What do you think of other forms of screen-time for yourself, not DC? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-19-2008, 11:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I ask because I'm starting to feel that the internet is negative for me in the same way television used to way back when. You know, the more you watch the less engaged, less excited, less motivated and focused you feel so the more you watch kind of feeling.

DCs are sleeping, Dh is out of town and I'm here on my computer. What would really be a higher value for me would be to tackle the kitchen mess, do my prep for tomorrow, and either get to bed early or read the great new book I've started. But since I can't get motivated and since I've already sqaundered 30 minutes I feel deflated and bored.

Anyone else know what I'm talking about?

Happy mom to DS2000, DS2002, DD2004, DS2006 and DS 10/2009:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2008, 06:16 PM

Yup.

I think it's even harder when we are a part of a community like this, where involvement in the computer CAN be beneficial -- we can get lots of support and ideas and community here. But we can also get "sucked in" and check out, and really do damage to ourselves and our family, if we're not careful.

I have some notes on ideas to keep computer use sane and healthy -- I'll try to type them up, although I'm not sure when.

But you are definitely not alone.
Old 09-20-2008, 07:48 PM

Oh, I so totally know what you are talking about! I haven't watched TV in years, but I am an Internet ADDICT. I remember when we first moved into this house, it took me a few weeks to get the Internet connected, and I about went crazy, and then once I got through the withdrawal period, it was GREAT. All of a sudden, I had mountains of free time, and I felt like somebody had gotten the monkey off my back.

And yet here I am, still. Sometimes we talk about disconnecting the Internet, but DH uses it for his grad school, and honestly some days this place is my only social interaction AT ALL. Plus we save a lot of money buying necessary things over the Internet, and it saves me going out places and spending money in my free time, if I'm hanging out on MDC. But right now I need to mop mashed potatoes off the kitchen floor : and give the girls a bath, and instead I'm here AGAIN. For the third time today.

But seriously, I spend way too much time on here.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
Old 09-21-2008, 02:47 PM

This post is so timely b/c I think I've officially entered internet addiction mode. I'm good in the mornings b/c I don't even turn the computer on until DD goes down for her nap (most days), but oh how quickly I get sucked in! I'm a little worried of what's going to happen in the winter when I'm stuck in the house a lot more. Eagerly awaiting your tips, Arwyn.
Old 09-21-2008, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter

I'm glad you women understand. I'm all for hobbies, but I just think there are better ones than sitting hunched over my computre writing about intensely personal things to people who don't know me. What about the sister I love but have negelcted the last few years? If I'm in need of engaged adult contact (which I think is part of my reason for coming here) I need to develop my IRL relationships.

I think I'll establish a few screen free days a week to see how I feel.

I'll put my laptop on a shelf and take it down when I really need to write to someone, look something up or what not. I'll even set a timer so I don't lose more than 30 minutes here. Think I can do it?

Suzanne

Happy mom to DS2000, DS2002, DD2004, DS2006 and DS 10/2009:
Old 09-22-2008, 03:54 PM

Although we have dramatically reduced screen time in front of the television for DH and I, we are both addicted to the internet. I spend a disproportionate time reading on mothering.com and surfing the web and researching things after DCs are tucked into bed. We keep complaining that we never get any work accomplished (there's so much more to do) but yet can't seem to pull ourselves away from the computer. I know that we need down time but for 1-3 hours a night, that's a bit too much downtime. I like the idea of establishing limits.
Old 09-22-2008, 05:20 PM

Yep, I'm thinking a timer might be handy.
Old 09-22-2008, 05:24 PM

I have no tv but I think I spend more time sitting on my bum with the computer than I ever did with the tv. The tv had commercials so I'd get up and do things. The tv shows ended, so I could have a definite time to go to bed.

The computer has no commercials and no end time. And I can carry the laptop to bed with me. I hate it.

I need to make better choices with the computer.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:21 PM

So these were ideas that were brought up in terms of being a moderator and having a healthy relationship with the computer, but most of them are generally relevent also. Some of them are conflicting; since we're not all the same, we won't all deal with the time-suck the same way.
  • schedule computer time
  • use a timer
  • half an hour on the computer must be preceded or followed with half an hour (or more) actively engaged with your children (or the housework, or whatever)
  • have a routine when you're on the computer
  • turn instant messaging off
  • never read email first thing in the morning
  • take a day off
  • no laptops -- too easy to carry everywhere
  • get a laptop -- easier to check quick then shut
  • get an uncomfortable chair
  • your computer has an off button -- use it
  • this is specifically for mods, but I thought it was funny: "it's not your responsibility to make sure MDC doesn't blow up!" The corollary for members might be, it's not your responsibility to make sure every question gets answered, or every error disputed. Print this out and post it next to your computer.

Hope some of those help.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:45 PM

I spend waaaaay more time on the internet ( and mostly at MDC) than I EVER did watching t.v.

We have a t.v. and cable ( dh is a t.v. person.)

I mostly like the Sci-Fi Channel on Saturday night, or I like to watch DVDs on our t.v. and I will surf the news channels some.

The internet...it's like a blackhole that I let myself get sucked into. :

I don't read as many books as I used to ( I was a voracious reader) now that I have been on the internet for about...5 years?

Yea, I need an intervention.

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." -Plato
Old 09-22-2008, 11:01 PM

I actually set my computer to shut down at 9:10pm every night. But lately I've been hitting the cancel button. Tonight I'm going to let it shut down : and then walk the dog and then get ready for bed.

Part of my issue is that I live alone, so sometimes the computer feels like company since my friends are online, but I'm going to try this week letting it shut down at 9, and just seeing what happens.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:11 PM

Reporting in that the computer went off at 9 last night. And we are on track for that tonight, too. I'm building in some long breaks with a timer so I can get dishes, lunch prep, coffee prep, etc. done in between email, facebook, mdc and other internetting.

User Tag List