Do your older kids see movies in theaters? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-25-2008, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD is 4 and has never been to a movie. There aren't very many I'd be okay with her seeing anyway, so it's not much of an issue, but I think eventually it will be an issue we need to look at. Just curious what others do.

grateful mother to DD, 1/04, and DS, 2/08

#2 of 5 Old 03-25-2008, 08:49 PM

I'm not very comfortable with it being a regular thing until dd1 can read...I'd like her to experience alot of those stories as books first, as I did.

We've taken her to a couple IMAX documentaries about the ocean and lions, etc. To me it is very different from TV because it is a shared experience we can all talk about afterwards; it happens very rarely; it's not being used as a babysitter or in lieu of other "real-life" experiences.
#3 of 5 Old 03-25-2008, 11:19 PM

Mine is still young (almost 5) but I will be interested to see the answers as it has been on my mind as well. We are nowhere near being ready to see movies and probably won't be for some time.

I don't think that my daughter is emotionally ready to deal with the scenarios in movies, she's incredibly sensitive and empathetic. In addition to which the noise, darkness and giant flashing pictures would really freak her out.

Since, like many of us, I grew up with TV and movies I don't remember my first movie. I wonder if our TV free kids who are less desensitized react to the movie experience differently.
#4 of 5 Old 03-26-2008, 11:32 AM

We've taken DD (almost 10 ) several times. DS (almost 3), not yet. We actually tried one of those planetarium movies that show you stars and such and he lasted about 5 mins. Waste of $.
We love going to the theater. Its a great experience!
#5 of 5 Old 04-01-2008, 09:51 AM

dd just turned four and has never been to the movie theater. (well, ok, actually, she went with us to one of the harry potter movies when she was still a tiny nursling (i'm guessing 4 months old) and was not aware of the screen at all -- i think she was just glad to be in airconditioning and slept and nursed the whole time.)

I think that in many ways, the large theater screens can be more overwhelming than a TV screen. And, at least at this age, I feel very uncomfortable with the fact that I won't truly know what's going to happen in the movie until it does. (as opposed to a video, for example, that perhaps I've already seen).

I agree that going to the movies can be a fun experience. But I'm guessing I won't feel comfortable with it for us until DD is at least 8 or 9, guess we'll see....

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page