When you can't see it anywhere else... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 08-03-2008, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We signed my son up for tap dance lessons in the fall (he'll be 4 in 3 weeks). We picked up a pair of shoes last week, and he's VERY excited about it all. But he's never really seen any tap dancing (we've explained it and talked about it, but he's never seen tap dance). There is nothing in our area any time soon in terms of live tap dance productions.

I reserved a DVD from the library for Riverdance. DH showed him about 1 minute and a half of this on youtube and he was smitten. I won't let him watch all 2 hours of the DVD, but I was thinking I'd let him watch some...

There are no live tap shows here for him to see. The DVD is of a live performance. It certainly isn't the same, but its the best I can do to allow my son to have a glimpse of this type of dance. We've already discussed that we can watch parts of the DVD a few times, then it gets returned to the library.

We are TV-free and only have the computer for occasional DVD's for Mommy and Daddy for a "date night" after DS is asleep.

I've decided I'm OK with this use of screen media. I feel it is exposure to something that I cannot provide live at the moment that he is very interested in. Additionally, there are no ads, cartoons, etc. and it is a limited time period that he will watch and also it will be returned, so there is a definate "end".

I was wondering what (if any!) situations you might choose to use screen media...?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 08-03-2008, 04:56 PM

We're not TV-free yet but I wanted to say that I think that a DVD like Riverdance for a child wanting to learn about tap-dancing is exactly why you can't throw the baby out with the bath water (write off all videos).

I think when it comes to educational DVD's it is perfectly fine (unless all the child was doing was watching TV all day long or something).

I have to add though that I truly admire TV-free households.
#3 of 3 Old 08-03-2008, 09:26 PM

I don't think you doing anything wrong but on the other hand- letting him experience the tap classes without any preconceived notions could be really cool too. I am a professional theatre person/dancer and I plan on letting ds watch some old movie musicals when he is about 7. Nothing compares to Gene Kelly or Cyd Charisse!! Of course he sees live theater often as well

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page