first shower without the TV babysitter -- not good. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 04-14-2008, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DS (28 mo) managed to get a paper cut on his penis; hit the dog with a book; colored on the sheets with a crayon; colored on the shower door with same crayon (crayon is now in shower on shelf); dumped my contact lenses on the bed; and erased half of DD's dry-marker book work while she was rescuing my contact case...

What is your fail-safe, TV-free way to get a quick shower?!?!?!

I can't lock him in the bathroom with me because there even more dangers lurking in the low drawers and cabinets.

We're new at this... help!
#2 of 27 Old 04-14-2008, 08:38 PM

I'm afraid I dont leave my 3.5 year old - I only shower when DH is home or DS is sleeping. Or I take a bath with him which he finds hilarious because I let him wash my hair.

Sorry - wish I had a tip, but I am in the same boat as you, it seems.
#3 of 27 Old 04-15-2008, 01:26 AM

Bring him into the shower with you? Stop up the drain if it's a combo and let him splash in the water - that usually works here (though I have a 13mo). Mostly I take showers in the evening, though.

How hard would it be to toddler proof the bathroom? Could you place out a messy art project in the bathroom, knowing that you'll have to clean it up later?
#4 of 27 Old 04-15-2008, 05:01 AM

I was going to suggest bringing him in the shower as well.

Do you set up an activity or just leave him to it? I like the idea of setting up something in the bathroom for him to do.
#5 of 27 Old 04-15-2008, 10:57 AM

I wait until DH is home or the kids are asleep or at preschool or something.

I've also changed my whole notion of how often I need to shower.

Decluttering SAHM of three. Going for 2011 items in 2011.
#6 of 27 Old 04-15-2008, 10:58 AM

We always shower together and make a big play date out of it. Either that or I shower at night when DH is home.

Mama to Zach 6-18-04 & Naia 10-13-10 Partner to the sweetest DH. Loving our life afloat. TV Free!
#7 of 27 Old 04-15-2008, 02:39 PM

Sorry I'm no help either.... I bring my 17 month old in the bathroom with me. There's one drawer in there full of stuff he can get out, and it usually amuses him long enough for me to shower.

Or I fill the sink with soapy water, or add some food coloring or some other toys/objects & let him play in the sink while I shower.

Amanda , mama to my two boys: N (10/06) and : A (7/09)
#8 of 27 Old 04-15-2008, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfinch View Post
I've also changed my whole notion of how often I need to shower.
:

But on the more practical level, here are some things that have worked for me....

Bringing dd's in the shower with me with the promise that when I'm done I'll fill up the tub.

Letting them know that if I have a calm shower, then we will be able to do something else desireable after (eat yogurt, go out to play etc.)

Showering when-ever my sister drops by bc/she won't go through a big negotiation session like dh.

Endure the big "shower negotiation session" with dh, just to get a shower.
#9 of 27 Old 04-16-2008, 11:46 AM

I usually shower in the morning when dh is home, but sometimes I just set dd up with her toothbrush and a trickle of water in the sink, and she'll happily "brush" her teeth for 5 minutes while I shower. You can always baby proof your bathroom--just put some locks on the cabinets. Or, as others said, bring ds in with you or shower after he goes to bed.

(A paper cut on his penis?!?)
#10 of 27 Old 04-16-2008, 02:25 PM

My number one rule is to lock the dog in a bedroom so that even if the kids get into something they can't abuse our dog.

We also have childproofed things to the millionth degree, but sometimes I'll gate everyone upstairs with me so they are close enough for me to hear if they are fighting and hop out to flash the neighbors and resolve the issue if needed. They have access to me in the bathroom, the hallway, their room which is mainly just mattresses and books, and whatever cool toys I put out for them.

Another strategy is to leave DS to play downstairs and bring DD upstairs with me. Or let DS shower at the same time in the other bathroom and DD shower with me.

mom to a 7 year old lego fanatic and a 5 year old cross dresser
#11 of 27 Old 04-16-2008, 02:25 PM

I tried bringing DD w/ me, but she HATED it. Now I can only shower when DH is home.
#12 of 27 Old 04-16-2008, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Endure the big "shower negotiation session" with dh, just to get a shower.

Should I even ask? Yikes!

#13 of 27 Old 04-17-2008, 09:55 AM

When my dd was young I would bathe or shower with her. She needed to get clean too so it saved time. Otherwise I would wait until I had someone to supervise dd.

I would not leave the dc with the dog unattended again.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#14 of 27 Old 04-17-2008, 08:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by because View Post
I can't lock him in the bathroom with me because there even more dangers lurking in the low drawers and cabinets.
Don't know if it would be enough to help, but I LOVE tot-loks for this.

My dd will also come in the shower with me if I put the plug in so she can play in the water.

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
#15 of 27 Old 04-17-2008, 08:25 PM

I had a playpen that was used almost exclusively for this. I put her in it during showers till she was pretty old, though I forget the exact age. At a certain point I started bringing her in the bathroom with me and closing the door--she couldn't work our doorknobs for a long time. Around 3, she became responsible enough to just let 'er roam.

I take short showers, just FTR. Shaving is strictly on weekends.

grateful mother to DD, 1/04, and DS, 2/08

#16 of 27 Old 04-18-2008, 02:33 AM

We have pretty seriously babyproofed our house.

Sometimes they are both in with me, sometimes just one or the other.

Sometimes DH is home and will watch them.

I always take a shower when we go to my parents house, hanging out with grandma is fun.

I make sure to bring shampoo when we go swiming at the Y.

Go Green I don't vax either, why mess with perfect?
#17 of 27 Old 04-18-2008, 04:03 PM

Showering & cooking dinner are the hardest things for me to get done. If I'm desperate for a shower when dh isn't home I either wait till ds2 is napping, bring him in the shower with me, or pretty much let him tear apart the bathroom cabinets and be as quick as possible. Ds1 does fine by himself, either just playing or he gets computer time when I'm showering & when putting ds2 down for a nap.

BTW, I'm at the paper cut on his penis - while that specific situation hasn't happened here, we've had similar "you managed to do WHAT?" moments.

Keeping busy with 2 boys & 1 girl ('04, '06, '08)
#18 of 27 Old 04-18-2008, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

Alright, I showered again (HOW long ago was that first post?! )

I put him on a stool at the sink with some plastic eye droppers, a little boat, and a tiny tea cup. I only had to get out three times to pull the plug on the sink drain but there were no major catastrophies or floods. Yay!

FTR, I know the dog/book bit sounded bad but really neither is a threat to the other. DS is actually very good with the dog and the dog is a hearty yet docile 15 year old terrier (he only got docile in his teens for those of you who know terriers and don't believe me). Really, really, really I'm a very careful person when it comes to kids and animals abusing each other and I promise this isn't a bad situation.

Those magnetic Tot-loks are the only locks that would work with our cabinet style but I just can't stomach the start-up price. Aren't the first 4 and key like $30 or something?

Actually, the kids seemed to have calmed down a bit after the initial TV withdrawal symptoms have worn down. I'm going to employ some other ideas from this thread (not the part about negotiation with DH, though ) but I think we're off to a good start.
#19 of 27 Old 04-18-2008, 09:03 PM

Only 4 days ago. You're way ahead of me in the shower department!

#20 of 27 Old 04-22-2008, 11:46 PM

During my last shower during the day (with no DH home to supervise the kids), my 2 y.o. torn about 20 keys off my Mac laptop. I feel your pain, Because.

That was like 2 weeks ago. Sooo...now I shower at night (when DH is home). It's just easier. I suppose I could get up at the crack of dawn before he leaves and goes to work....but at that hour sleep wins everytime. Although, countless times during the day, I tell myself I should have gotten up to shower.
#21 of 27 Old 04-24-2008, 05:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Aren't the first 4 and key like $30 or something?
I aw some in the tp - maybe you can get some cheaper ones second hand?

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
#22 of 27 Old 05-01-2008, 02:48 PM

My dd is 27 months and has always showered and bathed with me; there's no way I could leave her alone to do it- she'd hurt herself in some way for sure and I'd have no idea what happened! :-p But maybe you could shower together? We always have tub toys handy. :^D

"Waking up this morning, I smile. Twenty-four brand new hours are before me. I vow to live fully in each moment and to look at all beings with eyes of compassion."-Thich Nhat Hanh 
#23 of 27 Old 05-01-2008, 07:45 PM

Quote:
DS (28 mo) managed to get a paper cut on his penis; hit the dog with a book; colored on the sheets with a crayon; colored on the shower door with same crayon (crayon is now in shower on shelf); dumped my contact lenses on the bed; and erased half of DD's dry-marker book work while she was rescuing my contact case...

What is your fail-safe, TV-free way to get a quick shower?!?!?!

We're new at this... help!

My son is 28 months too and I have never used TV as a way to keep the kids out of the way while I shower or do anything else. I just close the door so they have to stay upstairs, i.e. within hearing range. If it gets really quiet I jump out immediately!

Toddler-proofing is an ongoing process, there's always something more that we didn't think of. The main thing is that he can't manage to hurt himself or destroy something (or someone) important.

I think some crayon marks here and there every now and again is probably part of life. Apparently paper-cut penises is, too (although we have never had any yet), it sounds hard to avoid, unless you want to classify paper as dangerous and insist that kids are always fully dressed. The dog can probably handle a book or two.

As for contact lenses I haven't really found a good place to hide mine. For some reason the case is extremely interesting! And I'm sorry for my poor laptop that is missing half its keys (and the remaining ones have been painted with red nail varnish), because they don't sell replacement keyboards for that model anymore.
#24 of 27 Old 05-01-2008, 08:33 PM

My kids are 2 and 3. We've had everything you can possibly imagine happen, including a trip to the ER when my daughter (then 2) got into a bottle of medicine. (High locks went on all cabinets after that).

You just kind of learn to put things up high, lock whatever you can and shower REAAALLLY QUICKLY. I have a box of toys in the closet and will pull one or two out for my son (2) if he follows me in.

Welcome to the Real World she said to me, condescendingly, take a seat. Take your life; plot it out in black and white.
#25 of 27 Old 05-04-2008, 01:19 PM

How about taking a bath instead of a shower? My dd is 2.75 and when I need to bathe and dh is not available to watch her, I just take a bath, she normally plays right next to the tub so I can keep an eye on her and get clean at the same time. Only downside is dd will throw all her bath toys in with me, but its all good.

Shay

Mothering since 1992...its one of the many hats I wear.
#26 of 27 Old 05-04-2008, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My kids hate showers so for a long time, I skipped showers and had baths with them whenever I needed one (I bathe every other day and do "spot hygiene" daily ). I figured out that I could wash my hair by holding my baby on my stomach while dunking my head backward underwater for rinsing. Fortunately I can often have showers by myself now, but I think that my showers must be much shorter than yours given what your ds got up to during that time .

disclosure: we are not tv-free, but we don't use tv to deal with personal hygiene issues

sharing life with | 10 yo ds | 8 yo dd | dh (since 2012)
"I am not what happened to me...I am what I choose to become." ~ Carl Jung
#27 of 27 Old 05-13-2008, 04:07 PM

I have the best luck putting a toy like DS's Little People garage and cars or castle/knights in the bathroom. He can easily play w/ a toy like that for 15+ minutes and that way I can put it right in front of the door so I know where he is.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page