Pissed at the grocery store - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 11-04-2008, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just got back from the grocery store and I am furious!

They have new car carts with built in TVs.

Now I get to be the bad guy when I take DD shopping and say no to the car carts. Actually, I have a choice in grocery stores so I now have to change my shopping habits. I said something to the assistant manager and he totally blew me off. DD wasn't with me so he probably thought I was childless. So I called the manager and told him we wouldn't be in again until the carts are gone.

I hate having people push tv on me, I don't push a tv-free lifestyle on them. :
#2 of 24 Old 11-04-2008, 03:48 PM

Oh boy. It seems like everyone is trying to keep kids plugged in 24/7 lately. First it was TVs in cars, now in grocery carts? Yikes.

Amanda , mama to my two boys: N (10/06) and : A (7/09)
#3 of 24 Old 11-04-2008, 03:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
In a grocery cart?! Wow that is crazy. We don't have anything like that here thank goodness.

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
#4 of 24 Old 11-04-2008, 05:54 PM

oh jeez.

really?

how does that even seem like a good idea???

~jen~ )O( mama to k 07/05 o 5/08 and c 12/09
#5 of 24 Old 11-04-2008, 05:56 PM

Wow, that's crazy!
#6 of 24 Old 11-04-2008, 08:44 PM

You are KIDDING?

What grocery store is this and in what state? I'd write them a letter. That is FREAKING INSANE!!!

Mama to Zach 6-18-04 & Naia 10-13-10 Partner to the sweetest DH. Loving our life afloat. TV Free!
#7 of 24 Old 11-05-2008, 12:18 AM

Wow! How bizarre? I can't imagine how that even makes business sense. Most people I know (and I don't know anyone else who's tv-free) are trying to limit their children's media consumption.

Mama to our nose-in-a-book Autumn (6) & our old soul Molly (4)
Imaginative, fun jewelry & photography Shenandoah Sunshine
#8 of 24 Old 11-05-2008, 02:06 PM

They have TVs in all cabs in NYC now, as well. At least you can turn them off--but TVs in kids' carts seem especially coercive.

Our local Whole Foods now has TVs installed above the meat and fish counters, showing food prep, etc. I find them SO annoying. Why add the extra level of noise and distraction?
#9 of 24 Old 11-06-2008, 12:09 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

It was just like this one except it had Barney instead of Dora plastered on the outside.

http://amandacarroll.wordpress.com/2...-childs-dream/

Not really my dream shopping experience.

Oh and mine was also at Tom Thumb (aka Safeway). (In TX)
#10 of 24 Old 11-06-2008, 12:30 AM

That is insane! I can't believe how many places have tv now. :

E Veg*n Mom to ds 6 : dd 3
#11 of 24 Old 11-06-2008, 12:39 AM

From the link "UPDATE: I just had a thought…how long until we have the same technology attached to STROLLERS! Yes! GRACO…are you listening?" I'm all for pragmatism, and doing what it takes to get through the day, but this seems so messed up to me.
#12 of 24 Old 11-06-2008, 01:09 AM

We had some of those at HEB here (also a TX chain) but they had radios playing kid songs. No tv. That would bug me and we're NOT tv-free. (I wish!)

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

#13 of 24 Old 11-06-2008, 08:45 AM

The Publix that I run into when my oldest is in ballet class has those TV carts. I have never used them and I cannot see any reason to. I like going to the grocery store with my kids. It doesn't take much preplanning to make it quick and easy. I make my list (in the order of the store layout) and have my list marked if I have coupons or items are on sale. I bring with me pads of paper, crayons, small books, snacks and juice boxes (my big secret weapon for keeping them happy!) We talk about what we're going to buy, I let my 3 yr old DD help me pick what kind/color of apples we should get and have her help me pick out 6 of them or whatever. I used to teach preschool and the grocery store is just such an awesome learning experience. I just can't see taking away that bonding time with my kids to plug them into a TV cart... and I'm not even TV free or anything, we watch TV quite a bit at home.

Beth
#14 of 24 Old 11-06-2008, 10:48 AM

arwyn - i saw that update too. I do not think stroller age kids need tv. A baby? Nope. A one year old? NO way. Its not like its hard to keep a baby occupied anyway, they just lay there in their stroller. A one year old perhaps, i know my dd doesn't like the stroller too much but i don't think tv is the answer. I don't know why , but the pushing of tv on kids just seems like more of an excuse to not interact with them. If you can just zone them out with a program, you can go on about your day. :

E Veg*n Mom to ds 6 : dd 3
#15 of 24 Old 11-06-2008, 12:27 PM

Ick. My dc help me shop. We talk about nutrition, and sales, and what we're going to eat that week. Why would I want to shut them out of that?

I might be singing a different tune if they went nuts in the grocery store, but, WTF? Why don't we just strap tv's onto kids like headlamps, and be done with it.
#16 of 24 Old 11-07-2008, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darien View Post
Ick. My dc help me shop. We talk about nutrition, and sales, and what we're going to eat that week. Why would I want to shut them out of that?

I might be singing a different tune if they went nuts in the grocery store, but, WTF? Why don't we just strap tv's onto kids like headlamps, and be done with it.
Watch out, someone with patent that idea.

Seriously, I'm very glad that such nonsense hasn't reached us here in Alaska yet. Hopefully, it never will.
#17 of 24 Old 11-07-2008, 04:08 AM

heh. I can understand why they could be annoying, but this would be a dream for me. Shopping with my kids is hell .
#18 of 24 Old 11-08-2008, 03:04 AM

That thing is really disturbing. It also looks incredibly stupid.

Like one of the previous posters mentioned, this completely shuts a kid out of the shopping experience. Quality interaction between child, parent and its surrounding environment is so important. How much more will children have to be left alone and "in the dark" before more people start realizing that this is maybe just a little too much?

eta: It mentions in the blog that the cart cannot be taken outside and have to move groceries into a separate cart and remove kid from tv cart. Is it just me or is that a tantrum waiting to happen?

uc.jpg  lotbirth.gif   waterbirth.jpg 
#19 of 24 Old 11-09-2008, 09:18 PM

I dunno, I don't have a problem with it. The stores I go to have fancy race car carts and I don't let my kids in those (not getting into reasons, they are valid and I don't want to type out the backstory), I don't have a problem telling them no for things I don't think they should have. It's as simple as explaining as you drive to the store, "we're not going to use the X kind of cart, if you throw a fit, we'll go home without shopping". Problem solved? I have pretty horrid tempered kids too, they throw a fit at everything!

Amy ~ Web Designing Single Mom to 4: DD14, DS12, DS5, DS3
#20 of 24 Old 11-13-2008, 02:29 AM

Wow. I have not seen those.
I wonder why the car isn't entertaining enough without putting a TV in it?
My dd loved the car carts. They were the only way we could shop for awhile.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#21 of 24 Old 11-16-2008, 02:38 AM
Banned

The problem is, the car carts at my big chain store are the only ones you can fit two kids into, so if you really need to have two kids ride, you have to use those. I'd hate to have that choice taken away if they put TVs on them. We tend to just have DD ride in the front of a normal cart, or she walks with me. But she is so "good" about the store anyway. But yeah, sometimes you are just trying to get your food and go, but what about interaction? I love that every week DD "helps" with something new, choosing fruit and bagging it, putting items in the cart, saying thank you to the fish guy...
#22 of 24 Old 11-17-2008, 11:53 PM

I'm flabbergasted and speechless... hope those darned things never make it north to Canada. After all the research into why tv for the under 2yr old crowd is bad and concerns over childhood obesity, we put TVs into strollers and shopping carts?!?

Is it really such a PITA to interact with one-on-one with one's child in real time?

Sign hanging in Albert Einstein's office at Princeton: Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted, counts.
#23 of 24 Old 11-24-2008, 03:57 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

DD and I had to go to the store with the tv carts for something we couldn't get elsewhere. She overheard me and DH talking about the carts so when we got to the store she walked over and looked at them. She said she wanted to ride in one but I said no, however she could use one of the old car carts if she wanted to. She seemed OK with that and got into the car cart without the tvs and asked me why she couldn't use the car cart with the tv. I told her that I prefer she pay attention to me rather than the tv, so what did she say? "I would rather pay attention to the tv."

This is the same girl who wants me and her to get jobs as teachers at the same school when she grows up so we can carpool to and from our house. And she will live with me forever. :
#24 of 24 Old 11-29-2008, 06:22 PM

I just tell my kids I don't have the money to rent one, which is the truth! They have them at Meijer's here and they charge a buck to use one. Of course my mother says I'm a mean mom because I won't rent one for my kids, but that's a whole other story : She thinks I'm a mean mom if I don't give in to their every whim!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page