Tell me I'm no the only one!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-18-2008, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We've been TV free for almost 2 years.

I honestly never missed it (and it was ALWAYS on) until recently.

It's like some sort of withdrawl has hit me. It started with the Olympics. I have never cared a fig about sports but I really felt we were missing out.

I find myself fantasizing about breaking into someone's house, raiding their fridge for all the junk that we don't buy, and just sitting there in the dark for hours getting a TV tan.

What's up with that? I'm wondering if I'm mildly depressed or something.

Anyone else?

Anyone?

and
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2008, 12:32 AM

I don't think that you are depressed I think you are normal. I think that occationally all of us feel this way. It is normal to lust over things we do not have. What about getting a slightly unhealthy snack, going to the library checking out a dvd, and watching it on your computer. I have done this a few times and each time it sends me right back into reality. Meaning that A- I don't have time for this, B- I really don't enjoy this, and C- there are many other things that I would love to be doing.

Good luck! I have been t.v. free for almost 5 years. It's wonderful!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-26-2008, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for your reply!

I am not alone :

and
Old 09-29-2008, 02:46 PM

Mine comes and goes. When we first went TV free, I was fine for the first 6 months. Then the holidays hit and I found myself really wishing I could watch all of the Xmas shows that I've watched my entire life. So this year we'll just rent them on DVD. And there are times that I just want to veg out in front of some bad TV for a day (Hello, Lifetime!), but that just ends to happen when I'm feeling particularly exhausted.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:25 PM

You're not the only one.

Last Sunday DH and I sat down and watched an entire movie, beginning to end, with DD in the room. We were both exhausted and starved for downtime and just did not want to deal with bedtime. I looked at him and said "we are the worst parents ever." He looked at me and said "everyone needs a break." Yup.

This is the second time we've done this in the two years of DD's life. I am good with that.

Usually I am totally fine with being TV free during DD's waking hours. I hate kids shows and I don't have to watch DH's journey through every cop show produced in the past twenty years so no TV is a pleasant aesthetic improvement on my home life. The first 6 months were the hardest for me - I rigged the VCR through the stereo and would listen to shows but now I really don't miss primetime.

User Tag List