So, what about those youtube clips? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 03-25-2008, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DH and I have an almost 5 month old daughter. We don't know very many kid songs, so we went on youtube for help. Whoa! We found a ton of little clips with animation. We also found a lot of cute little kiddos singing songs for their home video collection.
So...dd was on my lap and got glued to the computer screen while watching some of those clips.
I don't want her watching anything until she is at least two, maybe longer, maybe never!
Do you think little clips of kids singing kids songs is harmful in any way? I know the animation isn't good. I also thought of the opening of Pandora's box scenario from another post. I don't know what this can lead to... eventually.

DH, and Me plus baby girl (10/07)
#2 of 11 Old 03-25-2008, 04:44 PM

My DD has seen them a few times. I know what you mean about Pandora's box though. What I really don't like about them is you don't quite know what they are till you open them, and then DD is sitting on my lap so if I think they are objectionable, well, she just saw it.

I guess I could spend the time to pre-screen them or something. But I don't want to spend my time that way. So we just stay away from You-Tube. If someone sends me one, I will watch it, but I just don't go to the site to search for things.

Go Green I don't vax either, why mess with perfect?
#3 of 11 Old 03-25-2008, 05:35 PM

I don't want my DS to watch any tv/video at all. And I'm really uncomfortable with him even watching the computer screen much. So I don't do any computing unless he's asleep and get off the computer as soon as he wakes up. Just like appliances and power tools, for now we say computers are for adults.

SAHM to two amazing boys
8-21-05
#4 of 11 Old 03-25-2008, 06:28 PM

I my opinion -- you should avoid it until your daughter is much older. I think DS was closer to 3 before he ever saw a youtube clip. And it is and will be a pandora's box.
If you really like the songs, you can minimize the internet program and just listen to the songs? Or find the artists on iTunes or elsewhere and download the individual songs or albums.
Your babe is SO little still. She doesn't need the visual stimulation and it's not really great for her either.

Here's a little game you all can play. I am a TV producer for a living and have produced a lot of "educational children's programming" in my time. Watch ANYTHING. A TV show, kids singing, monks chanting, any video you can think of. Turn your brain off to the content or turn off the volume and count the number of seconds between scene changes. Every time the picture changes, even just to a wider version of the same shot start over in your counting. I can guarantee you, you won't ever get past 14 seconds. More than likely your average will be 4 seconds. In the industry it's considered a big no-no to let the scene stay stagnant for more than about 7 seconds.

Your baby/toddler/ child's brain will wire itself to receive changes at that pace. Think about that and you'll really see why there are better ways to spend a child's time.

Mama to Zach 6-18-04 & Naia 10-13-10 Partner to the sweetest DH. Loving our life afloat. TV Free!
#5 of 11 Old 03-25-2008, 06:35 PM

I just thought of something else. When my DS little like that we often listened to web streamed radio stations. So like there is an all classical music station, etc. Babies and kids don't have to have "kid music". DS at that age really loved reggae! Music is a great gift for children in any form, don't feel like you need to pander to "kids music" -- there is some lovely kids music out there but there are other options to help you get away from the youtube for you wee one.

Mama to Zach 6-18-04 & Naia 10-13-10 Partner to the sweetest DH. Loving our life afloat. TV Free!
#6 of 11 Old 03-25-2008, 07:13 PM

Just popping in to say that I wish we had never started with youtube! DD (2.5) is addicted, and it drives us bananas. She asks first thing in the morning. We let her watch almost every day (we have specific playlists for her -- SigningTime and Laurie Berkner songs), and try to limit it to just once, but still... that's 20ish minutes, and it bothers me. We don't let her watch on the Sabbath, so maybe we should just have like a month of Sabbaths and wean her off of it! lol
#7 of 11 Old 03-25-2008, 08:46 PM

For youtube I am only comfortable with dd1 watching animals doing their thing - no animated stuff. She seen a few movie trailers while dh is at the computer, but hasn't whined about seeing them again so it doesn't bother me. She is never at the computer alone, and I'm only reading (or writing) there which is not very interesting to her...
#8 of 11 Old 03-25-2008, 10:38 PM

Yep, Pandora's Box. Last summer during a particularly trying day I searched out train videos on YouTube for DS (then two). He was GLUED to the computer, in the way I never wanted him to be glued to the TV. And then he would beg for "trains on 'puter!" It took him a week or two to sort of forget about it -- and then DH slipped (didn't realize I was stopping it, I guess) and DS had a meltdown when we wouldn't let him watch again.

I don't really see any difference between watching things on the computer and on TV.

Formerly New Mama to Henry, born August 2005 and Silas, born November 2010.
#9 of 11 Old 03-26-2008, 01:38 AM

While I totally agree that it's Pandora's box, I do see some differences in youtube and TV. The biggest is that there are no commercials. On top of that, you can choose exactly what and how long DC watches. But nothing is still better.
#10 of 11 Old 03-26-2008, 11:27 AM

Wow, 5 months is really really young. Like a pp mentioned, only go on the computer when your babe is asleep. She will soon forget.
#11 of 11 Old 03-26-2008, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beansricerevolt View Post
Wow, 5 months is really really young. Like a pp mentioned, only go on the computer when your babe is asleep. She will soon forget.
ITA! I missed the part about her being 5 months. Way too young. I think 2-3 years is too young. Get some CDs from the library or something. That should be fine.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page