is tv so bad that it is an all or nothing thing? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 33 Old 11-22-2008, 09:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I really, honestly, do feel that the vast majority of what is on TV is mindless drivel or complete trash. So I think it's better for my family to be on the "nothing" side.

It's kind of the way I feel about Cosmo magazine. Sure, there might be a decent article in it, now and then. But that doesn't mean I'm going to subscribe to it.
#32 of 33 Old 12-01-2008, 02:09 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We haven't had a TV signal in 20 years, but have a small TV and watch videos or DVDs. We go through phases where the kids watch a lot of DVDs- like two or three a week, and then none for awhile. They didn't see any TV as toddlers.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#33 of 33 Old 12-01-2008, 04:46 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwyn View Post
I think TV is a whole lot like alcohol. Best for older people (I would really strongly caution against TV for under-2), potentially beneficial in small or moderate amounts, arguably bad for a society as a whole, impossible to prohibit for all, and highly addictive for those of us vulnerable to it.
Love this.

TV is a tyrant. Look at how we're obsessed with it. How did we manage without for all of human history till 60 years ago? Look at how we regularly compare it to an addiction. Look at how we have to struggle mightily to manage it reasonably. Look at how MDC has created a whole tribe for people who have proudly gone tv-free. Look at how we agonize about it and discuss it endlessly. It shouldn't be that big a deal. It isn't a big deal for a very few people. I think if you have talk about it all the time with your kids about how they feel about it and about making good choices and so on, then it IS a big deal. There's no kidding yourself, tv is huge and has forever changed humans all over the freakin' world.

Someone moved my effing cheese.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page