend gave us a few childrens videos and he loved them. We still did not watch much tv but he was watching. When my daughter was born I began using it as a babysitter and nowdays we watch so much that it is on most of the day (till about 5 pm). We don't watch it the whole time and it's normally pbs or a video of my choice, it's often background noise but still! So I've taken to turning the power off in back when I feel it's been on to much but it was still to tempting. Tonight I finally went through with my desire to remove it. My husband does not want it gone but it is downstairs where the kids and I don't spend our day. I've organised the kids room better and they have been spending more time in their playing and just in general interacting. Now they no longer have the option of veging in front of the tv and it feels so good!!! I feel absoutly horrid for leaving behind my no-tv ideals and I feel aweful that my daughter has watched so much in this precious first 1 1/2 year of her life. I guess all I can do now is look to the future and know I am making a good choice since I can't change the past. It will feel even better once the tv stand is downstairs and we re-arrange the living room. I am going to make the focus our big picture window or our fireplace, not sure which yet.

I've read the first five or so pages of this thread as well as some on other threads and it is wonderful to know I'm not alone. I just wish my husband was completly with me on this but I know he won't give up going downstairs to watch and play video games. Can't win them all I guess.

:
#501 of 1527 Old 07-12-2005, 10:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyClaire
Unfortunately, at 13, she is totally out of it when her friends talk "TV," as I was at her age!
I hated that! I also grew up without any television and when other people would talk about it, I had no clue!
I remember one time, everyone was going on and on about some guy Joey or somethin' and whether he was going to break up with some girl. So, naturally, I want in on the gossip lol!
Here it's some stupid character on a tv series. nice.

I can never carry on a conversation with someone who spends all their time in front of the tv.
TVPerson: "Hey did you see...?"
me: "No."
TVPerson: "Then did you see..."
TVPerson: "Oh. Well, then, did you catch that show
about....?"
TVPerson: "What do you do?"
me: "Visit friends, laugh so hard tears fall and my
stomach hurts. Those are my favorite
memories. Play at the park with my children.
go see live comedy, concerts at the Bandshell,
all sorts of stuff."
TVPerson: "Oh. Okay then. Well, I have to go. My
show starts in fifteen minutes. It's a new
crime show. It's called CSI: Crime files.
It's about...blah blah blah."

yeah, now they have human advertising for their televisions. Scary.
#502 of 1527 Old 07-12-2005, 10:39 AM

Wow, Jenivere, that's great!
#503 of 1527 Old 07-12-2005, 10:43 AM

Me and my husband gave up television when I was pregnant and we were moving to a new apartment. He said he didn't think we could ever make it without television and now he's become an anti-televisionite! He'll turn off them anywhere we go where there is one on like the pediatrician or wait in the car until we're called. We do have a television to watch DVD's and videos but the kids don't watch. We watch occasionally after they go to sleep. People think we are beyond odd but they thought that anyway.
#504 of 1527 Old 07-12-2005, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwearredsocks
Wow, Jenivere, that's great!

Thanks! I think we all feel a bit like addicts in recovery this morning but so far not to bad. Jacob has asked about a movie and he also pointed to the big blank space where the tv stand was but I told him they were gone, he said ok and went off to play. Last night we finished up by putting all videos in a basket and taking them along with the tv stand downstairs. I figure out of site out of mind is best. So now I have to clean and rearrange my living room.

:
#505 of 1527 Old 07-12-2005, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaInTheBoonies
I hated that! I also grew up without any television and when other people would talk about it, I had no clue!
I remember one time, everyone was going on and on about some guy Joey or somethin' and whether he was going to break up with some girl. So, naturally, I want in on the gossip lol!

I can never carry on a conversation with someone who spends all their time in front of the tv.
about....?"
all sorts of stuff."

This reminds me of the book "Farenheit 451" by Ray Bradbury. The main character's wife spends all her time "plugged in", throws TV parties, and she and all her friends sit around talking about their "friends" on TV as if they were real. They didn't understand that there was a real life to live!
#506 of 1527 Old 07-12-2005, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kateana
This reminds me of the book "Farenheit 451" by Ray Bradbury.
And they call that Science Fiction.
#507 of 1527 Old 07-12-2005, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaInTheBoonies

about....?"
all sorts of stuff."

THAT IS SO TRUE!

I popped into a chat room recently and everyone was talking about TV. How sad is that? I find it so depressing that TV is partly to blame for isolating people so they reach out to each other through the internet just to talk about TV. It's really absurd when you think about it.

flowersforyou.gif

#508 of 1527 Old 07-12-2005, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kateana
This reminds me of the book "Farenheit 451" by Ray Bradbury. The main character's wife spends all her time "plugged in", throws TV parties, and she and all her friends sit around talking about their "friends" on TV as if they were real. They didn't understand that there was a real life to live!
Of course thats us, except with computers and the internet. :LOL

nothing more to say I guess :
#509 of 1527 Old 07-12-2005, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calidris
Of course thats us, except with computers and the internet. :LOL
: Thank you for that shot of humility! :LOL
#510 of 1527 Old 07-13-2005, 08:18 AM

I've read the last 7 pages of the thread and had lurked at the beginning, so I might have missed something in the middle, LOL

But like another poster, we're dealing with a family vacation where everyone else (including a 3 yo and 4 mo cousin) that watch a ton of TV. We don't watch any and I really am having trouble letting go of the fact that my 4yo (who likes to tell people that "I love TV. We don't have a TV, but I love it") might get exposed to all this stuff. I can't tell if it's a purity thing or not, but I love the fact that he doesn't know anything about Dora and all that jazz. I even hate to take him to most stores b/c he asks me who all these cartoon characters are. We are lucky in that most of our friends don't have TV for their kids.

Anybody want to share how they handled the outside media influences. I fear that he'll spend the whole week in beautiful mountainous colorado glued to the tube and that it'll change his play/imagination forever....

help

Angie, Mama to Finn (6/01) and Theo (4/05)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page