Considering getting rid of our TV, Help Please! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 08-08-2008, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are going to be moving across the country into our first home in a few weeks. I am very excited about the idea of a "fresh start" and think this might be the time to get rid of our television altogether. Dh is not quite sure he is on board but could be talked into it. One of his issues is not watching movies or shows we get from Netflix. I am embarrassed to admit this but dh and I watch TV almost every night together after our toddler goes to sleep. We sit together on the couch and chit-chat during commercials or comment throughout shows. I know it's not real quality time spent together but we aren't really sure what kind of relaxing activity to replace it with that is something we can do together. During the week, it's the only time we spend together. Sometimes we read instead but it feels like we are then in our own separate worlds. Any ideas or suggestions on how we can make this work? How do you interact with your partner in the evening? Thanks!

Enjoying the journey into natural family living with my two sons and husband.
#2 of 7 Old 08-08-2008, 08:07 PM

Our total all time #1 favorite is doing a crossword puzzle together! Also, playing cards, preparing food for the next day, taking the dog for a walk or playing fetch with him, and in the summer, garden time. We have a TV and in the winter we will settle in to some junk program thru the bunny ears a few times a week, but tv time is kind of checkout time for me -- sometimes thats just what I need, but usually I love the tv free time waaay more.

Me + DP + 2 rescue lap dogs = True Love Always
#3 of 7 Old 08-11-2008, 01:46 PM

You can always watch a movie now and then on your computer. I am sure once you get used to it you will figure out ways to interact at night and it will probably be much better interaction than watching movies! We watch tv at night too after the kids are in bed and I would like to give it up but it is hard!
#4 of 7 Old 08-11-2008, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone! Our TV is officially going on Craig's List!

#5 of 7 Old 08-12-2008, 03:37 PM

Good luck!
#6 of 7 Old 08-14-2008, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniet View Post
Thanks everyone! Our TV is officially going on Craig's List!
Awesome! Good luck! Also, I really enjoy reading to my husband. We can stop and talk about what's happening in the story, etc. Right now we are reading 3 cups of tea, of course it takes waaaay longer than reading solo, but it's so fun and feels really special. Other times, I'll pick out a Mothering article to share, it's great because I feel like we really grow together this way.

Christina, mama to 2 sweet girls

10.26.12 (HBAC!)
namaste.gif   neg.gif  sewmachine.gif   homebirth.jpg homeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpg

#7 of 7 Old 08-14-2008, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cece View Post
Awesome! Good luck! Also, I really enjoy reading to my husband. We can stop and talk about what's happening in the story, etc. Right now we are reading 3 cups of tea, of course it takes waaaay longer than reading solo, but it's so fun and feels really special. Other times, I'll pick out a Mothering article to share, it's great because I feel like we really grow together this way.
Good idea! I just finished reading 3 Cups of Tea and LOVED it. Very inspiring book...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page