What do you do when you are sick? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 06-10-2008, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For those of you that can make through your whole house being sick and sticking with no tv, how do you do it? We all got the stomach flu (me, 5 yo, twin almost 3 yo's) and I was feeling so incredibly bad I let the kids watch 2 movies and I am so paying for it now! What can I do to make it through it next time without a movie while?
#2 of 4 Old 06-12-2008, 10:47 PM

if we're so sick that we're pretty much immobile, we do a lot of books, tell stories, sing, draw, sleep etc. i rotate their toys so i'll take out some that they haven't played with in awhile too.
#3 of 4 Old 06-12-2008, 11:22 PM

We play in bed. DS is 4 so I can trust he won't get himself into trouble if I doze off. But we bring toys, books, snacks into bed and play "lazy bears" for the day.
We nurse a lot. Make forts on the bed, play with flashlights. Play board games. Listen to books on CD.

Now that he is older, I would put in a DVD if I felt desperate because I was ill. But I never did for the first 3.5 years and I truly try NOT to default to that.
In fact, the one time this winter I decided to do a movie when DS was sick (the rule normally is we never do movies during the daylight hours. It's only a night time treat once or twice a month for family movie night) Well after I made the mistake of saying "well you're really sick so we will watch a movie together this afternoon." Once he was healthy, he would come up to me and (in his best bad acting) say "Mom I think I am sick so can we watch a movie during the day?" HA! I don't think so buddy!

Also DH is very supportive and if I am sick as a dog he will take the time off work so I can rest and that way DS is not cooped up with me going stir crazy.

We were all 3 sick a few times this winter... and we just basically did our normally rainy day inside activities, but did most of them in bed as mentioned above. We all mope around and feel sorry for ourselves and try to get the dog to cook dinner and know that even though the situation sucks, this too shall pass.

As I have said before here on this forum, while I don't think it's a crime for kids who are older (3.5-4+) to watch a carefully selected DVD either for fun with the family or in odd situations like long plane trips or sickness... I think the MISTAKE is creating an atmosphere where the media distraction is EXPECTED and relied upon. They need to know how to get through things like plane trips of sick days without plugging in. It should be a treat, not a necessity.

Mama to Zach 6-18-04 & Naia 10-13-10 Partner to the sweetest DH. Loving our life afloat. TV Free!
#4 of 4 Old 06-14-2008, 08:36 PM

Here is a related thread:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=890279

At 3, audio recordings of winnie the pooh, raggedy ann, jim weiss gentler stuff might work depending on the personality of your children.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page