Returning to the tv-free life after a lapse in judgement. :) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-03-2008, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The past couple years I haven't been active at MDC, and had no idea there was even a tv-free forum until a couple days ago. Very cool.

Anyway, I grew up 99% tv free, my parents would rent a tv and vcr for very special occasions (like staying up for New Years) and we'd watch old stuff like Three Stooges and Little Rascals, etc. Good times. I want the same for my children because I remember how much time my brothers, sister and I spent outdoors, reading, and using our imaginations as a result of simply not even having hte option of watching tv. My husband grew up in front of the tv however, and is a little less convinced of the evils of tv. While we've remained pretty good about dd's exposure (only the occasional age-appropriate dvd from the library)... we had gotten into the habit of plopping down in front of the tv every night to watch whatever was on, which resulted in becoming addicted to certain shows, which resulted in being sucked into even more shows. It made me more tired than normal in the morning, and grumpier in general throughout the day. We now have gotten rid of cable and plan on selling the tv altogether. Just had to come here and announce that "publicly" to sort of set it in stone that we'll soon be completely and totally forever tv-free.
That is all.

Single student mama to dd 5/04 and ds 11/07.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2008, 01:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Welcome! Your absolutely right about getting sucked into shows just by casually watching in the evening. Good luck!

B.
Mama to : July '06

User Tag List