Step one - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 09-03-2008, 01:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hy.

I am Angil, and I am addict, a computer addict. :

Please, help me learn ways to help myself get myself under control, and spending time loving my family and my life again!!!!!!!

P.S.~ I know it is not the TV, but I though I might get some help here.
#2 of 6 Old 09-03-2008, 11:03 AM

The only thing that ever works for me is to.just.quit. Cold turkey. I have done this with tv, and after 2 years I can say I am pretty much cured. : There was a time, early on, where I would fall back into the obsessive tv watching when I travelled for business (hotel tvs are my downfall - channel surfing from bed! with room service! JOY!). But the last time I travelled I didn't even WANT to turn it on. So I consider myself cured from tv (although I will occassionally watch a football game at a friend's house )

Internet is another story. I have gone for (at most) a few days without getting online, even when I really resolve to take a break. It's so much harder to stick with it. So often I have a "legitimate" reason to get on ("I'll just check the weather, then get off"), but 6 hours later I'll find myself on some obscure blog, reading about knitting! : I don't even knit!

I think it's probably the same thing as the tv. You just have to take a long enough break from it, and develop habits and hobbies that have nothing to do with a screen. Once you restructure your day-to-day, then you aren't so vulnerable to the lure of the easy passive entertainment. But it takes time, and you have to be willing (and able) to deny yourself the tv/internet for as long as it takes to build a new life. In my experience with tv, that took about 8 months. The thought of going 8 months without internet makes me want to hurl.

Sorry - this is clearly becoming a post that is more about my issues than yours!

But I do think that if you can cut out all the racket and distraction of the tv/internet, you'll figure out why you let it take you over in the first place...
#3 of 6 Old 09-03-2008, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by obiandelismom View Post

Internet is another story. I have gone for (at most) a few days without getting online, even when I really resolve to take a break. It's so much harder to stick with it. So often I have a "legitimate" reason to get on ("I'll just check the weather, then get off"), but 6 hours later I'll find myself on some obscure blog, reading about knitting! : I don't even knit!

Sorry - this is clearly becoming a post that is more about my issues than yours!

But I do think that if you can cut out all the racket and distraction of the tv/internet, you'll figure out why you let it take you over in the first place...
THAT IS ME!!!
#4 of 6 Old 09-12-2008, 08:07 AM

I agree, cold turkey is the way to go.

I used to be addicted to the internet. Then my computer broke and we couldn't afford a new one for over a year. I was forced to go without and I actually got a life and honestly it wasn't so bad. Now that we have a new computer, I'm able to enjoy it while keeping my priorities straight.

Pack your computer up or something where it's not easy to get to, and leave it there for a while. You'll be surprised at how quickly you adjust and you'll have so much more time!! I guarantee you'll see positive changes in just about every aspect of your life. After seeing how good it can be, when you get your computer back, you won't even be so tempted by it anymore.

It's kind of harsh, but it works! Good luck!
#5 of 6 Old 09-12-2008, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazajo View Post
I agree, cold turkey is the way to go.

I used to be addicted to the internet. Then my computer broke and we couldn't afford a new one for over a year. I was forced to go without and I actually got a life and honestly it wasn't so bad. Now that we have a new computer, I'm able to enjoy it while keeping my priorities straight.

Pack your computer up or something where it's not easy to get to, and leave it there for a while. You'll be surprised at how quickly you adjust and you'll have so much more time!! I guarantee you'll see positive changes in just about every aspect of your life. After seeing how good it can be, when you get your computer back, you won't even be so tempted by it anymore.

It's kind of harsh, but it works! Good luck!

I wish I could, DP is a teck-y
#6 of 6 Old 09-12-2008, 05:09 PM

Techies can still set limits at home. Ever heard of the teetotaling bartender?

Here's an interesting article on reining in email addiction. Not exactly what you're looking for, but it might have some useful tips.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page