Anyone do Cable-Free but still allow selective videos? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 08-03-2008, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DS and I are still living with ex but I am crossing my fingers that by next month financially we will be able to move into our own apartment. I think that there is a huge different between mindless crappy television shows and well done artistic movies so I have no intention of going completely video free for myself but to save money we are not going to pay for cable of any sort but we have a DVD player. I don't own but maybe five DVDs but I hope that once we are on our own and money is more secure maybe I rent movies from time to time (something I've not done in years). Anyway I feel that I would be being unfair if I watch videos but DS wasn't allowed to watch any TV at all.

I really don't mind if he watches Sesame Street once in a while or maybe Blue's Clues. My question is, does anyone still allow selective videos and if so what videos are these. I am thinking that maybe DS could watch a short (15-30 minutes) video everyday and slowly I'll get it to where he is doing it once a week or something. Does this work, would it be better to just discretely watch my stuff and just keep DS completely free of the TV? All feedback is welcome I really, really admire a TV free lifestyle.
#2 of 10 Old 08-03-2008, 05:19 PM

I'm in the cold turkey camp. Especially if you move you'll have a natural "fresh start" to your tv-free life. Our DS is about the same age as yours and he's never watched tv , but DH and I occasionally watch in the evenings (netflix) after he's in bed. Part of our reasoning for this is that his brain is still developing and he can't make distinctions between reality and fantasy yet. On the other hand DH and I have already been brain-fried so it's okay . Good luck and HTH!

B.
Mama to : July '06
#3 of 10 Old 08-03-2008, 05:22 PM

We just limit our TV/DVD's to after DS goes to bed. It's actually a lot easier "cold turkey" for the kids .

There are lots of things in this world that are "OK" for adults in moderation that are really much more destructive and/or harder on children (their bodies and also for them to understand and control)- alcohol, junk food, staying up late, etc. We consider TV to be in that camp. OK for grown-ups in small amounts that doesn't interfere with your life, but is an occasional treat. Kids, with different physical and emotional needs and the inability to really understand when to give up or stop doing something even when it feels good because you know it ultimately is not good for you, they can't make the same decisions and TV is different for them in part because of that.

A few nature/educational programs occasionally, a special DVD for a kid that is sick, an occasional "family movie night", all that I think is a bit different and I can see... But regular TV has no real benefit, as far as I can see.
#4 of 10 Old 08-03-2008, 05:27 PM

This is basically what we do. our TV is locked behind closed doors all day other than when DS1 watches a 30 minute video after nap. if DS2 is awake, the TV is off, so some days, DS1 doesn't watch any. i like the video after nap thing, only b/c ds1 takes a little while to wake up. he knows the rule though about leaving it off if brother is awake, and honestly, i think it makes him happy to see his brother after his nap...so he doesn't care to watch anything. he likes (and i like) the wiggles and any kind of music videos. i personally like the wiggles, b/c it gets him up and moving and dancing and singing. (and puts him in a good mood) we have some other music videos that basically just show random clips and pictures while playing songs (like baby einstein in a way, but not.) other than that, i too, like sesame street for him. i agree with homefront girl about going cold turkey, and when we were in the process of becoming TV free, this is what we did. i realized, though, that i was okay with the after nap video and he was totally fine with the limits, so....maybe do the cold turkey thing when you move and see how it goes. you can always add a little 30 minute video before/after nap. i know plenty of families who do the morning video thing, too (also for the kids who need time to wake up.) ds1 comes in bed with me in the AM, so that's his waking up slowly time.

SAHM to DS1 (8/5/05), DS2 (3/20/07), DS3 (11/26/08), D?4 (Aug 2010) and (4/06) We CD, get adjusted , don't vax, and don't circ (post DS1.)
#5 of 10 Old 08-17-2008, 03:31 AM

We do pretty much what you describe...no cable but we have a some movies and TV shows on dvd. We like Backyardigans, we have a few Dora/Diego and some movies. Sometimes we borrow from the library and we limit it the time (usually for 30 mins or so while I'm making dinner) and they don't watch every day--maybe once or twice a week? some weeks it might be three and other weeks none at all.
#6 of 10 Old 08-19-2008, 10:11 AM

We do no cable but videos. I'd like to go no videos but, honestly, I'm just not there yet. Baby steps, man.

My kids typically like the following:

Max and Ruby, The Backyardigans and Charlie & Lola. We pick up other ones from the library (Jakers or Madeline come to mind) as we see fit.

My kids start preschool in two weeks and I really hope to cut back again...

Welcome to the Real World she said to me, condescendingly, take a seat. Take your life; plot it out in black and white.
#7 of 10 Old 08-19-2008, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homefrontgirl View Post
I'm in the cold turkey camp. Especially if you move you'll have a natural "fresh start" to your tv-free life. Our DS is about the same age as yours and he's never watched tv , but DH and I occasionally watch in the evenings (netflix) after he's in bed. Part of our reasoning for this is that his brain is still developing and he can't make distinctions between reality and fantasy yet. On the other hand DH and I have already been brain-fried so it's okay . Good luck and HTH!
:

ITA. Don't underestimate the power of the fresh start for your DS. He really won't miss it - but you might! I know people talk about how it's hard to get a moment to themselves/shower/etc without having their DC watch TV. We've never done it, so I don't know what I'm missing, personally, and I don't want to start that habit - it's too seductive for me to be able to limit well! When I need to shower, DS just plays in the bathroom with toys and I'm quick about it. I think when your DC is old enough to make a well-reasoned argument for why he should be allowed to watch TV, then it's something to have a discussion together about it, maybe head to the library for an educational video and limit it to 1-2 a week. That's my plan, anyway. DS is only 2, so I'm not really anticipating any well-reasoned anything for at least a few years.

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
#8 of 10 Old 08-19-2008, 05:02 PM

We had absolutely no screen time for 8 years. Just recently we have instituted "movie night" on Sundays for my 5 and 8yo boys.

It's working out very well. They love the movies but understand that they only get them once a week.

Before that, dh and I watched DVDs after the kids went to sleep. We didn't consider that to be unfair.
#9 of 10 Old 08-22-2008, 08:13 AM

My two older kids (4 and 7) pick out one DVD from the library each week and are allowed to watch after the 2 yo is in bed (she goes to sleep around 6:30, so it's easy). It usually amounts to about 2 hours of screen time per week total. DH and I rarely watch movies, but we have been enjoying the Olympics recently.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#10 of 10 Old 08-23-2008, 12:27 PM

In my opinion tv and videos are something to be given very selectively. It's not "unfair" to the kid if you watch after bedtime and they don't watch at all. No more "unfair" then say you eating some chocolate without your kid.

Adults' have the necessary tolerance to deal with screen time, kids aren't really yet equipped.

Having said that my DS has been 100% TV-Free since he was 3 yrs old (before that he watched PBS). He watches about 1 video a month as a special treat, but he doesn't ask for them so sometimes he'll go 3 months without watching anything at all. He just doesn't have time for it, what with all the comic books he's being writing and coloring himself, featuring his own superheroes.

Taking away screen time, gave my child more time for art, imagining, books and playing. I think it's more unfair to waste a childhood infront of a screen, but that's just me! (Of course I weaned my kid off at first, this is just my view on it. Whatever works for you and your kiddo)

Breeder Mama: = wife to an amazing man + mama to J-Bear (07/02) and E-Train (06/08), nanny to Little Bird (07/10).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page