Talk to me about... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 06-25-2008, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Going TV free. Over the past few months and esp the past two days, I've decided that I want to toss the TV. DS has SID and while he does not watch TV that is violent etc, his affect is still changed by viewing. How did you explain it to the kids, how did you cope the first few days? House guests?
Thanks,
Michele

Oh, and I'd lvoe to know about any resources you think are worth reading.
#2 of 4 Old 06-25-2008, 07:54 PM

Well- this is kinda a big question .

In a quick summary, I would say:

1.) Go cold turkey. I know it might be painful at first, but there are actually fewer arguments (as there are fewer times you turn the TV off), and you get into another habit, another way of living. Really. Cold Turkey. Move the TV out. Closet, garage, whatever. If it is sitting there, it is easy to turn it on.

2.) There is a "withdrawl period". For this, it helps to have a "schedule"- lots of things going on, less time going "I could just turn it on for a minute...". It takes about 2 weeks to really have a fundamental change, so I wouldn't go out and buy out the toy store, but I would write out a plan- a walk after dinner, events at the library, etc.

3.) Don't worry about guests. The kids will play, the grown-ups will talk. Overnight/visiting family- just warn them first. They will grumble and probably tease a bit, then they will get over it.

Good luck! Going tv-free was probably one of the most meaningful and important decisions we made as a family. And as the word of a former tv addict, I would NEVER go back!
#3 of 4 Old 06-25-2008, 10:00 PM

Although it's unorganized (sorry! my to do list never seems to get very done anymore ), there's a research and resources sticky at the top of this forum.

I totally second going cold turkey (move the TV! throw it out, or at least unplug it and place it somewhere really out of the way), and plan for the withdrawal period. Two weeks seems to be pretty typical, although it can be anywhere from a few days to a couple months to really adjust. After a few months, you'll wonder when you ever had time for TV. (Really!)
#4 of 4 Old 06-28-2008, 12:08 PM

We were TV-free from the beginning, so I don't know much about the weaning process, but I think during those first weeks, especially the VERY first week, it is probably key to have a few novel things going on, whether it's getting out to a free museum afternoon (or a park, playground, or beach) one day, breaking out a new (or not-much-played) game another day, or going to the library and loading up on books another day... maybe some new craft projects or science experiments... maybe getting out of the house as much as possible during those once high-frequency tv-watching times so it's just not as much of an issue. If, dinner-prep-time is a problem, see if you/DP can involve DS in the process... go through cookbooks together ahead of time. Pick out what you're going to make together. During prep, find things that he can do to help. Etc.

Once the TV's been out for a few weeks, things should get easier. Other things will start filling in the time, and you probably won't have to actively be setting up projects and things for him to do all the time because he will be finding things to do on his own.

:Good luck! :

Decluttering SAHM of three. Going for 2011 items in 2011.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page