4 year olds and The Dark Knight? Eeeek. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 07-31-2008, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We took our kids to get pics taken this past weekend. The photographer kept asking our TV-free DS (almost 4.5) if he liked Spiderman, Batman, etc. and DS kept giving her funny looks It was kind of amusing LOL. Then she asked him if he'd "seen the new Batman movie". Umm...I assume she's talking about The Dark Knight? Yeah, not really on our radar with a TV-free 4.5 year old.

People often can't figure out why talkative DS doesn't answer them when they ask him about his favorite TV character, etc. Everywhere we go...the dentist, the post office, etc. it seems like the only way people can relate to kids sometimes is to ask them who their favorite character is, or what their favorite TV show is. Sigh.
#2 of 20 Old 08-01-2008, 09:43 PM

That's really weird to ask because the movie is rated PG 13. I imagine a lot of die-hard TV watching families are not taking their 4 or 5 year old to see it.

When kids get older they also ask about school obsessively. I think people just have trouble talking to kids and it is a form of awkward small talk.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#3 of 20 Old 08-01-2008, 09:48 PM

We aren't TV-free but I saw the title of your thread and stopped and thought, "Whhaaaa?"

We have two five year old boys and an almost four year old girl. I saw the movie (The Dark Knight) and no way would I take my kids to see it. In fact, they'd have to be a mature 10-11+ years in age for me to take them to see that!

I'm surprised someone asked that.
#4 of 20 Old 08-02-2008, 11:30 AM

We aren't TV free either, but we would never let our kids see it. When DH and I saw it we couldn't believe that there were some little kids there (like 3 - 6 range). (Plus it was a 10pm show!!) We thought that was really sad.
I'll bet the photographer was just trying to make them smile; they've probably never seen the movie. (I didn't know it wasn't for kids either until I saw the commercial. I hadn't seen the other Batman movie to know.)
#5 of 20 Old 08-04-2008, 03:03 AM

I'm surprised its only PG-13. It is waay dark and disturbingly brutal. I would have gone "R" myself. I guess it didn't have enough sex in it.
#6 of 20 Old 08-05-2008, 12:38 AM

We're semi-TV free (we don't have any line in hooked up, but we have DVDs including ones of TV shows). There is NO WAY our 4-year-old would be seeing TDK anytime soon. DH wouldn't even entertain the thought, and he bought the kid the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie!

So I hope she just knows nothing about the movie. ;-)
#7 of 20 Old 08-06-2008, 03:49 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
People do that all the time with Disney movies. Like they will say, "look, that fish looks just like Nemo!" And ds just stares blankly at them.

He does know who spiderman, batman and superman are because of preschool, but he has never seen any shows/movies. Last Halloween I swear half the boys were spiderman. They were ages 3 and 4. (shrugs).

There is no way in the world I would let ds watch the newest batman until he is a teenager or something.
#8 of 20 Old 09-09-2008, 05:27 PM

We saw Dark Knight and there were MANY small kids there. One looked like 3 and had pj's on :
I'd say there were 10 kids from 3 to 10 and I was just livid

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth
Raising 2 peanuts. #3 due in June bellyhair.gif

#9 of 20 Old 09-09-2008, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawncayden View Post
We saw Dark Knight and there were MANY small kids there. One looked like 3 and had pj's on :
Hubby and I went to a 10pm IMAX showing of Dark Knight and when we were leaving (at almost 1 in the morning), I noticed the person ahead of us carrying a 3 or 4 year old...what on earth?!?
#10 of 20 Old 09-09-2008, 06:31 PM

: To, like, all of the above! We went to see TDK for our anniversary in August, and someone had their ~3 yo daughter there. I thought that movie should've been rated at least 14A (don't know if that is a Canadian thing to rate movies that way). TDK was quite violent and had some very disturbing images...just because all the 18A (R) movies these days are so sick many adults can't even bear to watch them, doesn't mean something like TDK should only get a PG rating. I don't think it was even rated PG13 here, just 'PG', as if "some scenes might frighten small children" kind of thing.

Anyways, that's my little rant because I totally thought of posting about this after we saw the movie, but never got around to it. Glad that everyone else seems just as shocked as we were that a little kid would be watching such a movie. I hope those kids "won't remember it anyway."

Wife to geek.gif (08/03), Mom to energy.gif (10/05) and babyboy.gif (11/09).

#11 of 20 Old 09-09-2008, 11:56 PM

My mom showed my 2 and 3-year olds THE MUMMY. And then she didn't seem to understand WHY I WAS MAD AT HER.

I swear, that night, when they had nightmares and ended up in my bed, I should have driven to her house and placed them next to her.

Heck, my kids got scared in half of the Disney movies!!!

Welcome to the Real World she said to me, condescendingly, take a seat. Take your life; plot it out in black and white.
#12 of 20 Old 09-10-2008, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawncayden View Post
Same here. During a key scene at the end of the movie I heard a little voice call out "Is he dead Mommy?" The kid couldn't have been in school yet... I was sad for him. (I spent a lot of the movie with my head buried in DH's arm.)

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#13 of 20 Old 09-21-2008, 11:56 PM

What the heck is the dark night? I thought you were refering to something that was said in the bridge to terabithia!! Boy am I out of the loop!!
#14 of 20 Old 09-22-2008, 02:48 PM

Oh my gosh, I am shocked that people take such young children to shows like this.
#15 of 20 Old 11-28-2008, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kananaskismama View Post
Oh my gosh, I am shocked that people take such young children to shows like this.
What frustrates me is that the theaters support it. The Grand Theatre actually has a BYOB (Bring Your Own Baby) showing for different movies...including the R rated ones. It's supposed to be a time for families with children to be able to watch movies without worrying about "disturbing" others...My question: If you have to be of a certain age to BUY the tickets why are you allowed to bring children in?

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#16 of 20 Old 02-26-2009, 01:47 AM

I saw that movie with DH and a 16 yr old daughter of good friends. All three of us decided it was way too dark for her 13 yr old sister (the sister did not appreciate this much, but she got over it). I hate it when I see parents subjecting their kids to that kind of stuff. I don't even want to buy that one. It wasn't a "walk out" movie for me, but once was enough I think. Kids are so much more sensitive than people realize.
#17 of 20 Old 03-01-2009, 03:49 PM

DH and I watched it recently and we were both shocked at how violent it was. We both had the reaction that no kids should watch it, even if they are 13. It was just way too disturbing. And really loud. Even in our living room we had to keep turning the volume up to hear dialogue and down during the chase scenes. I can't imagine how many young ears were damaged in the theater.

We're about to watch a movie called "This Film is Not Yet Rated" which is a documentary about how movies are rated. I'm really curious now after watching TDK.

I should probably be doing something else right now.
#18 of 20 Old 03-01-2009, 05:43 PM

I just watched this. Can you say "violent?" Halfway through I wondered if I should be watching it!

B.
Mama to : July '06
#19 of 20 Old 03-01-2009, 05:47 PM

Ugh, we are not tv free and we own the movie, but 4 y.o. and Dark Knight?

I don't get it.

New endeavor coming soon...
Raising Alice in Wonderland (DSD, 17), and in love with a Superman
#20 of 20 Old 03-01-2009, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFWife View Post
What frustrates me is that the theaters support it. The Grand Theatre actually has a BYOB (Bring Your Own Baby) showing for different movies...including the R rated ones. It's supposed to be a time for families with children to be able to watch movies without worrying about "disturbing" others...My question: If you have to be of a certain age to BUY the tickets why are you allowed to bring children in?
Now, I've done the BYOBaby type thing, but that was intended for moms with babies too little to see/understand/be awake during the movie IMO. I used to go with DD when she was well under a year. They kept the lights on a bit and the volume down. She was NOT watching the movie, ever. Once in a while I would see a 2 or 3 year old, at Shrek or The Incredibles, but mostly it was moms with really little babies like mine who slept in the sling. Once she was old enough to look at the screen, I stopped going.

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page