Mamas of TV Free Children Rollcall - Page 25 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#721 of 1527 Old 12-13-2005, 10:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
As far as I can tell, they either stare or they don't, and being tv free is not the only determining factor. Ezra was not at all interested in tv until he turned 5, and still if we're at my aunt's, he won't watch for more than 5 minutes. Phaedra cannot take her eyes off it if it's on. She's been that way since she was like 6 months old. So, when we go to a relative's house that runs the tv non stop, we just pay attention to where our kids are and watch for opportunities to turn it off. Oh, and we have tv b gone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#722 of 1527 Old 12-13-2005, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy&Will

The past couple days ds has been very aggressive and whiney.

I pulled the plug on our TV today. Ds had a two tantrums after having movies go off, and he's become more and more aggressive after we started letting him watch movies more than once or twice a month. I just can't deal with the little slugs my kids were becoming in front of the tv, and the aggressive, screaming little things they were becoming when it went off.

It's really kind of scary to see the change in them. I've been reading some of the posts on this thread and I'm hoping that after a few weeks tv-free we'll start seeing some positive changes. I can't bear it that my sweet little man has turned into such an aggressive thing (and all the aggressive scripts are right from the movies).

Pulled the plug on that drug, and if I have to, I'll have Dh cart it to his office in the back of the house (aka, where we don't hang around )

Glad to have found this thread!

Kristen, Loving my family heartbeat.gif Sweet DH, C 11, A 9, B 7, G 4, H 1, C newbie!
2ndtri.gif Free Healthy Pregnancy & Natural Birth Series, click here!

#723 of 1527 Old 12-14-2005, 04:39 PM

I've also noticed A LOT that people are almost angry when you discuss being tv free. Most of the time, it's a conversation stopper, and occasionally, you get someone who wants to talk, but often they are really upset. Like others, I actually try not to bring it up too much. My rationale for why people act like this is as follows:

1.) They can't do it. On a gut level, they know that TV is not good for kids, but they can't go tv free, mostly because they are addicted or unwilling to put in the initial time needed to get over the hump. So instead of responding positively, they make excuses and become defensive to make themselves feel better.

2.) They have their own positive memories of tv and they think that denying tv is denying your child things they think are good. Sesame Street on a snowy afternoon, Saturday morning cartoons with Dad, staying up late for a movie with a babysitter... It takes a leap of faith to realize there are other things that can make those fuzzy memories.

3.) There are a few people out there who have made an informed, concious choice regarding television, but these people usually aren't angry...

4.) People who are misinformed and think you're nuts. Many people have only read the back of the Baby Einstein videos, not research based, independent studies on the effects of tv, so they think that you not allowing it is extreme, if not detrimental, as much of baby's and children's programing is advertized as educational.

and

5.) They are in denial. They just flat out don't believe that tv is harmful and they will dismiss all information or arguments to the contrary, no matter what they are.

Just my oppinion... At first, it was really hurtful to hear people be so negative about us getting rid of the tv when it was so clear that it was a good decision. So, I tried to get in their shoes.

Anyone have any other ideas?
#724 of 1527 Old 12-17-2005, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexsam
I've also noticed A LOT that people are almost angry when you discuss being tv free. Most of the time, it's a conversation stopper, and occasionally, you get someone who wants to talk, but often they are really upset.

Anyone have any other ideas?
I try to compare it to other equally addictive but more acceptable to give up behaviors.
Like -- people often applaud when a family/ person attempts to go sugar free, caffeine free, give up on drinking, etc.

For me personally, I could NEVER go sugar free. I am a chocolate addict tried and true. And I have friends who aim to be sugar free in their homes, but they watch TV. So I say, wow good for you on the sugar free, that's something I am not brave enough to try. But we gave up on TV a year and a half ago...
Or - oh well you took up jogging to improve your quality of life, well we gave up TV for the same reasons.

If you try to compare it to something else that person might go without, it may "normalize" it and make it seem less threatening.

Mama to Zach 6-18-04 & Naia 10-13-10 Partner to the sweetest DH. Loving our life afloat. TV Free!
#725 of 1527 Old 12-21-2005, 03:03 AM

So true, Alexsam. We hosted Thanksgiving at our house this year for the first time and my extended family members actually seemed really annoyed to not be able to watch the game after the meal. But we all talked about a lot of things, played chess, played with the kids, had some heart-to-heart chats. It was fun. Unfortunately, quite a bit of the conversations in the beginning of the gathering centered around particular t.v. shows. Whatever. It's their addiction, not mine. When my brother realized that the t.v. wasn't hooked up and he couldn't watch the game, he says, "What do you live on? A farm?" Dh and I are both like "I wish!"

I find myself not bringing it up too often at all anymore. I also notice that people get the same type of anger when I mention that we won't eat at McDonald's ever again. Or that we aren't huge fans of Disney. Or Leap Pad toys. Or --insert terribly popular waste of time here--. People get really defensive. I can usually tell when it's a good idea to continue that conversation or to just change the subject. More often than not, I change the subject. I'm tired of the conversations that start off with, "I learned so much from Sesame Street when I was a kid...". As if there were only one way to learn your letters....

hang.gif  

#726 of 1527 Old 12-21-2005, 06:26 AM

We have a TV free home!! My kids don't mind at all. We do on occasion watch DVDs on my computer but that's it. We use the entertainment armoire in our living room to store games and blocks. I think tv is a waste of time and the hynotic state it has on people is sickening.
#727 of 1527 Old 12-21-2005, 08:16 AM

This may have been brought up before, I've been in this thread for a long time but I can't remember. It's just something that's been on my mind lately.

does anyone else have trouble rationalizing using the computer when you or your child is TV free?

I do, and sometimes I feel like a hypocrite for being online while dd isn't allowed TV. Although the computer does have alot of benefits, to me it's also 'screen time' and it's also something I have a hard time regulating for myself. Despite my constant best efforts I spend more time in front of it than I originally intend almost every time I use it! Sometimes I wonder if sitting in front of this glowing box really fits in with natural family living at all... or I should say, with what I consider natural family living.

Also, I worry about what kind of behavior I am modeling. I worry I will have a 5 year old that begs to use the computer all the time because she sees mommy and daddy use it.

Does anyone else worry about this, or is the computer just completely different to you? I think I am gearing myself up for a computer free spring/summer, and to be honest the thought isn't a pleasant one.

(And I want to be clear, I am not online for hours at a time or anything. But, it is present and it is used in front of her. I doubt I'd be considered an addict by anyone else's standards, but how much we use it troubles _me_.)

flowersforyou.gif

#728 of 1527 Old 12-21-2005, 09:05 AM

I am 22 wks pg with first child. Husband and I don't have a TV. I never have time for TV even before I left my family house. Same for husband... The only thing I miss about not having a tv/vcr are my workout videos. I have a DVD player on my comp, but it will prob take a good while to get a workout video collection going again.

I also spend alot of time online, but I have been cutting back. I should get a timer and start timing myself. I also love to listen to lectures (mostly religious), watch DemocracyNow.org, listen to the BBC, and listen to the PACIFICA RADIO NETWORK (kpft in houston is the station i listen to).

My question is what do yall do when your nursing a small baby? Mom said I need a TV so I am not bored. lol Do yall talk to your baby? (THat might get boring of 20+ minutes of straight talking w/o a reply?) Do you read a book and read it out loud so the baby hears? Open for ideas....
#729 of 1527 Old 12-21-2005, 02:31 PM

Hi, new to the site, but have lurked in the past...Anyway, we're t.v. free too.

Rivka, mommy to 3 big boys and a set of b/g twins
#730 of 1527 Old 12-21-2005, 03:50 PM

Muslimah- often you'll just look at your tiny baby nursing soaking in every cell of his or her being. I actually decided to give up tv when my first baby was born and I was sitting there nursing...I tuned into her not into the tube. You'll sleep...pregancy, birth, and caring for a newborn baby can be really tiring- you'll probably want to sleep. Nursing can be very meditative...just have quiet time.
You might be able to read- depending on how you and your baby nurse- position wise. And, you could talk on the phone.
Also, some of the time after you establish good latch habits you may be able to have your baby in a sling carrier and actually still do various things while he or she nurses...but I'm all for just sitting down and watching your baby nurse!
#731 of 1527 Old 12-21-2005, 05:26 PM

A few comments :

- I think there are some similarities between the computer and the tv (they can both be kind of addictive, it is a screen, etc.) but I also think there are some important differences.
1.) You have much greater control of what you are exposed to on the computer. You can frequent sites with minimal or no advertizing, the sites are often very clear (in writing!) about their purposes and beliefs.
2.) The computer allows people to connect. Its not the same as talking or getting together, but there are actually people on the other end and you can communicate with them.
3.) It is (or can be) interactive and it does not require subjecting people to rapidly changing images. There are some games that might be an appropriate fun/educational opportunity (with guidance and limits!) for kids and grown ups. You can also turn it off and come back to it later.

-For what to do while nursing with no tv... I have found more than anything, THIS is what really allowed me to open up and start discovering who I was. For a long time, I kept saying I wanted to read "the classics", but I never had time. So here I was, "stuck" in a rocker under a sleeping baby for hours. What more was I looking for? I read the Grapes of Wrath. Then, East Of Eden. Then I read the entire works of John Steinbeck. Then, I got on an Asian kick and read current and classic works from the East. I was hooked. I totally had my eyes opened! What an amazing world is out there! What talent and beauty! What richness! I started to crochet. I started a journal. I subscribed to the New York Times. I began writing letters. I listened to full programs on NPR. "Stuck" under a baby? My mind was finally free! And, of course, I had hours to stare at my perfect angel and think about what kind of mother I wanted to be and how I was going to accomplish that. And sometimes, I just slept....
#732 of 1527 Old 12-21-2005, 07:53 PM

I do not use the computer with the kids in the room. I realized around the time Ezra was 3 that it is pretty similar to tv. I also really do not want them to see me staring at a screen all day. So, I agree with Attila on this.

However, in reference to the next post, I do spend time on the computer when I nurse. I also have read untold numbers of pages nursing. We had videos when Ezra was a baby, but I just did not use it much. I had a friend who seemed inert during that intnse nursing time, and I think part of her problem was that she would get sucked into tv. nak...
#733 of 1527 Old 12-21-2005, 10:14 PM

Some questions for you all. I am kind of ready to make this a New Years resolution for my TV addicted kids. They are 2 1/2 and 4 1/2. The TV watching has gotten really out of control mostly due to my laziness. Lately I feel like they are constantly asking me to watch something, like it is getting to be the only way they can entertain themselves. I am starting to hear things like "I'm bored" a lot.

I feel like it is a vicious cycle because I turn on the tv when I'm having a stressful day and they are a bit wild but I think that watching too much tv is making them misbehave. I have been telling myself that it isn't so bad because I am careful about what they watch.

So my question-I know I am going to hide the tv away in a closet for dh and I to watch movies sometimes but how do I explain to my kids why I am making such a drastic change in their lives? I mean we watch a bit each day. I am going to hear things like but it was fine yesterday. Maybe cold turkey isn't best in our situation.

How do you get a few minutes to decompress without using the TV as a babysitter? I know that sounds horrible but honest.

We do go outside a lot. I can't believe that I am starting this in the winter when we will be able to go outside less often. I live in the south so we get a lot of cold rainy days or ice-not snow.

I am totally against some tv viewing and I would love to have some kind of monthly family movie night as a treat but I want this daily stuff to end.
#734 of 1527 Old 12-21-2005, 10:50 PM

Personally, I think cold turkey is best. In our house, when we have had a turn around like this, we say something like, "Daddy and Mama have decided that we will only have dessert once a week. Let's see how it goes." And sure there's some balking, but the matter is simply not open for discussion. This would not work in a household that worked in a more democratic fashion.

As for how to get a break- First, until your kids are over their jones for it, you will probably not get a break and will probably be working harder. But, once their withdrawal is over, you might find breaks just happen. My kids have played together REALLY well since they were 2 and 4. I definitely have many 10 minute brain breaks in a day, and I have at least 1 hour long stretch every day in which they are just occupied with each other. They are VERY good at entertaining themselves and they need less help than some kids who watch tv need.
#735 of 1527 Old 12-24-2005, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila the Honey
does anyone else have trouble rationalizing using the computer when you or your child is TV free?
So many excellent ideas to respond to! For now, I'll just take this one because it's one my husband and I were talking about today. I'll repeat some of what has been said, though.

I definitely think about this issue -- sometimes we'll watch "Maya movies" on the computer, movies I've taken with our digital camera. Surely the same as tv on most levels. And, today, Maya was with her gramma, grampa, and cousin and we said yes (we actually SUGGESTED) that an activity would be to go to the sesamestreetworkshop website to see zoey dancing and grover doing an exercise thing, "do this!" he says in a weird electronic voice.

It feels in total conflict with our tv-free life we've given her, but, if you read any of my recent posts or blog stuff you'll know that I have had literally almost NO moments to myself and certainly NONE with just Josh. So, I needed to be sure she'd "let me" go out without her.

I thought about so many things with this... I certainly don't think she's DAMAGED because of it, but, I realized that as she gets older I don't want to be a "computer potato" in front of her -- at this point, at 2.5 yrs old, she would never let me just sit at the computer, she'd definitely need my attention. But, after she goes to bed it's silly how often I just sit in front of the computer zoning out...

One of the things Josh and I talked about today was how both TV and computers are part of "real life" and we believe in teaching media literacy. The idea that she can grow up comfortable with computers is a nice idea for us. I don't believe, yet, that there are computer activities worthy of her time. But, I suspect as she grows older, I'll research it and may find some that seem truly interactive and positively stimulating.

Ah, so many things I want to respond to in this wonderful, wonderful thread!!! Thanks for starting it!

--Heather
#736 of 1527 Old 12-24-2005, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muslimah
My question is what do yall do when your nursing a small baby? Mom said I need a TV so I am not bored. lol Do yall talk to your baby? (THat might get boring of 20+ minutes of straight talking w/o a reply?) Do you read a book and read it out loud so the baby hears? Open for ideas....
Hmmm... this is a tough one for me. First of all, 20 minutes sounds like a REALLY short nursing session in my experience. ;-) The thing that happened for me (and I KNOW it varies for each nursing pair) is that Maya would wake or get distracted with turning pages of a magazine or book. That never worked for me. These days I can do it if she's really close to deep sleep, but, not that often.

What I do is watch tv with the closed captions on. She doesn't see or hear it and it does help pass the time when I'm not falling asleep with her or getting some much needed "space out/chill" time. If she turns at all, I turn it off and I only turn it on after she's started to fall asleep. I'm sure she must know I turn it on, though.

A little unrelated, but a thought I've been having: We've talked about how mommy and daddy believe that television is really hard for babies and children's brains or minds to handle. That her little brain is working really hard on growing and learning and talking and that we don't want it to get too cluttered or messy; that tv could make her mind feel too busy. That's why grown-ups sometimes watch tv but in our family, children don't. So far, that works for us.

Again, love this thread!

--Heather
#737 of 1527 Old 12-25-2005, 09:54 AM

I'm new, We're "sort of" tv free.

We do have 2 tv's. One in the living room with a PS2 hooked up to it and one in the master bedroom with a DVD player and a VCR hooked up to it.

however we have no cable. And only once have we watched anything on the bedroom tv.

The living room tv it mainly for my husband's video games. He has an outlet which is videogames, I respect that and am not going to take it from him.

... sometimes we use the tv for baby einstein. But frankly. in the past month and a half, we've only had baby einstein on twice and that only because my husband and I were so sick we couldn't read her books without jumping to throw up every other page.

Our daughter does occassionally sit down and watch DH play his videogames. We "caught" her the other day with the tv off and the video game controller out "playing" (moving the buttons and analog stick). And as much as dislike her having tv time, I'm not taking the video games away from DH. (he'd be so depressed)

As for computers, well, we spend too much time with them, on them, etc but justifiebly so currently. We are both full time online students.

GREAT MOM to dd (5) and )ds( [sept 26 2006]
#738 of 1527 Old 12-30-2005, 10:58 PM

Hi, can I join in? We're not TV-free yet, but we're definitely moving in that direction. I just started doing some reading on the subject (I'm about 1/4 of the way through The Plug-In Drug) and DH and have an ongoing discussion about it. He is actually pretty open to the idea, which amazes me, because the man loves him some Simpsons. We both have shows we like and B.H. (before Henry) we would watch 1/2 hour or so a night in bed before going to sleep.

Since Henry has been born, though, I've been SUPER cautious not to let him see the screen or be exposed to much of the noise. As he gets older it gets more and more difficult -- if not impossible -- to keep him away from it if it's on. He's just completely DRAWN to the screen. Even before doing research I had a gut feeling that this was not what I wanted for him. And having been a nanny and stepmom for ten years I KNOW that "limiting" TV doesn't really work.

My stepsons (15 & 17) are completely addicted to video games (they'll play them every waking hour at times) and I find it so sad. We'll probably keep the TV we have in the basement (I banished them down there so I don't have to see it) or they won't want to come over anymore. Seriously. Although if it breaks or Henry becomes aware of it, that TV is going also.

My stepdaughter (12) has Down Syndrome and is pretty addicted to videos as well. She always wants Henry to watch a movie with her. I think it would be much better just to get the TV's out of the house.

Sorry this is so rambling...I'm excited to take this step but need to do some more reading/thinking/discussing in order to gear up for it. It will be worth it, though, just to blow my in-laws' minds...they are so all about TV!

Formerly New Mama to Henry, born August 2005 and Silas, born November 2010.
#739 of 1527 Old 12-31-2005, 01:00 AM

I had to respond, especially to MommyOfTwo. I have two kids too and once that TV is gone your kids will actually play together, not just be bored zombies. I have an almost two year old and almost 5 year old. I said bye to TV when my son was 3. It's a terrible drug. It destroys imagination and they beg for more!!! My excuse to him was, "THe doctor said we can't watch TV anymore. IT's bad for us." This may have been lame, but it worked. For three days he begged and then that was it. It's great. My little one has never seen it and my big boy NEVER asks anymore. All you need are crayons, books, dolls, scarves, etc.. I find that going one place a day really helps, even if it's just grocery shopping. Go to the library if it's cold or visit a friend. Or if things get crazy just start making up crazy songs! Also, take a walk every day if possible. Even if it lasts 20 minutes.

Also, I only go on the computer at night.
#740 of 1527 Old 12-31-2005, 01:12 AM

I just wanted to jump in and say that I have been using the late afternoon (4 pm or so) story time around here and it has helped SO much. Just when I think we are all about to go bezerk, I make a big deal about picking up the living room and then we spread a big comfy blanket out. Today my 3 year old cleaned the room up all by himself (and he was very proud of it). Woo-hoo. We also have been getting the books-on-tape and the boys love that (someone elses voice other then mine for a change!).

I also make sure dinner is planned and prepared as much as possible so I don't have to worry about it during this time.

So whoever it was that suggested that - THANKS!
#741 of 1527 Old 12-31-2005, 10:54 AM

I love all these ideas! Maya is just 2.5 and has no interest in tv, but I imagine once her world gets wider, it'll be more of an issue.

Josh and I have talked about getting rid of the beast entirely, but it is truly a drug and neither one of us is ready to go clean. I justify this choice by keeping the tv closed in the armoir. I started the tv-free-kiddos Yahoo! list to talk about just the kind of thing we're talking about in this thread, but it's really got me thinking seriously about how much better my life is when *I* don't watch tv. I will say that I said no to reruns on Thursday, kept the thing off all evening. Very nice.

Back to mothering issues...I guess what I meant to add here was about how I can spend the whole day with Maya and realize at the end of the day that I haven't REALLY spent time with her. That is, I'm always doing something -- she helps, etc. But I do think that making a point of having at least a chunk or two of time where it's ENTIRELY devoted to playing JUST how she wants to play. Know what I mean?

This is related to her tv-free-ness because even though we don't have that nightmare stimulation in her life, it's really easy to go FAST in living. Slowing down is so important.

--Heather
#742 of 1527 Old 01-01-2006, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamastar
I had to respond, especially to MommyOfTwo. I have two kids too and once that TV is gone your kids will actually play together, not just be bored zombies. I have an almost two year old and almost 5 year old. I said bye to TV when my son was 3. It's a terrible drug. It destroys imagination and they beg for more!!! My excuse to him was, "THe doctor said we can't watch TV anymore. IT's bad for us." This may have been lame, but it worked. For three days he begged and then that was it. It's great. My little one has never seen it and my big boy NEVER asks anymore. All you need are crayons, books, dolls, scarves, etc.. I find that going one place a day really helps, even if it's just grocery shopping. Go to the library if it's cold or visit a friend. Or if things get crazy just start making up crazy songs! Also, take a walk every day if possible. Even if it lasts 20 minutes.

Also, I only go on the computer at night.
Thanks a lot for this post-It leaves me feeling very optimistic. I just told my dd that we feel that we have been watching too much tv and that we are going to make an effort to find other things to do. She seems fine with the idea. We have a lot of new Christmas toys so that should help. This certainly isn't the easiest time of year to start this-I love the taking a walk idea and we do often but it is harder getting out in Winter.
#743 of 1527 Old 01-01-2006, 02:55 PM

DH, Henry and I were at a New Year's Eve gathering at a friend's house last night. There were lots of kids running around and everyone there was a parent. One of the dads looked at the 19" TV my friends have in their livingroom and asked, "Is it a European thing to have such a small TV?" (The woman is from Germany.) And then someone else joined in, and they turned to me and asked it again.

And THEN the guy said, "And they don't even have cable TV, either!"

IMAGINE THAT! She's a doctor and he's a PhD candidate, they have a two-year-old and are due with another, and they have a "small" TV with no cable!

#744 of 1527 Old 01-02-2006, 12:20 AM

THis thread is so great! I laughed at Serene Mom's thread about trying to read while nursing. It is impossible! I didn't want to watch TV, so I sometimes catch up on phone calls. I have to admit sometimes in the middle of the night I would want the nursing to end, end, end! Then I read something in Mothering and it was like an epiphany. I started to realize this is the only time between us in the dark and just BE THERE! How amazing.

And going back to TV and the whole computer conflict. I'm going to keep my kids TV free until they are seven. (Then really, really limit it or never use it. WE'll see) NEVER GAMEBOY!!! yikes. And introduce computers around 12. But I do let them look at pictures of themselves on the computer. (You can't be too extreme.)

Last night being New Year's Eve and being older with two young kids, I started looking back on my life. there are so many things I accomplished and many things I haven't yet. (Unfortunatel some are too late) I see time as limited, espeically when we are young. Do I want my kids to just watch TV or learn to knit, learn an instrument, read books, TALK! Who knows? But now my time is scarce and I really see how most people spend all their time watching TV adn then even worse, discussing it.
#745 of 1527 Old 01-02-2006, 12:39 AM

Just a quick aside that really struck me...

We got our sunday paper today and we usually have a nice sunday morning reading the comics, eating a big breakfast, lazing around in our pjs... anyway... today my husband and I noticed that there were A LOT of tv drawings and mentionings in the cartoons. In fact, our rough estimate after counting some was about 75% of the cartoons featured a tv or talked about tv.

It is everywhere!

And mamastar, I'm totally with you on getting out of the house once a day. Absolutly essential! And we walk too- even in the cold (it's shorter on cold days, but I want my son to know the feeling of a cold day and also I think a little bit of natural light and fresh air each day is important. Obviously, if it's REALLY bad we don't go, but there is FEELING in the smell of a winter wind and warming pink fingers at home in the toasty livingroom... too much protection deprives us of that... )
#746 of 1527 Old 01-04-2006, 03:11 PM

Hi everyone!
Can i join??? Yesterday was our first tv free day and it was great! We now have our record player where the tv used to be. DD is 8.5 months old and I do not want her growing up watching the boob tube like I did. It's such a relief to not have a television plugged in, my husband watched it way more than me so it's a bit hard for him. DD and I are listening to NPR at the moment, ahhhh NPR. Anyway, just wanted to say hi!
Michelle
#747 of 1527 Old 01-04-2006, 05:18 PM

hope i can join in...

we were tv free since our oldest was born. My kids are 4.5, 2.5, and 8 months. With the birth of our youngest and her hospitilization at 7 weeks we did start watching some videos on the computer. Never daily, more like every few weeks- but when we did turn it on it would be on for a few hours so dh could work or I could tend to the baby. I hate it, and feel pretty guilty about it. but dh had to keep working and I was in a bit over my head. I didn't come online in that time, I really was constantly busy with the baby. We were watching yoga kids, yoga dvd's and imax blue planet movies with the occassional dora courtesy of family. lol. We also have a portable van tv for long haul's like 8-20 hour drives we've had to do. i feel less bad about that...

Now that life has settled we've stopped watching the occassional videos on the computer... I think they've taken it all in stride. The day after we watched they'd always have to detox sort of.

Anyway, we are getting back to a place where we only turn it on for the occasional long drives across our country. I'm glad life is settling. Glad to find this thread.

#748 of 1527 Old 01-05-2006, 09:04 PM

We haven't become TV-free YET, so I should probably stop posting here. And I will (until I can put my money where my mouth is), but I wanted to relay a story. I started a post on a mainstream board asking if anyone there was TV-free, and I can't BELIEVE the number of people who said that they thought TV helped their kids be MORE creative (i.e., gave them ideas for things to play, like "Batman" or whatever).

I was shocked.

Also, I told my mom we were thinking of getting rid of our TV, and she said, "Well, don't get RID of it." Ummm, isn't that what getting rid of it means?

Okay, off to do more thinking/reading/discussing.

ETA: I just realized that my kid is TV-free (he's only five months, but he is!) -- it's just that DH and I haven't weaned ourselves yet. So I can stay! Yay!

#749 of 1527 Old 01-07-2006, 05:48 AM

My family always make comments like that butin the end, they've come to really respect the differences and respect how much we find to do without the TV.

People are always telling me that TV is educational and i'm doing my kids a disservice... my one friend told me she felt sorry for my kids.

shrug
#750 of 1527 Old 01-07-2006, 11:17 AM

Rainbow -- I just read your siggy. WOW! I thought my 8lb 6oz homebirthed baby was big!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page