How much do they know - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 04-05-2008, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For other screen free families, I wonder how much your kids know about TV and movies.
My daughter is almost 5 and has never shown any interest in knowing about TV or movies and has never seen them except in public places (no sound) and once at a friends place. It's just not a part of her life.

However, she is completely mesmerized when she sees it somewhere. Once it's out of sight, it's out of mind though.

Up until now she's never asked anything about it. She doesn't know the characters, and we have few friends who watch TV so she doesn't hear much about it from other kids.

Anyway yesterday we were out at a restaurant and they have a screen there that plays a 24 news show with the sound off. She started to ask questions about it, she said "Mummy, what's a movie?" "Is this a movie?" while pointing at it. She then started a running and excited commentary on what was happening, sigh

So, what do your kids know about it? Are they interested, do they ask questions? What do you say? Just curious.
#2 of 5 Old 04-06-2008, 12:14 AM

So much of the other kids' play at preschool is movie-based that DD will introduce the idea of "a movie" into her play. "Now this is a movie, and we're going to..." I'm not sure she actually knows what the word means, though! It's just another pretend scenario, basically.

She has NO idea that there are whole channels that play kids' shows all day long. That would probably sort of blow her mind.

She actually is not that interested when she runs across TV, even if it's kid-oriented. She'll watch for maybe 10 minutes.

grateful mother to DD, 1/04, and DS, 2/08

#3 of 5 Old 04-07-2008, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter

Only one response?? Thanks for that one by the way!

Does no one have children who are curious about the TV/movies? No one has a struggle with this? Doesn't anyone has concerns about the media intruding on your media free lifestyle?
#4 of 5 Old 04-07-2008, 05:01 PM

My kids are 3.5. We're not 100% screen-free (they do watch youtube clips now and again, and call them "movies") but they have not ever watched a full-length movie or any sort of full-length program (oh, I lie:they watched a few episodes of the Electric Company when I had the flu and was in my first trimester of pg at the same time and couldn't get off the couch... )

Anyway, they know various characters from books, their friends at preschool ("barbie" just entered my dd's vocabulary... , and the like, but haven't really expressed an interest in television or movies. Once in awhile they will open the TV cabinet, turn on the (no-cable) TV, and say "we want to watch television!" but I am always able to turn it off without incident (frankly, I think they are more interested in getting a reaction out of me by turning it on than they are in watching a program.)

But my kids are younger than your daughter. Who knows how (and if) things will change in the next year and a half.

I am pretty up-front with my kids about things. I tell them "some kids watch TV, but I don't like having you watch TV because you have so much fun when you play, and use your imagination, and read books, and do projects, and run around, and if you're watching TV you're not really doing any of those other things." That works so far, but they are still under 4 and not really influenced by peer pressure and the like.

Decluttering SAHM of three. Going for 2011 items in 2011.
#5 of 5 Old 04-08-2008, 01:29 AM

We aren't 100% screen-free, there is the occasional short DVD so they do understand the "concept" of a movie, but they're clueless when it comes to a TV-show. They really don't get the concept of TV. That there are some places where if you turn on the TV it isn't blank, but there are multitudes of things to watch, all the time.

BUT I have to say that I won't mind when they do. I don't want them exposed to it often, but to understand what it is wouldn't upset me. There are lots of things I don't want them to have as a part of thier daily lives, but knowledge of them isn't necessarily bad. I've used situations like that as a platform for discussion.

Mama to our nose-in-a-book Autumn (6) & our old soul Molly (4)
Imaginative, fun jewelry & photography Shenandoah Sunshine

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page