TV withdrawl in 2 1/2 year old - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-09-2008, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I started letting DD watch a wee bit of TV last fall, when we were on vacation without DH and I needed to pack. Then when we got home I found it a convenient way to shower in the morning, and cook dinner in the evening... and it sort of creeped up, ever more embedded in our lives... I cut the cable and we just had a few DVDs, then DD discovered the library had DVDs, and it kind of went crazy from there. Last week she started getting up in the morning and the first words out of her mouth were "Can I watch a little TV?" and I knew we were in trouble.

So I cut her off, cold turkey, yesterday. That wasn't too bad because it was a weekend, we were running around, DH was there, things were busy. Today, she got up, and faced with the prospect of a morning without TV, it's like she forgot how to function. Oh, the screaming... she just started screaming when the slightest little thing went wrong. She wouldn't get out of her jammies. Then she wouldn't get into her clothes. Didn't want to go to playgroup. Didn't want to go out to a cafe. Didn't want to do ANYTHING. Miraculously, I DID manage to have a shower without fuss, but everything else was a struggle. I haven't had such a hard day with her since she was a newborn.

Anyway - mamas who have BTDT... how long does TV withdrawl last???? It's not like she doesn't have other things to play with - we have music CDs, gazillions of books, lots of toys, crayons, playdough - and a mama who is willing to play with all of them.

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#2 of 5 Old 06-09-2008, 08:06 PM

I have read that it takes five days to break a habit. I'm not sure of the validity of this conclusion or how the research was conducted. We went so far as to unplug the tv (she could turn it on herself) and say that it was "broken" for a couple of weeks. DP and I would only watch it when she was asleep.

Diane, SAHM to DD (June 05) and DS (April 07).
::::
#3 of 5 Old 06-21-2008, 05:29 PM

TV withdrawl is tough!! I can totally relate to how your dd is feeling. I just don't understand people who say TV isn't addictive, when clearly it is. Our youngest kids grew up without a TV but we got rid of it when our oldest was 3. It was very hard for him but he eventually got used to it. I don't remember how long it took, though. Maybe a month??

Blessed mama of four
::
#4 of 5 Old 06-21-2008, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter

Actually, the really intense crankypants phase lasted only a day. She rarely even asks now, and has become much, much better at playing on her own.

Interestingly enough, about 3 days after we switched the TV off, started asking to have her diaper taken off so she could pee in her potty... probably coincidence, but I wonder if maybe being glued to the TV was hampering her wanting to get off the couch to use the potty?

Most of her imaginary play is still based around Wallace and Gromit, but I guess that's ok. I'd rather have a wererabbit jumping on the bed than glued to the couch.

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#5 of 5 Old 06-21-2008, 07:25 PM

That's great! I remember when ds used to watch TV, he would go and get his potty and bring it out to the living room so he could sit on it in front of the TV.

Blessed mama of four
::

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page