Preparing for TV-free week - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 04-01-2008, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I decided I'm going to participate in TV free week this year. We don't allow much TV, but allow our oldest DD to watch TV while I am putting down her younger sister for a nap. This amounts to at least an hour of TV a day, mainly because it often takes a while to put her down, and then I let her finish up watching whatever show she is in the middle of. She's the type of child that needs to be entertained, and doesn't know what to do with herself if she isn't interacting with someone or watching something. We have a room full of toys that she rarely plays with, and only really plays with them when her sister is playing with her. I really want to participate this year, but if she isn't watching TV, she will be coming in to where I am nursing her sister every 2 minutes asking me questions or telling me a secret or something, which will make me crazy as it will prolong nap time and keep my 1-year old from being able to relax enough to fall asleep.

Anyone have any suggestions to help our home become TV-free for a week? Thanks!

Mama to DD (5) DD (3) and DS (2 months)
#2 of 4 Old 04-01-2008, 05:20 PM

I don't have any suggestions (I'm still thinking about going tv free. ) But when is tv free week?

Angela , wife to DH (Oct 1999), mother to DD (Oct 2008)
#3 of 4 Old 04-01-2008, 06:50 PM

Well, I think it depends on how well the older dd takes direction! My dd is only 22 months, so I don't know what it's like to reason with an almost-4-yo. But I would start by sitting down and talking to her about why (in kiddie terms) you think it's important that your family try TV-free for a week--in other words, let her know that this is not a punishment and it's not arbitrary, but something you're doing FOR her.

I would also emphasize that, while you're getting the LO down for a nap, older dd gets to do "special" projects--and that you will come and join her as soon as the LO is asleep. Stress how important it is that you not be interrupted with the baby, b/c if baby doesn't nap then you and older dd don't get time together alone. Then go out of your way to find things she'll really enjoy doing and give her the "instructions" ahead of time, so she has a chance to ask questions BEFORE you're actually putting the baby to sleep. Does she like jigsaw puzzles? Crafts projects might also be nice, as they are quiet but time-consuming. A couple of thoughts:
1) Paper plate masks (cut eye holes in a couple of paper plates ahead of time); set up a table with crayons, feathers, beads, pompoms, pipe cleaners, construction paper, stickers, glue, etc. Dd's "job" is to make the one or two masks--and then when you get back, the two of you can act out stories with them. Sock puppets could work, too.
2) tape a giant piece of paper to the wall, and tell her to make a "mural" about your family; when she's done, she can tell you about it, you can add your own details, and then your dh can add stuff when he gets home.
3) sticker books! When my niece was that age, she could spend AGES peeling and sticking stickers--Barnes and Noble sells a series that allows little ones to put the stickers in different backgrounds, then unstick and move things around (there's a dollhouse one, for instance, where you can dress the dolls, arrange their furniture, set their table, etc.); Alex toys also makes sticker sets--e.g., city backgrounds that you can fill with cars and people, "pizza" backgrounds that you decorate with different toppings, etc.
4) a blank book that she can fill in with her own story (again, markers, stickers, etc.), then you can "read" it together
#4 of 4 Old 04-02-2008, 10:48 AM

Duh--I forgot the easiest thing of all. Set her up with a few stories on CD!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page