Talk to me about going TV-free w/an older child - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 06-27-2008, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD is 8 1/2. We don't have cable and have been thinking about getting rid of the TV altogether. The only channel ANY of us watch is PBS. DD probably watches around 30 minutes a day of TV on average.

Recently DD has started to campaign for cable. We are NOT getting cable and DP and I are seriously discussing being TV-free (both of us have, at various points been TV-free and enjoyed it).

The thing that I worry about is that dd gets really excited about visiting friends or cousins that have cable (and video game systems which we also don't have). I worry that as she gets older, she'll really prefer being at friends houses who have these things and will always be clamoring to be away from home. As she becomes a teenager, I'd like to be the home where her friends like to come and hang out, but I'm worried friends won't want to have sleep overs and such at a TV-free home.

So, talk to me about being TV-free with older children, tweens and teens.
#2 of 4 Old 06-28-2008, 11:53 PM

Great question. We don't have video or computer games either, and my boys love what little they have seen of them. We want our home to be the one in the neighborhood the kids chose to hang out in, especially as they get older. We have a great work out space, so my Dh thinks that will attract other kids here when our oldest are teenagers. But I'm not so optimistic. I'm curious to learn how this hass played out with older kids too.

Anyone?

Happy mom to DS2000, DS2002, DD2004, DS2006 and DS 10/2009:
#3 of 4 Old 07-29-2008, 06:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What I know is from my own experience. We never had cable & as a teenager one of the main reasons I liked to babysit is that after the children I was watching went to sleep I could watch cable tv. It was a MUCH bigger deal for my brother.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#4 of 4 Old 07-29-2008, 01:26 PM

I never had cable or video games either as a jr.high/early highschool kid and I always opted to go to someone else house. They had cable and video games :-) My parents let up on the restrictions in about 11th grade, and the habit of going elseware still stuck. We had lots of "fun stuff" at my house, work out equiptment, a huge backyard to pay sports/games in, etc. Of course every kid is diffrent, but I can't imagine most teens wanting to hang out regularly where there was no access to video games or movies.

ETA: I should add that a lot of the time spent at my friends house was doing something not at all related to TV or video games. We used to listen to music and draw for hours. Just having the option of being able to have some tv or video games *incase* we wanted to use them was good enough for me.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page