How do you follow politics/current events? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 03-27-2008, 12:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Or am I the only no TVer who also doesn't do newpapers or newsmagazines?

I sometimes listen to NPR, but honestly not that much/often. I avoid major news sites for the same reason I avoid news papers (although I usually read the headlines when in coffee shops). Generally, I figure if something is really important, I'll hear about it from someone who is exposed to those (or other) sources, and I'm mostly just as happy not being up to date.

It does leave me woefully ignorant some of the time, though. I have a desire to keep up with the election this year, but I'm not sure how to go about it (we did turn on NPR on Super Tuesday, and will do the same on election night I assume, but I haven't caught any of the debates I'm interested in because I don't listen/watch/read the news enough to know when they were ahead of time!).

So do you (and if so, how) keep up with the "news"?
#2 of 22 Old 03-27-2008, 01:06 AM

http://news.bbc.co.uk/

my source

Mama to Zach 6-18-04 & Naia 10-13-10 Partner to the sweetest DH. Loving our life afloat. TV Free!
#3 of 22 Old 03-27-2008, 11:37 AM

I get mine from 3 sources: NPR on the radio or on the web for pretty much everything, the BBC on the web (for a more international view on everything but Middle Eastern news), and the Jerusalem Post online (for my second view on Middle Eastern news).

boatbaby, I don't want to start anything, but make sure your Middle Eastern news is coming from multiple sources. The BBC is VERY anti-Israel, and the articles are dangerously slanted sometimes. Just make sure you're checking elsewhere for ME news because it's so politically charged and they've made a point of taking a side. AP and Reuters are also good for ME news.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#4 of 22 Old 03-27-2008, 01:35 PM

NPR, the New York Times online, and alternet.org.

grateful mother to DD, 1/04, and DS, 2/08

#5 of 22 Old 03-27-2008, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeisnotapirate View Post
I get mine from 3 sources: NPR on the radio or on the web for pretty much everything, the BBC on the web (for a more international view on everything but Middle Eastern news), and the Jerusalem Post online (for my second view on Middle Eastern news).

boatbaby, I don't want to start anything, but make sure your Middle Eastern news is coming from multiple sources. The BBC is VERY anti-Israel, and the articles are dangerously slanted sometimes. Just make sure you're checking elsewhere for ME news because it's so politically charged and they've made a point of taking a side. AP and Reuters are also good for ME news.
Thanks, I'm always looking for other good news sources and points of view. And there are no perfect sources, that's for sure.

Mama to Zach 6-18-04 & Naia 10-13-10 Partner to the sweetest DH. Loving our life afloat. TV Free!
#6 of 22 Old 03-27-2008, 10:31 PM

Talk radio and the internet.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#7 of 22 Old 03-27-2008, 11:38 PM

I'm not tv free, but I don't watch tv news programs. Newspaper, internet. Much wider selection of opinions available there than on tv anyway.

OT but the tv free forum in the books, music and media forum so the no media forum in the media forum. weird.
#8 of 22 Old 03-27-2008, 11:45 PM - Thread Starter

The diaper-free forum is in the diaper forum, too.
#9 of 22 Old 03-28-2008, 12:01 AM

NPR is on pretty much all day. And I read the NY Times.
#10 of 22 Old 03-28-2008, 12:34 AM

we are considering going tv free. a minus in our book is that we like to watch election returns.
#11 of 22 Old 03-28-2008, 12:47 AM - Thread Starter

Well, listening to NPR on Super Tuesday worked pretty well for us. Bonus - less irritating commentary (to me, anyway), and we cooked dinner at the same time, not being glued to a screen.
#12 of 22 Old 03-28-2008, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiePie View Post
we are considering going tv free. a minus in our book is that we like to watch election returns.
You can hear election returns on the radio and get them up to the minute on cnn.com and such.

If there is something you really want to watch, you can go to a friend's house. My guilty pleasure is the OSCARS. So we have an Oscar night party at a neighbor's place and it's our once a year TV watching night.

#13 of 22 Old 03-28-2008, 02:17 PM

NPR is pretty much constantly on. And I frequent the news and current events thread on here quite a bit.
#14 of 22 Old 03-29-2008, 11:20 PM

1 - newspaper, 2 - NPR (used to be #1 but the ds1 doesn't like it and pitches a fit for "children's music" if I turn it on ), 3 - internet

Keeping busy with 2 boys & 1 girl ('04, '06, '08)
#15 of 22 Old 03-31-2008, 12:00 AM

NPR, and my dh. He reads through the BBC, NYT, and a Peruvian newspaper websites daily.

But, I am a major NPR addict.

Mama to ds#1 (7) and a ds#2 (1 1/2)
Homebirth midwife
#16 of 22 Old 03-31-2008, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reha View Post
But, I am a major NPR addict.

Me too!

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#17 of 22 Old 03-31-2008, 09:28 AM

NPR, NYT.

(It wouldn't let me type just those 2 words in all caps. I guess the intuitive auto-reply engine does not like yelling.)
#18 of 22 Old 03-31-2008, 09:34 AM

Yay. I neber knew this forum was here. I have been TV free for 8 of the last 9 years...... my Dad had to watch football the year we hosted family Thanksgiving.

Anyhow.... I listen to NPR, and get bbc on the web. Thanks for the info on alternatve ME news.

Even though I have some sources- I do not ever feel that I really know what is going on in our country or worldwide. Sometimes, I do not care and am happy to be blissfully unaware. Sometimes I am concerned. But, I know US TV stations are not as free as we wish them to be and that I wouldn't be getting objective news at all- so.........

Nice to know you are all here
#19 of 22 Old 03-31-2008, 01:09 PM

My news sources include the newspaper (which I read at work during my lunch break), National Public Radio (which I listen to in the morning as I prepare breakfast), and the internet (CNN.com and webcasts on PBS.org). I also read magazines that I pick-up at the library (Time, National Geographic).
#20 of 22 Old 03-31-2008, 01:10 PM

We get newspapers, listen to tons of NPR, and do lots of newsreading on the internet. Also we get The Nation.

Even before we had kids and became essentially TV-free ourselves, we didn't watch the TV news. (Wait, I lie: DH did, and still does, tune in for the weather once in a while. )

Decluttering SAHM of three. Going for 2011 items in 2011.
#21 of 22 Old 03-31-2008, 08:23 PM

Keeping up with current events isn't a huge part of my life. I listen to NPR every few days. I read the economist sometimes--it's really dense and hard for me to get through an issue in one week.

I also occasionally check cnn.com, seattle-pi.com, and sfgate.com for day-to-day news. And slashdot.org for tech news.

I also read a couple magazines that have some current events/politics info--Ms. and B*tch.

And my husband, aka the news junkie, keeps me abreast of a lot of issues.

Working mama treehugger.gif to K energy.gif (2/2007) and A diaper.gif (6/2013). Expecting stork-suprise.gif EDD 10/7/2014.
#22 of 22 Old 03-31-2008, 09:10 PM

CBC radio, NYT internet

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page