Disneyland? Need advice - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 08-10-2008, 01:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are completely TV-free and DS doesn't have any screen time and we are also licensed character free. Lol that sounds funny. Anyway, DS is almost 3 and I was thinking that he might enjoy Disneyland (i did as a kid), but I know it's much different now than when I was a kid and wondering if it would end up being worse than TV in terms of branding/marketing exposure. Anyone have any thoughts? particularly someone who has gone to D-land with a child?
#2 of 8 Old 08-17-2008, 05:20 PM

I dunno, my 3 year old knows a lot of characters that he's never seen on tv. For example, he's fascinated by Batman, Spiderman, and any superhero looking character he sees in a store, a book, poster, toy, clothing, whatever, but of course I would never let him watch those movies! He asks who they are and I explain. So I wouldn't stress if he asks and then knows who Mickey is or whatever. If he wants mouse ears, so what? You can buy them or not, y/k? Maybe I"m not understanding,but I don't see the harm.

We haven't been to Disney yet but we went to Six Flags, and DS was full of questions and stories about Scary Bunny (Bugs Bunny) and That Loud Man (Yosemite Sam) but he didn't ask us to buy any of the junk. Other than park food, lol.
#3 of 8 Old 08-17-2008, 05:43 PM

My tv-free kids know about a lot of those characters, too. But I loathe Disney and would never support The Mouse in any way, so it will never be an issue. (However, Legoland will definitely be getting our business at some point).

However, if you like Disney, if your kid knows better than to demand all the stuff for sale at the end of each and every ride (so parents have told me), if your kid likes rides, and most of all, if YOU would have fun going there, I'm sure it would be fine in the long term.
#4 of 8 Old 08-17-2008, 06:25 PM

There's definitely a lot of stuff to be bought (though not every ride has merchandise at the end, a few of the bigger rides do), but I think that alot of the appeal of a lot of the stuff has to do with the characters. So if your DS isn't really into any of the characters, it's probably not going to have as much appeal to him. At his age, I really wouldn't worry about it, though admittedly, I am really lax about characters and marketing.

We go to Disneyland a lot, and have been since DD was about a year old. At age 2-3, she liked going on the rides, and playing in the play areas. There is so much stuff to explore and touch and play with there.
#5 of 8 Old 08-23-2008, 02:03 PM

We took our DS to Disneyworld when he was four (I went several times as a kid and loved it). He had NO IDEA who any of the characters were (except Peter Pan as we had read the book -not a Disney Book but the real novel) and he still had a ton of fun. He didn't beg for tons of souvenirs because we steered clear of the gift shops (I did get him mouse ears but that was really for me, he didn't give a flip about them) the only things we bought was food (super expensive for what you get but that's a theme park for you.)

It was great and we plan to take him and his brother again when the little turns four.

I don't really like Disney but I adore the theme park - probably because I have so many great childhood memories of my family there. Have a great time!

Breeder Mama: = wife to an amazing man + mama to J-Bear (07/02) and E-Train (06/08), nanny to Little Bird (07/10).

#6 of 8 Old 08-29-2008, 05:50 PM

Man that's tough. I was going to suggest if you read the books to your son he might be familiar with the characters and find more fun in the parks, but since you're also licensed character free it might be tough.

That being said, just being around the excitement and rides might be fun! You can just say, "Look at that giant mouse!" and not worry about who he actually is. Interesting...

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#7 of 8 Old 10-20-2008, 12:36 PM

We're TV-free, but watch DVDs (probably a bit too much, especially now that I'm pg!). We have season passes and enjoy them about once a month.

While my son is familiar with some of the pixar characters seen at California Adventure, they're still "oooh bug" or "oooh potato head". As for merchandise, we're really good about not buying anything. Or son occassionally picks something up to look at and when he's done he'll put it down. If he's having a tougher time we just explain to him that that's not for us and we won't be buying anything so we can save money for season passes next year.

I think the only thing we've really purchased for him are mouse ears- they're just too darn cute! He also sees Mickey as a mouse, not necessarily as "Mickey".

I agree with PP about them just loving the rides and play areas. My son isn't really into the "storybook" rides, nor am I. Those tend to be really visually stiumlating.

He's only 2.5 so maybe it'll be harder next year. I just love Disneyland and I know it's *so* not AP but I know tons of AP families that go anyways!

Grace
#8 of 8 Old 10-20-2008, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

Grace- That's funny, since I posted the question I ended up getting the season pass for myself and have taken my 2.5 year old son 3 times. He doesn't like the storybook rides either and says "i don't want to go on the cars that go inside and have bad paintings". He likes the bands, the jungle cruise, the tree house, etc. and he loves the horse drawn street cars and the fire engine on main street. He also had a good time at the bug's land over at California Adventure. I pack our own food although we always share an ice cream in the afternoon (he loves that!), and he never asks to buy any merchandise. So, phew!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page