What do your tv-free kids do when they are sick? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 10-22-2008, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD has been sick so much lately. She will not nap-ever. Sick or healthy. She is 3 y/o. She feels too rotten and it's too cold to be outside right now. We've read books, done puzzles, drew pictures, a nice long bath, made cookies. I'm out of ideas. All she wants to do is watch t.v. and I'm letting her now. I don't know what else to do to keep her occupied while she is sick and needs to rest. Ideas, please!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 10-22-2008, 05:08 PM

This really interests me, b/c I would LOVE to tv-free my home but this is one of my major cons. My kids have rough winters with lots of illness and down time, and I have no idea how to work around that without a tv!
#3 of 7 Old 10-22-2008, 05:19 PM

If you don't have a TV, then watching TV isn't an option. We didn't have a TV growing up, so when we were sick we'd read books or play with inside toys and stuff. We didn't get sick much though, so it's hard to remember. I do remember getting read to a lot when we were all down with pneumonia one year (in August).

my toy shop on etsy.com: wooden baby keys, natural bathtub toys, wooden animals, little kitchens, waldorf dolls...also check out my blog about saving money, creating things, and natural living
#4 of 7 Old 10-23-2008, 12:08 AM

I also have a 3 year old non-napper. We have no tv in the house, so it's just not an option, that really helps. When she was sick last week, she played Play-Doh, snuggled with me, read books until my voice started to go, and was tired enough to just lay on the couch and watch her baby brother crawl around on the floor for awhile. I put her in the stroller for a long walk, and we sat outside and blew bubbles when she felt up to it.
#5 of 7 Old 10-23-2008, 02:12 AM

Now that DS is 4+ I'll let him mope with a movie (on the computer, since we don't own a TV) if he is really sick. But I don't let it happen all day.

The other things he likes to do when sick... draw, listen to books on CD, have mama read, nurse, go play dough, just piddle around I guess. We spend so much time outdoors on a normal basis, that sick days inside seem novel and he get into his toys/ dolls.

Mama to Zach 6-18-04 & Naia 10-13-10 Partner to the sweetest DH. Loving our life afloat. TV Free!
#6 of 7 Old 10-23-2008, 09:43 AM
Mab

we put a high pile of books and kids magazines by his bed (usually most of his books and magazines ) which he loves, the high pile looks promising and he usually goes trough the day looking at them (he doesnt read). That, and drawing.
i remember being a child myself and in bed, and how my fantasy worked. it was a time to think lots of things! even when i was little. i think being in bed is a great opportunity to be quiet in the outside and the inside. it's a good idea to not look at kids in bed like they have to be entertained, but to allow that kind of quieter time for the whole family and the kind of activities that come from that. Several times ds has said that he wish he was sick because he likes how everyone is extra warm with him, he can eat in bed, look at endless books and just be cozy. that should be a lovely memory to treasure
#7 of 7 Old 10-29-2008, 02:46 AM

Sick days are my "rules out the window" days. I usually just set up the sick kid with books, tea and music, reading to them if needed, but by the afternoon I usually give in and turn on a movie. Sometimes I even go rent one they haven't seen. Part of it is memories of my own childhood and how being able to zone out on a movie made being sick slightly more bearable. I'm not a fan of zoning out every day, but when you're sick or in pain, I think it's a reasonable option.

I hope she's feeling better soon!

Mama to our nose-in-a-book Autumn (6) & our old soul Molly (4)
Imaginative, fun jewelry & photography Shenandoah Sunshine

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page