Introductions - Page 4 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#91 of 94 Old 10-03-2008, 04:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi! I'm Jackie. I made a sort of intro thread of my own before noticing this one. Oops. Anyway, I grew up tv-free and am on the way back to becoming tv-free again with my own children. Dh and I rent movies occasionally but that's it.

Single student mama to dd 5/04 and ds 11/07.

#92 of 94 Old 10-12-2008, 10:50 PM

I just found this forum and am so excited! We gave our only TV away 2 years ago, and it's really changed our lives. I'm a SAHM, and was starting to get sucked into watching the TV all day long. When my daughter was just over a year, she really started paying attention to it, so we got rid of it. The kids are exposed to TV occasionally at friends and relatives houses, but not on a daily basis. Sometimes I think we'll want a TV when the kids are older, but worry that we'll get hooked. Right now, I'm loving life without the TV.
#93 of 94 Old 10-17-2008, 12:22 AM

How neat to find this thread! I grew up cable free and my parents were not at all keen on allowing my sister & I to watch television. We watched an hour or two together as a family on the weekends, some special moves together during the holidays, and this was it. We all were/are quite the bookworms instead of tv buffs. :

My husband and I went tv-free back when we first got married. At first we just gave up cable, but then realized one day that we never watched the television at all, so we got rid of the set "uglyfying" our living room and replaced the television with yet another beautiful bookshelf that was soon full of books and board games. Our daughter is being raised sans television, electronic toys, or computer time at home. She has played with a few such toys at other homes and seen bits of television, but has never been all that enthused about such entertainment.
#94 of 94 Old 01-15-2009, 07:58 AM

Our goal at the start was to keep our son away from TV for the first 2 years. He just turned 2, and we have no plans to introduce TV anytime soon, though we do get on the internet with him occasionally. Like today he asked me if he could see the "choo-choo cars" and I searched google for steam engine videos, most of which were about 1 minute long, and we watched a few of those.

Overall, my main issue with TV, as others have so well stated, is that it's commercial advertising. I don't want soulless corporations having direct access to my son. So, like others, we avoid character toys and try to focus instead on imaginative, creative play. We've read studies that show that even educational programming on PBS is shown to make children more receptive to commercial advertising (commercial jingles, etc.) and that watching television can be harmful to brain development in certain ways. What I know, is that the few times I've let Kai watch TV, it feels wrong to me. He seems to lose his spark and get too sucked in, and my instincts kick in and tell me he's too young to process that stimulus in a way that's healthy and balanced. I think it's important to tune into him and trust what feels right, and mistrust what feels wrong.

Kai likes to read a lot and will spend lots of time with books. We go to the library a lot and when he wants to just sit back and relax, he'll bring a book and snuggle up and not try to get involved with the reading. He has different reading moods, and we follow his lead.

Admittedly, not having the TV to babysit him, really makes it tougher for me to cook in the kitchen or take important phone calls. Some days I feel frazzled and frustrated like I'm swimming through tar, but most days we find a rhythm and it's very doable.

I'd love to find other parents in Portland that are thoughtful about monitoring the effects of media on their kids, and limiting TV.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page