Need Support - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-27-2008, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have had cable since I was in high school, so 15 + years. My first dc went TV free until she was 2. DC2, not so much. DH just cancelled cable due to money concerns (we have talked about it, and both agreed, but I am by far the biggest addict, so I was hesitant) I am going through withdrawals- BIG TIME. We would love to go TV free, but if going down to just TV with no cable is this hard- how will we do that? How will I take a shower without Curious George or Thomas? (FWIW, my kids are only pbs kids)

How did you all do it?

Julieknit.gif, DP to modifiedartist.gif, mama to DD (7)dust.gif , and DS (5)joy.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2008, 11:05 PM

Shower? What's a shower?

Seriously, though, I really only do take a shower every 3rd day since dd was born. I either wait untl dh is around, or, I load up the bed with toys she hasn't seen in a while (or new library books work great) and make a mad dash for the shower. My daughter has tantrumed a bit over me being in the shower, but I usually prevail. It also helps if I give her the job of handing me my towel and bathrobe, or if she sits in the bathroom and I tell her a story.

In short - it is really hard - not just taking a shower, but making dinner, paying bills, everything! But the way I look at it is that it is just a few years of making sacrifices to develop our kids as being TV-free, and the result is worth it. As they get older, it will get easier, since they can entertain themselves more and make more rational decisions. Not taking a daily shower is not forever! And I think you will all find that in a month you will be over the "shock" of being without TV, and it will just start to feel normal. In our family, having TV was never a question for us, so we simply created systems that worked without having to use the TV for support. We try to involve my daughter with all our daily tasks (making dinner, etc.), which we feel will go a longer way towards her growth and development than relying on the TV as a babysitter. It can be exhausting.

Congratulations on taking the first steps towards reducing your reliance on TV! You can do it! Especially since spring is springing and you will likely be out of the house more. Good luck!
Old 03-28-2008, 03:11 AM

IME, it's just an adjustment that you will make (and your dc will make) with a little time. We went cold turkey and there were fits at first and withdrawl for me (the junkie of the family). After about 2 weeks I caved & bought myself an antenna so I could watch the local network channels. I no longer do that and am happy for it (it's been about 8 months w/o) but I *do* still revert to the feelings of wanting to sit down to eat while I watch something - that's probably the hardest thing for me personally. Anyway, so the kids - yes, in time they learn to entertain themselves in other ways. Now that the weather is warming up, mine are spending more & more time in the backyard (which is fenced) while I get things done in the house, like cooking & cleaning. Showers are honestly pretty darn rare for me since having my twins. I'd say I'm lucky to have one a week. : I try to do it when dh is home but sometimes I've just GOT to get in the shower so then I either just leave them playing, make it a quick one, and hope for the best or I let the younger ones (the twins) in with me. You *can* do it - just give yourself permission to adjust to the change. Believe me, I know how hard it is to be the one who really wants to watch it!

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Showers are honestly pretty darn rare for me since having my twins. I'd say I'm lucky to have one a week.
I'm so glad this isn't just me. My twins are three and I am still only getting about one shower a week!

I know that if I let the kids watch a half hour of TV here or there that my house (and I) would be a LOT cleaner. But, as a previous poster said, these days are not forever. My commitment to TV-freedom is stronger than my desire for a tidy home and a daily shower.

Decluttering SAHM of three. Going for 2011 items in 2011.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2snugbugs View Post
... We would love to go TV free, but if going down to just TV with no cable is this hard- how will we do that? How will I take a shower without Curious George or Thomas?...
We are a no-cable / no-broadcast reception household that made the change when DC1 was 20 months old. The cable guy came to turn the cable off when I had the flu and DC1 proceeded to follow me around as I tried to self-medicate by reading an engaging novel. It got better as time went on and he realized that the screen was off. Today, as an elementary school student, he'll reach for a book to read when he has 'down time'

Flash forward a couple of years and DC1 and DC2 just spent a week of school vacation without cable / broadcast TV. I think they watched about an hour of an educational DVD. They did great ... playing together .. very noisy of course ... but I also kept them busy with park outings and inviting pals over.

BTW, I shower after both are in bed. Good luck !
Old 03-31-2008, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you! I am still in the withdrawal stage (cranky, wanting to surf, but can't with 5 channels, etc.) I am working on it.

Julieknit.gif, DP to modifiedartist.gif, mama to DD (7)dust.gif , and DS (5)joy.gif

User Tag List