How do you get DH on board? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 04-21-2008, 01:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have wanted to get rid of tv for a long time. We have been married for 15 years and I remember being married 3 years and wanted to do this way back then. He loves TV! I do too! But I'm willing to let it go. How do I get him on board!

LDS, natural birthing,, , mom to 6 super fun crazy kids!
#2 of 5 Old 04-21-2008, 02:03 AM

We had the opposite problem over here. My husband was always adamantly against TV, so I gave it up because it made him miserable which made me miserable.

Although we aren't completely TV free. We watch movies and the occasional downloaded show on our laptops. But we have both been contemplating giving those up as well.

Maybe you can try to get him to agree to x number of days/weeks without TV as an experiment to see if he would be into it. I would do this when the weather is warmer and you may be more likely to want to get outside and do things.

Working mama treehugger.gif to K energy.gif (2/2007) and A diaper.gif (6/2013). Expecting stork-suprise.gif EDD 10/7/2014.
#3 of 5 Old 04-22-2008, 02:19 AM

What if it 'breaks'? IDK, I have not really ever had to think about it, sorry.

Go Green I don't vax either, why mess with perfect?
#4 of 5 Old 04-22-2008, 11:29 AM

It took me a while to convince him. He agreed that he didn't want our little one seeing the tv so it was off most of the time anyways. After she went to bed I made a conscious effort to come up with other things to do that would prevent the tv from being on. Eventually he came around!

I don't do nagging or whining. But I do believe in offering incentives
#5 of 5 Old 04-28-2008, 09:20 AM

After DH read Endangered Minds and Einstein Didn't Use Flashcards he got on board right away! Especially Endangered Minds...

And we eased into it by first having the TV and only having it on when DS was asleep so DH could get his CNN fix or what have you. But then when DS was a few months old we realized we liked not having the noise box. So we tossed it altogether about 3.5 years ago.

Now he gets his news fix on the web, NPR, etc. And we watch movies on the computer after DS goes to bed or as a family once in a while.

Good luck!

Mama to Zach 6-18-04 & Naia 10-13-10 Partner to the sweetest DH. Loving our life afloat. TV Free!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page