Mamas of TV Free Children Rollcall - Page 51 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1501 of 1527 Old 01-16-2008, 04:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have a TV, but don't watch it much at all - well, lately DH and I have watched occasionally after DS is asleep for the night, though I want to kick that habit too. Anyway, I've played music on the computer (usually youtube) while helping DS fall asleep... (he loves the Beatles), and recently (he's 14mos) he's been interested in *watching* in addition to listening (while he nurses to sleep...) So that's been tricky. I've put on a video a few times, either a music video, or old school sesame street when I've needed him to calm down to sleep. I really don't want to get in that habit though. Yesterday I did this and he cried when I turned it off - YIKES! So even though it's not quite the same as TV, It's something I need to consciously avoid for him.

I'm thinking about just getting rid of our (1) TV altogether. Not sure what I'd put in it's place though in the entertainment center... hmm

Amanda , mama to my two boys: N (10/06) and : A (7/09)
#1502 of 1527 Old 01-17-2008, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loraxc View Post
Man, the pressure to intro TV to DD (about to be 4) is really intense now. She saw her first movies the other week at the temporary babysitter's. Her daycare was closed, so some of her teachers from school did group childcare at their houses. There is certainly no TV at school, so I foolishly assumed there would be none there. WRONG. She came home babbling about the scary fish in Nemo and talking about Lightning McQueen. GRRR. Even after we asked them to please avoid movies for her, they said it "wasn't practical" because if how they set up the day (there were two of them watching 6-7 kids...come on).

I'm really sad and bummed that DD's first movies were a) without our consent b) without us present and C) not at all what we would have chosen. I know no one will get this but you guys.

yep, i totally get it.
#1503 of 1527 Old 01-20-2008, 06:28 PM

I did not have a TV before I married. My brother in law thought this was the weirdest thing ever. I wouldn't have one now except DH "has" to have it. They are a real TV family. I have banished my husband's to the basement but it has satellite and an extra sports package and I don't know what else. DH works very hard and so at night he just wants to chill in front of the TV. I sometimes join him after ds goes down for news and a couple shows but when dh watches sports, which is most of the time, I stay upstairs. No boob tube for ds, he has the boobies!
#1504 of 1527 Old 01-24-2008, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loraxc View Post
Man, the pressure to intro TV to DD (about to be 4) is really intense now. She saw her first movies the other week at the temporary babysitter's. Her daycare was closed, so some of her teachers from school did group childcare at their houses. There is certainly no TV at school, so I foolishly assumed there would be none there. WRONG. She came home babbling about the scary fish in Nemo and talking about Lightning McQueen. GRRR. Even after we asked them to please avoid movies for her, they said it "wasn't practical" because if how they set up the day (there were two of them watching 6-7 kids...come on).

I'm really sad and bummed that DD's first movies were a) without our consent b) without us present and C) not at all what we would have chosen. I know no one will get this but you guys.
*hugs*

I'm sorry mama. That is rough! We are not tv-free, but hope to be soon. I am very particular about what ds watches though and was so upset when my MIL put on Star Wars AND Harry Potter for him! (He was only 3 for SW's and 4 for HP!). It is so disrespectful of other people to make those decisions that mean so much to you.
#1505 of 1527 Old 01-24-2008, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunieMoon View Post
*hugs*

I'm sorry mama. That is rough! We are not tv-free, but hope to be soon. I am very particular about what ds watches though and was so upset when my MIL put on Star Wars AND Harry Potter for him! (He was only 3 for SW's and 4 for HP!). It is so disrespectful of other people to make those decisions that mean so much to you.
Yikes! How inappropriate is that! I think I'm going to have a lot of trouble with my husband about that. He's a SW geek and I'm sure he won't understand why I don't want a small child watching it with him. And he's already talking about watching baseball games with the baby. Yes, that's right - watching baseball on TV with the baby. I'm sure an infant would be just thrilled.
#1506 of 1527 Old 01-25-2008, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunieMoon View Post
It is so disrespectful of other people to make those decisions that mean so much to you.

I have found that most people just assume we watch tv so are not even aware how important that decision is for our family.
I've found I have to tell people that we don't watch TV. I can't just assume that they would know, cause they don't. Especially in our culture where its pretty rare to not even own a box.
I also have to tell babysitters, no TV.

What does suck is telling my mom or mil, every single time the kids are dropped off, no TV. I mean, they should know better.
#1507 of 1527 Old 02-13-2008, 12:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I just wanted to pop in and tell you guys how great I feel not having a TV. I feel less stressed and not having to keep up with "show". My son is doing well. He is having me read more to him.(without me asking) and on and on. I hope to have time to read more soon.
#1508 of 1527 Old 02-13-2008, 06:32 PM

We got rid of our TV several months ago, and I can honestly say that it is so much better, and I do not miss it at all. The only thing I still struggle with is that places like PBS and Nick Jr have episodes on their website, so you can still watch for hours there. They also change them every so often, so it's new. At first, I was trying to limit this too, but my 3 yo does not understand, so I just let it go, and eventually the novelty wore off. I still have a problem with limiting computer, but at least the TV is gone.

If anyone has any insight about dealing with the computer, because it is still media, I'd be glad to hear!

Best!
#1509 of 1527 Old 02-13-2008, 07:46 PM

we have the issue w/ computer time, too. dd spends time on starfall.com or on PBS kids either playing games or watching clips or sometimes watches this other streamable media we get on discovery.com (its a teacher's website). she tends to not be very good at self-limiting and every time she gets bored, its her first thought.
she's almost 4, so we are starting to basically impose a 1 hour per day limit. letting her know how much she's used, letting her know when 10 minutes are up, so she can get a sense of how long an hour is. talking to her about when she wants to use it (well, its only 9 am and you've already used 15 minutes) etc. its just so hard in the winter, etc.

L married to J 8 years. Parents to 6 y.o. dd and 3 y.o. ds :nana
Veggie Family
#1510 of 1527 Old 02-14-2008, 04:09 AM

Hi everyone! I am really thinking about joining you! Did everyone who used to have a tv friendly home, just quit cold turkey?
I know my dh would throw a fit if I did away with the tvs. he does watch a little after the kids go to bed, but I am tired of it on during the day, all day. I have foolishly started the habit for "backround noise" and now my kids are hooked. I know it is my fault not theirs and I wish I had known more about the subject before I started the habit! I just feel there are so much more they can do (they don't sit in front of it all day or anything, but it bothers me when they are playing and they get distracted and stop playing to stare at the tv for a few minutes.)
Anyways..HI!
#1511 of 1527 Old 02-14-2008, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkenna&lucas View Post
Did everyone who used to have a tv friendly home, just quit cold turkey?
We quit watching commercial television cold turkey. It was easier on us all to have music on.
We still watch movies every now and then. More so now that its below 0. Movies are much easier to regulate than television IMO. Once its over, thats it. No more screen time.

Like a pp, our problem has now become internet games and the stupid Nintendo DS my mother bought the kids for christmas. Thats not as easy to regulate. I've been throwing around the idea of selling the DS.
#1512 of 1527 Old 02-22-2008, 07:41 PM

We are TV-Free (and I think I've posted in this thread), but I generally don't come to this thread, because I really have trouble following the big threads that cover multiple topics.

I'm dropping in to ask if anyone knows anything about a TV-Free subforum yet? I noticed there are unschooling and multi-cultural forums now, so shouldn't TV-Free be coming up soon? I can hope.
#1513 of 1527 Old 02-26-2008, 02:39 AM

We went cold turkey on cable/broadcast tv, and kept doing movies and Netflix and online/downloaded shows. We still do those sometimes, though only when Naked Baby is sleeping, and we're both home, so not much.

So I wanted to come here to talk about the weirdest part of being no-TV, which is that people keep recommending it as part of a parent strategy. Example: Naked Baby's legs don't straighten all the way, and we're supposed to stretch them for him. Yea, keep an almost 1yo in one place while I hurt his legs, that's gonna work. So multiple people I've talked to have recommended turning on the TV so I can do that. Uh, no? Or when I ask about trimming his nails (which is a trial these days): do it while he's watching TV!

And then when I mention that we don't really do TV, people tend to get defensive and talk about why they do. Well, OK, that's fine, it works for you. It doesn't work for me. I'm a TV addict - if I turned on the TV, I would watch it all. the. time. There's no such thing as "just one drink" for me. And I'm not going to put my less than one year old in front of the TV just so he'll zone out. But people tend to make it about them.

OK, I have more chatter to do, but my baby is falling asleep and I need to go!
#1514 of 1527 Old 02-26-2008, 01:36 PM

Great job going cold turkey!

Here's my hold up... did you wait for a "perfect" time that would be better to stop or just finally say, "okay, that's enough" and quit that way?
Which is better per se?

Married to a Navy man of 12 yrs.

03/02: 11/05: 01/08: 10-18-09: 10-31-10 and 7/22/13 with twins and just found out we're pos.gif again!!chicken3.gif

cd.gifslingboy.giffamilybed1.gifwinner.jpg

m/c '97 and in '03

#1515 of 1527 Old 02-26-2008, 02:33 PM

We used a move as the timing for doing away with cable, but we still set up the TV, mostly for the Playstation. Since we have no time for games anymore, and we're watching movies on the laptop, we didn't bother doing even that with the most recent move, although we have plans for where/how it's to be set up, if we ever get that far in unpacking.

You don't have to wait for a move or the "perfect" time, though (like there is such a thing!). Try doing a livingroom reorganization, and move the TV into another room as part of that, and just don't hook it up to cable when you move it (and cancel cable - save money!). Set it up to watch videos if you want, so then you're having to deliberately decide to go into another room just to watch something specific that you have chosen, not just turning on the tube 'cause it's there, y'know?

Aaaaand I gotta run again.
#1516 of 1527 Old 02-26-2008, 02:55 PM

Although we don't have children yet, out little family (just the two of us) has been tv free for two years. Our first child is due in May and we've already told folks no tv-themed clothes or toys.

Idea for replacing your tv set? We chose a fish tank. It looks nice, encourages more interaction than just passively watching tv, takes a degree of learning about the fish themselves (and any plants you might use). Cheaper than a cable service subscription, and I use the water (from water changes) to water the plants around the house and they LOVE it! Also if you want to just veg out and watch the fish swim around you can. YAY! for the oft needed mindless activity after a long day!

Downside to fishtank: if you're going big it might be heavier than your tv set...so make sure your entertainment center can hold the size you want!

little tip: be good to your fishes. they are not dumb, just forgetful. 1 inch of fish per gallon of water...anymore and you're looking at diseases and stress. this means bad energy for a house thats trying to get rid of the bad energy emitted from a tv.

sorry for the tangent.

living light husband wife loving life two sons to birth for our light loving earth. :
#1517 of 1527 Old 02-26-2008, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernmommie View Post
Here's my hold up... did you wait for a "perfect" time that would be better to stop or just finally say, "okay, that's enough" and quit that way?
Which is better per se?
I don't know which is better (if there is an absolute better for everyone) but I ended up going cold turkey in the "that's enough" sort of way. Honestly I initially thought I'd still have the kids watch a show while I made dinner if dh was working but it just didn't work for my family. We even tried a monthly movie night but they'd just whine & beg and be miserable over the whole thing when the tv *was* off after that. When I did go cold turkey my older dd stopped asking after maybe 3 days (she was 4 I think) but my younger dd (1 at the time) through daily tantrums in the morning - dragging me to the tv set and pointing and crying - for a couple of weeks. So there was definitely a "detox" time period for them.

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#1518 of 1527 Old 02-27-2008, 05:49 AM

Today was our 1st real day TV free! My ds was very hard to deal with..I really hope he gets use to it quickily. I did find it was better when there was music on low in the back round..I have corrupted my children so much they go crazy at the sound of silence Dh is home tommorrow so I am alittle worried about how tommorrow will go..
#1519 of 1527 Old 03-05-2008, 05:58 PM

Hi,

I wanted to jump into this thread to say that our DS is completely tv-free (19 months) and it's great. I havn't read many of the posts on this loooooong thread, but wanted to lend my support to this thread. I also posted in the "we need a sub-form" thread.

B.
Mama to : July '06
#1520 of 1527 Old 03-05-2008, 06:46 PM

Hi B.

This may have come up before - I only just joined this thread and don't have time to read back - but are there any tv-free unschoolers here?
#1521 of 1527 Old 03-05-2008, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwyn View Post
Hi B.

This may have come up before - I only just joined this thread and don't have time to read back - but are there any tv-free unschoolers here?
I am interested in this too. Our dds are 2.5yrs and 10 mo. We are very drawn to the unschooling philosophy (with a hint of Waldorf inspiration ) and other than DP and I watching the occasional documentary, we are tv free.
#1522 of 1527 Old 03-05-2008, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkenna&lucas View Post
Today was our 1st real day TV free! My ds was very hard to deal with..I really hope he gets use to it quickily. I did find it was better when there was music on low in the back round..I have corrupted my children so much they go crazy at the sound of silence Dh is home tommorrow so I am alittle worried about how tommorrow will go..
How did it go?

Married to a Navy man of 12 yrs.

03/02: 11/05: 01/08: 10-18-09: 10-31-10 and 7/22/13 with twins and just found out we're pos.gif again!!chicken3.gif

cd.gifslingboy.giffamilybed1.gifwinner.jpg

m/c '97 and in '03

#1523 of 1527 Old 03-05-2008, 10:29 PM

TV free here since DD was born 15 months ago and DH works in television advertising (I used to too!)

life has never been better!

and
#1524 of 1527 Old 03-06-2008, 05:06 PM

Hi! Can I join? I haven't read through all the posts (51 pgs!) but thought I'd see anyway! We have always been 'light' tv watchers, and last week our tv broke and we decided to just be a tv free family instead of getting a new one! So far so good--we don't really miss it at all

me, dd1, dd2, ds, and #4 due March 1. dbf has 2 of his own, so it will be an adventure!

i like making things. 

#1525 of 1527 Old 03-06-2008, 05:11 PM

Whew! Make that 70 (plus) pages! Good for us and for not subjecting our kids to tv

me, dd1, dd2, ds, and #4 due March 1. dbf has 2 of his own, so it will be an adventure!

i like making things. 

#1526 of 1527 Old 03-25-2008, 01:24 AM

Join us in MDC's new TV-Free forum! :
#1527 of 1527 Old 03-25-2008, 06:55 PM

Hi all,

I'm moving this here as a sort of TV-Free archive. There's some great stuff in here!

I'm closing it to new posts because, well, we now have a whole forum!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page