Workshop #8: Discipline - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-26-2008, 09:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In my home I'm the leader of the family. I'm not the boss but I set the direction our family heads in, keeps everyone on schedule for all their stuff and provides the balance and experience to help my children navigate the earth.

I don't in anyway consider myself authoritarian but yeah, I'm likely authoritative based on the fact that in this home, I'm the authority(the most knowledgeable) about a lot of things.

My dh is my co-leader.

My children have a say in how things go in their life. It's a balancing act and sometimes things slip through and someone is NOT happy with how things went but generally we work things out without resentment.

I don't use the terms consentual living, gentle discipline in my definition of my family but we do live consentually and gently. I've found so many good things in different places and I refuse to subscribe to one methodology of one expert or another but take that which rings true for me and marry them all into our philosophy for our family.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2008, 03:49 AM

Well, I just perused the CL site posted above (didn't read it all thoroughly, but did read the introduction page) and maybe I'm wrong in stating above that we all feel that there should be boundaries. I realize that I may have been overgeneralizing and that perhaps that's not a principle embraced by those who practice CL. I am new to the overall concept.

I agree with the idea that everyone's needs are important no matter who they are or what their age and that ideally everyone's needs will be met all the time. (No situation or family is going to be 100% ideal, though.) Interesting concepts on that site. I don't agree with all of it, but it's definitely food for thought. Thank you for sharing it.
Old 11-27-2008, 06:37 PM

Hi Everyone!

Joining in. I'm a big advocate of gentle discipline and have written a few things that seem like a good fit with this chapter:

My Discipline Spectrum

Why Punishment Doesn't Work

Short-Term Versus Long-Term Parenting

When All Else Fails

Those are just a few examples of my posts and articles on discipline. It is an interesting and challenging topic!

The thing I would be interested in talking about with all of you is how to teach children to be considerate of others and being cooperative. Certainly modelling it is the first step and I expect 2 year olds to think that the world revolves around them, but I had hoped my 4 year old would be more considerate of others at this point in his life.

He is very loving and generous, but he doesn't understand and doesn't seem to want to understand the negative impact that his actions sometimes have on others. Sometimes it is as serious as not understanding that his sister can get seriously hurt if he shoves her off the bed. Other times it is the less serious but ever reoccurring situation of not realizing that his lack of cooperation in getting ready to leave the house in the morning makes me late for work.

I try to use playful parenting techniques to coax him to cooperate, which is a good stop gap a lot of the time, but it doesn't help me achieve the long term goal of teaching him to be considerate and cooperative with others.

Any ideas?
Old 11-28-2008, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronsMommy View Post
What I have learned lately is that when I have nothing else to do and am simple spending time with him, I have no problem being patient, redirecting, being playful, regardless of what undesired behavior he is displaying. Yet, it is when I am trying to actually accomplish something that I struggle with giving him the time he needs to make his own decisions and keeping my temper in check.
I completely agree with this! I am a mama to a 19 month old girl who is fun-loving, smart and hilarious most of the time; however, she is also extremely strong-willed. I am truly learning about GD from the ground up...grass-roots learning I guess. My family was "obey or else!" and DH is also very authoritarian but is learning along with me thankfully!

I'd say my biggest challenges are to stop saying "No" so much (even though I often say it in a funny way) and to stop yelling when I am pushed to my limit. My mom was a yeller and I don't want to go down that road. I remember how horrible it made me feel.

I can't wait to learn more from all of the other GD mamas!

Mom to Nora - 04/07 and Brendan - born still at 23 weeks - 07/10
Old 11-29-2008, 07:09 PM

:

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

Old 11-29-2008, 10:56 PM

I am excited to be a part of this workshop. One of the hardest things that I contend with on a daily basis is slowing down enough to ensure that I am disciplining my children without snapping at them. It seems like life moves so fast, but when I regulate my time, and make sure that I always have time to listen to them, and what they are trying to tell me through their actions, then disciplining seems to go smoothly. It is when life is so busy that we have to get to the next place or committment immediately, that is when I have the most trouble making sure that everyone feels like what they are trying to say and do is being understood.

Mama to 3 amazing boys, ages 9, 7 and 21 months. 

Old 11-30-2008, 02:19 AM

My DD is almost 20 months...and I'm going through the same things. I'm really really trying to say no less often, and I'm trying to give her a "yes" environment so that there are less things that she cannot play with around. It's really hard though sometimes when DD is sooo strong willed. I grew up in a yelling/somewhat spanking household...and I really really want to figure out how to not be that person.

Something I have just recently done was ask my mother what things she would have done differently in regards to parenting my brother and I. She was with us on Thanksgiving and kept saying how wonderful I am to my daughter and how she wishes she would have done things differently. She even teared up thinking about it. So I emailed her and asked her to explain what she would have done differently and why so that maybe I can heal from my growing up experiences that weren't so positive.

I'm so grateful for all the information I've learned on mothering.com and am excited to keep on learning!

Tara, mama to Addison (4/07) and brokenheart.gif 03/20/10, brokenheart.gif05/27/10, and our newest addition and  rainbow1284.gifbabygirl.gif Emerson Rae (4/27/11) uc.jpg, married to John

Old 11-30-2008, 11:19 AM

Shivaya Mama, I hear you on the time crunch issue. One of the roughest times in our household (and I've heard from a lot of people that it's the same way in theirs) is in the morning before school (my dd attends public school). I definitely find that when I do things ahead of time (lay out clothes, make lunch) so that I am less stressed, the morning goes better.

And Tara, from one Tara to another ... Be so very grateful that your mother can look back and see that things could have been done differently. Even though it wasn't ideal for you as a child, what a beautiful contribution toward healing that gives you. I had a similar upbringing, with yelling and spanking and also a LOT of inconsistency and confusion - never quite knowing what to expect from my parents - but my mother criticizes dh's and my parenting. She is an RN and has even stated several times that she thinks she would like to become a "parenting coach." It is a real exercise in self-control not to cough or roll my eyes.
Old 11-30-2008, 12:43 PM

Tara, you are so right how getting everything together can help so much to stay calm and connected to our children. After my first son was born, a girlfriend introduced me to the Fly Lady system. At first I thought it was a bit silly, but when I read further, I realized how amazing it could be. I have to say that it has helped tremendously. I at least get a head start on everything in my day (I am pretty sure that I lose focus at around lunch time, but I am trying ). I suppose that I was never prepared for how busy life gets with small children, and how much being busy can effect our ability to discipline consciously. That is the one thing, every morning before I get out of bed, that I really tell myself to focus on; Just to put my day together in a way that is good and healthy for everyone. What surprises me is what I have to cut out of my day to achieve that, and how I have to plan my week ahead to make sure that everything still gets done. I suppose that it is just a learning curve that we are always trying to stay ahead of.

Mama to 3 amazing boys, ages 9, 7 and 21 months. 

Old 11-30-2008, 08:33 PM

Shivaya...I was wondering if you could elaborate on how you put your day together in a way that is good and healthy for everyone...and what exactly you cut out of your day in order to do so.

I'm fairly young, (23), and I didn't really have what I consider to be a good role model as far as gentle discipline and basically a house keeper. I am a SAHM and I also work PT....but I feel like I have to learn EVERYTHING about running a household and being a good mother on my own....any tips?

And Tara...you're right. It was so very refreshing to hear my mom discuss her faults and the things that didn't go very well during my childhood. I'm not quite sure how to deal with it exactly..but just hearing from her that she wishes some things would have been different helps!

Tara, mama to Addison (4/07) and brokenheart.gif 03/20/10, brokenheart.gif05/27/10, and our newest addition and  rainbow1284.gifbabygirl.gif Emerson Rae (4/27/11) uc.jpg, married to John

Old 11-30-2008, 11:23 PM

ShivayaMama, it's funny you mentioned flylady. I discovered flylady in 2002 through an article in New Beginnings, the La Leche League magazine. I am on-again, off-again with flylady's techniques. I definitely think they are good and useful! (I am currently off the flylady wagon, though ) Thanks for the reminder. I do use some of what she teaches regularly, though, even though I am unsubbed from her list currently (I get overwhelmed easily at times).
Old 12-04-2008, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammal_mama View Post
So I have to keep shadowing her, and being proactive and helping her to communicate, sometimes taking her out of the play area if she just keeps being aggressive.
Hello all. This is a great conversation! I haven't gotten through all the responses yet, but I wanted to comment on this.

I do not mean to offend, and I am not judging your parenting; reading this just brought up a thought for me:
When we are so engaged with our children, especially the busy and sharing-challenged among them, how do we balance their need to be self-reliant and negotiate the world on their own with the social need for us to intervene when their behavior is inappropriate?

I have found it very valuable for my 22 month old dd to attend a day care two days a week. It is a really great teaching center at a university. I think it has been really good for dd to form relationships with other (gentle) adults and with other children. I think it is really helpful for her to learn what is appropriate and inappropriate from other people as well as me; then it becomes clear that it is a cultural rule rather than "mama's rule," if you kwim. I guess I'm getting at the "community to raise a child" thing.

I am fortunate to have a sister and a mother who are very active in clearly communicating boundaries with dd. I think our society really lacks that kind of interaction with children. I know it's super touchy to "get real" with other people's children, but when there is an entire community treating children as equal partners in society the result is beautiful.

That's all for now.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:00 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Hi, sunnygir1! I do see your point, but whenever my 3yo is showing a tendency to be aggressive, I simply don't feel okay about sitting back and waiting 'til she's hurt someone before I intervene.

I'm glad that you have people you can trust to care for your child: Unfortunately, the people I currently know all believe in some form of punishment. I'm trying to branch out and get to know more gentle-discipline folks, so hopefully we'll soon have a more trustworthy community.

However, we don't believe in forced separations, and our 3yo is very attached to me, so even when we have our trusted community, it will probably be a while before she spends time with others without me or dh being there.

Susan -- married unschoolin' WAHMomma to two lovely girls (born 2000 and 2005).
Old 12-05-2008, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammal_mama View Post
Hi, sunnygir1! I do see your point, but whenever my 3yo is showing a tendency to be aggressive, I simply don't feel okay about sitting back and waiting 'til she's hurt someone before I intervene.
I have a physically aggressive 3 year old as well, so like mammal_mama, my first priority is to try and keep him from hurting other kids (or grown ups!). And that means sticking to him like glue. All. The. Time. Oh how I have often longed to be in that other room chatting with all the other moms who have more gentle children!

While I think it helps to have others reinforce appropriate cultural behavior, it will not magically transform an aggressive-natured child into a gentle-natured child. My DS has regular interaction with a wonderful community of GD moms and it has not changed his tendency to act out physically. He is much more inflexible and easily frustrated than the average kid and so he requires more help learning skills to overcome and express his emotions. Having another person simply tell him what's appropriate/inappropriate will not change his behavior. Unless you have an aggressive child like mine (or have a child who has been "beat up" by a child like mine), it's hard to understand.

Which brings me to why I was drawn to this thread...help! I have an aggressive child! To make things worse, DS' behavior has become amplified with the birth of his sister two months ago. I am really looking for some support and advice on how to keep my cool and stay true to the GD principles I believe in when DS goes Rambo on everyone in the waiting room at the doctors office...

Zachary (Jan. 16, 05), Blossom (Sept. 14, 08)
::
Old 12-05-2008, 04:53 PM

It's good to know I'm not alone, MamaKalena!

Old 12-07-2008, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaKalena View Post
Which brings me to why I was drawn to this thread...help! I have an aggressive child! To make things worse, DS' behavior has become amplified with the birth of his sister two months ago. I am really looking for some support and advice on how to keep my cool and stay true to the GD principles I believe in when DS goes Rambo on everyone in the waiting room at the doctors office...
you may have already considered this, but have you looked at his diet? i have one gentle child and one more aggressive. i have definitely noticed a difference with both of them when they eat certain foods. too much sugar (natural, fruit, yogurt, etc) makes my youngest hostile. red dye is a major no=no for him (really should be for everyone, i know). my oldest has more complicated issues, but too much wheat and dairy sends him over the edge.
Old 12-07-2008, 01:48 PM

Quote:
I have a physically aggressive 3 year old as well, so like mammal_mama, my first priority is to try and keep him from hurting other kids (or grown ups!). And that means sticking to him like glue. All. The. Time. Oh how I have often longed to be in that other room chatting with all the other moms who have more gentle children!

While I think it helps to have others reinforce appropriate cultural behavior, it will not magically transform an aggressive-natured child into a gentle-natured child. My DS has regular interaction with a wonderful community of GD moms and it has not changed his tendency to act out physically. He is much more inflexible and easily frustrated than the average kid and so he requires more help learning skills to overcome and express his emotions. Having another person simply tell him what's appropriate/inappropriate will not change his behavior. Unless you have an aggressive child like mine (or have a child who has been "beat up" by a child like mine), it's hard to understand.
MamaKalena, if your child is physical without seeming malicious in his intent (by that I mean that he hurts others without provocation, he's not getting even or reacting in anger most of the time, he may seem to do these things because he has to, that it seems out of his control) I'd look into sensory processing disorder (aka sensory integration disorder). You can find info online, but a great book to start with is Raising Your Spirited Child by Mary Sheedy Kurcinka which discusses children that are more intense, more sensitive, more needy . . . just more. From your description it seems as if your son could fall into that category.

My eldest, who is 6, has been more physical from very early on. He would walk by his younger brother and push him over for no reason that I could see--no one was upset, his brother was a baby just sitting on the floor minding his own business, etc. It was SO frustrating for me because I just couldn't understand why he would do these things. I could understand better if it was out of anger, and could teach him how to better navigate the situation, but 99% of the time, there was no anger involved. What's more, these things he would do seemed so out of character for him because he was such a sensitive, sweet, gentle person. It just didn't fit. This went on for years (including many other behaviors) with him being physical, but not something I would ever term aggressive (unless he was upset or angry). About a year ago I stumbled across sensory processing disorder . . . and there was my son. So now I understand more of what's going on with him and how to help him get what he needs so he is not hurting others.

One other thought, for something mammal_mama said: that she shadows her daughter and tries to prevent things from happening. When it comes to physical acts that would hurt others, it makes sense to me to stop it before it can happen for more than just the not-wanting-your-child-to-hurt-someone-else's-child reason. It seems logical that the less a child does some action, like pushing for example, the less likely s/he is to continue to do it. So if you can stop it before it happens, perhaps it will not become a habit with a child to do it. (Of course, that doesn't work if your child has sensory integration issues, I have found out by experience!) If you can instead teach your child to approach others with gentleness by distracting her from or interrupting her physical impulse before it happens, that would seem to be more effective at by-passing what could be months of your child hurting others, and all the guilt, stress, and frustration that goes with that.

Jen, mom of R (9), T (7), C (5), and E (2) ... my stillheart.gifs

Old 12-07-2008, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtara2003x View Post
I'm fairly young, (23), and I didn't really have what I consider to be a good role model as far as gentle discipline and basically a house keeper. I am a SAHM and I also work PT....but I feel like I have to learn EVERYTHING about running a household and being a good mother on my own....any tips?
I'm a young parent, too (21 years old) and I feel this way a lot, too. Studying parenting and homemaking is just as much work as studying for school ever was. People have mentioned FlyLady. A lot of what she says isn't relevant to me, but a big thing I've gotten out of her book is figuring out a routine that *does* work for me and breaking tasks down into manageable pieces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnygir1 View Post
When we are so engaged with our children, especially the busy and sharing-challenged among them, how do we balance their need to be self-reliant and negotiate the world on their own with the social need for us to intervene when their behavior is inappropriate?

I have found it very valuable for my 22 month old dd to attend a day care two days a week. It is a really great teaching center at a university. I think it has been really good for dd to form relationships with other (gentle) adults and with other children. I think it is really helpful for her to learn what is appropriate and inappropriate from other people as well as me; then it becomes clear that it is a cultural rule rather than "mama's rule," if you kwim. I guess I'm getting at the "community to raise a child" thing.
I'm jealous that you've found a good community to help you raise your child. I like the idea of "it takes a community to raise a child" idea, but sometimes it just seems like the larger community's ideas on how to raise a child is simply horrible. I particularly struggle with this as an introvert, because it takes a lot of my energy to do the work to make the kind of connections to build a tribe like that.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaxMamma View Post
you may have already considered this, but have you looked at his diet? i have one gentle child and one more aggressive. i have definitely noticed a difference with both of them when they eat certain foods. too much sugar (natural, fruit, yogurt, etc) makes my youngest hostile. red dye is a major no=no for him (really should be for everyone, i know). my oldest has more complicated issues, but too much wheat and dairy sends him over the edge.
We have been suspicious of his diet because he is not a big eater and never has been unless it was mama's milk! His main staple these days is yogurt and granola -- sometimes it's all he'll eat for dinner! We try to keep the sugar down by using mostly plain yogurt, but even that has sugar. I think he would flip if we didn't let him eat it anymore! How much sugar can your youngest tolerate before you notice it affecting him? And how much wheat and dairy can your oldest handle? I would love any diet tips.

While I think it's worth experimenting with his diet, my gut tells me this might be just who he is because I remember that even at 6 months when he started crawling he'd go over to other kids in our parent/baby group and bite them. Then when he started walking at 9 months he changed to hitting since he had his hands free. His language skills developed early, too, but still he would just react instead of use words when he got frustrated. I knew that toddlers have very little impulse control and so assumed that was a big part of it. Now that he is almost four I expected things to have improved, but instead it's gotten worse.

Old 12-08-2008, 12:28 AM

Quote:
We have been suspicious of his diet because he is not a big eater and never has been unless it was mama's milk! His main staple these days is yogurt and granola -- sometimes it's all he'll eat for dinner! We try to keep the sugar down by using mostly plain yogurt, but even that has sugar. I think he would flip if we didn't let him eat it anymore! How much sugar can your youngest tolerate before you notice it affecting him? And how much wheat and dairy can your oldest handle? I would love any diet tips.

While I think it's worth experimenting with his diet, my gut tells me this might be just who he is because I remember that even at 6 months when he started crawling he'd go over to other kids in our parent/baby group and bite them. Then when he started walking at 9 months he changed to hitting since he had his hands free. His language skills developed early, too, but still he would just react instead of use words when he got frustrated. I knew that toddlers have very little impulse control and so assumed that was a big part of it. Now that he is almost four I expected things to have improved, but instead it's gotten worse.
if he has such a strong propensity towards wheat and dairy (like the yogurt and granola) then that would be the first clue that he actually has an allergy. that's how allergies work, the cause such a strong reaction within your body that you crave it even more. and if you were consuming wheat and dairy while BFing, then he was getting that in the Breastmilk and could definitely have been a factor even then.

as far as sugar and my youngest, it also has to do w/how much protein he gets along w/the sugar. so, if he has a fruit, i try to get him to eat a protein as well. we have good days and bad days, but i try to steer him towards non-sugary items.

we had my oldest on a gluten-free, casein-free diet for 6 months and saw great improvement in the meltdowns and anger. we then slowly reintro'd it by letting him have one wheat or dairy a day. his body seemed to tolerate it okay. we're actually now to the point where i think we need to go back to the GF/CF. he's not been doing so great lately.

if you're going to make dietary changes, my recommendation would be to do it slowly. don't tell him he can't have yogurt ever again, but try offering a substitute for the yogurt and let him keep the granola. then make changes to the granola, etc. try to up the other areas of his diet that may be missing. let him fill up on veggies, nuts, protein, etc.

what happens if you're just out of granola and yogurt? what would he do?
Old 12-08-2008, 01:32 AM

That's an awesome, brief description of Gentle Discipline. Its probably the best compilation of information that I've seen on the topic. My undergraduate and graduate education is in early childhood education so discipline is a big, BIG topic that I learned a lot about. My education was basically training me to become a parent educator, but I was really young (still am, but at least I am a mother now) and I've got my new shiny initials at the end of my name, so maybe I'll be going back to spreading information on gentle discipline to parents. But at this point, I'm busy practicing with my own...

To me, its a good summary of my favorite discipline resources:
Punished By Rewards by Alfie Kohn
Positive Discipline by Jane Nelson
The Guides to Speech and Action from Katherine Read Baker (1976) The
Nursery School: A Human Relationships Laboratory. Philadelphia, W.B. Saunders Company.

I haven't read Peggy's book yet, but maybe that will be a Christmas present to myself.

M.Ed. Mama to Chunka (1/07), Beauty (5/09) and Elizabear 3/12): Birth Doula (working toward certification) AAMI Midwifery Student, Advocating with Solace for Mothers & The Birth Survey

Old 12-08-2008, 11:00 AM

Jenneology, thanks for participating. I'm sure you will make good use of those nice shiny initials and congratulations on that.

It's nice when you have a community to help you raise your children but it can be very stressful if the community is batting against your ideas rather than for them. I've never had grandparents/family around to help me with the kids and sometimes I've longed for that but then I send my daughter home with my mother last summer and she calls because a group of kids walked my daughter home(she's 14) and there was a boy(gasp) in the group. We're not afraid of boys in my home although it would appear we might be with only girls .

I think we have to hug and talk. I've spent a lot of time reading, researching, I'm am a bonafied expert without a degree and I've found that with all the complicated expert opinions and myriad of research I've waded through it comes down to enjoying the moments as they occur, realistic expectations and understanding of the developmental age of the child, oodles of compassion for their circumstances as new people on earth and a good balance in your own life.

Our children must be our first priority but that doesn't mean they get to go first every single time. And let go of guilt. We all make mistakes. Guilt just weakens our parenting skills and interferes with the normal development of the relationship. I hold some regrets as a parent, I've made some mistakes of course but I hold zero guilt inside me for any of them because no one could love and do more for these kids than I am.

and now I must go wake one up for school
Old 12-08-2008, 10:50 PM

I feel pretty good about something today. This afternoon while I was fixing dinner, my 3yo started running around doing all kinds of difficult stuff -- throwing her snack around, squirting her sister in the face with water from a squirt-bottle ...

I started out saying, "WHY are you doing this? --" Then stopped and said, "How would you like to play with some play-dough?" And she was all excited and sat at the kitchen table and did that the whole time I fixed dinner.

And I brainstormed some other ideas I could have used if that hadn't worked (for future reference) -- such as ripping up lettuce for the salad, chopping celery with a butter knife, painting, washing off her toys with the squirt-bottle (on a towel on the kitchen floor, after which I could have swiped up the whole floor with the wet towel and had a cleaner floor ) ...

But. There are many areas where I still feel so clueless. Last week we had to go to the ER (luckily it was just a sprained finger and not a broken one) -- and the nurse asked me if our 3yo had some kind of a diagnosis like ADHD. She said that's what her daughter has, and my dd reminded her of her own dd, because of the way she was rapidly (and involuntarily) moving her arms and legs around while she sat in the chair.

I said dd'd always done that when she was excited, and it hadn't occurred to me to think it might be ADHD (I've heard another theory about this being caused by hunger, but that doesn't seem to be the case with my dd) ...

When I was home, I looked ADHD up, and it gave a list of unapplicable stuff about schoolwork. We unschool, so I don't think ADHD will ever be applicable.

Sometimes, when dd is being really physical and aggressive, I wonder if she's "sensory-seeking" which I heard a little about here at MDC. It does seem to help when we do lots of rough-housing -- though I have to be careful, 'cause if we keep doing it beyond a certain point (it's usually both dd's and me), someone always seems to get hurt.

Old 12-09-2008, 02:05 AM

The one thing I'm realizing is that each of my children are completely different and respond to different GD techniques. I'm not sure how DD is going to be, as she's only 17 months old... but it should be interesting to find out.

DS1 was having anger/frustration issues.... so I tried to teach him how to take deep breaths and calm down a bit. I was very happy to see him tell his little brother to not be so upset and take deep breaths to feel better.

How do you Mamas deal with talking back?

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

Old 12-09-2008, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenmk View Post
MamaKalena, if your child is physical without seeming malicious in his intent (by that I mean that he hurts others without provocation, he's not getting even or reacting in anger most of the time, he may seem to do these things because he has to, that it seems out of his control) I'd look into sensory processing disorder (aka sensory integration disorder). You can find info online, but a great book to start with is Raising Your Spirited Child by Mary Sheedy Kurcinka which discusses children that are more intense, more sensitive, more needy . . . just more. From your description it seems as if your son could fall into that category.
Hmm...I don't know. After googling this and glancing at the symptom checklist, he doesn't seem to fit the description. Yet I'd say half the time he just walks up to some poor kid and pushes or hits them for no reason. Or he'll attack someone over small things like a kid is standing in his way or playing with something in the sandbox that he'd like to play with. I've been trying to give him the words to use when situations like these arise, and I know he tries really hard, but he has such a short fuse.

Old 12-09-2008, 03:46 AM

Quote:
if he has such a strong propensity towards wheat and dairy (like the yogurt and granola) then that would be the first clue that he actually has an allergy. that's how allergies work, the cause such a strong reaction within your body that you crave it even more. and if you were consuming wheat and dairy while BFing, then he was getting that in the Breastmilk and could definitely have been a factor even then.

as far as sugar and my youngest, it also has to do w/how much protein he gets along w/the sugar. so, if he has a fruit, i try to get him to eat a protein as well. we have good days and bad days, but i try to steer him towards non-sugary items.

we had my oldest on a gluten-free, casein-free diet for 6 months and saw great improvement in the meltdowns and anger. we then slowly reintro'd it by letting him have one wheat or dairy a day. his body seemed to tolerate it okay. we're actually now to the point where i think we need to go back to the GF/CF. he's not been doing so great lately.

if you're going to make dietary changes, my recommendation would be to do it slowly. don't tell him he can't have yogurt ever again, but try offering a substitute for the yogurt and let him keep the granola. then make changes to the granola, etc. try to up the other areas of his diet that may be missing. let him fill up on veggies, nuts, protein, etc.

I'd like for DS to try a GF/CF diet. It's going to be hard, though. The kid no longer eats ANY veggies except a couple slices of carrots now and then. He used to eat all kinds, but over the last year or two he has simply refused. So I actually have resorted to giving him powdered greens in smoothies. Could you give me an example of a what your son eats for breakfast, lunch and dinner on a typical day? Also, how long was he GF/CF before you saw a change in his behavior? Thanks for all the info! It's been very helpful.

Quote:
This has happened. We ran out and I told him we'll get more the next time we go grocery shopping and he cried and got really upset. Of course, it didn't help that he had just woken up and was hungry. I think I'd just have to gradually phase it like you suggested. He's a smart one, though, and very persistent. This is a going to be a fun diet for our family.

Old 12-09-2008, 04:46 PM

Quote:
I'd like for DS to try a GF/CF diet. It's going to be hard, though. The kid no longer eats ANY veggies except a couple slices of carrots now and then. He used to eat all kinds, but over the last year or two he has simply refused. So I actually have resorted to giving him powdered greens in smoothies. Could you give me an example of a what your son eats for breakfast, lunch and dinner on a typical day? Also, how long was he GF/CF before you saw a change in his behavior? Thanks for all the info! It's been very helpful.
i don't mean to hijackthis thread, but truly diet plays a major factor in how our children (and us, as adults) behave. my son was the same as yours, he dropped all fruits and veggies from his diet and got down to only eating pancakes, yogurt, and cheese. so, i made a miracle recipe for pancakes, there's everything in there, including zuccini, sweet potato, and flax. (i can PM you the recipe, if you like) this was his main staple for years. we now have him in feeding thereapy to accept new foods. but, he was eating pancakes for all 3 meals. he would eat potato chips, corn chips, or GF/CF cereal for snacks in between. and he ONLY drank water until recently.

i believe it will take 14 - 60 days to eliminate gluten and casein from the bowels before you will see total improvement.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Hmm...I don't know. After googling this and glancing at the symptom checklist, he doesn't seem to fit the description. Yet I'd say half the time he just walks up to some poor kid and pushes or hits them for no reason. Or he'll attack someone over small things like a kid is standing in his way or playing with something in the sandbox that he'd like to play with. I've been trying to give him the words to use when situations like these arise, and I know he tries really hard, but he has such a short fuse.
For what it's worth, the info I first found about it didn't seem to apply to my son. This site, Sensory Processing Disorder, was the one that had the most detailed info and the one that really made me think it might be what my son had going on. He would push for no reason, and still does, when he is sensory seeking. Thankfully I'm learning what to do physically to help him regain his inner balance so he's able to be gentle.

Regardless, I hope you find what works with your son. I know from experience how frustrating it is to have a child that is physical. It's a real challenge to my sense of GD sometimes.

Jen, mom of R (9), T (7), C (5), and E (2) ... my stillheart.gifs

Old 12-10-2008, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taramommy View Post
On the subject of authoritativeness... I once read the difference between an "authoritative" parent vs. an "authoritarian" parent. As a matter of fact, to quote the article, "'Parents who are not harshly punitive, but who set firm boundaries and stick to them, are significantly more likely to produce children who are high achievers and who get along well with others,' states U.S.News & World Report. Such parents are termed 'authoritative' ('do it for this reason'), as opposed to 'authoritarian' ('do it because I’m the parent') and 'permissive' ('do whatever you want'), disciplinary styles that produced children with behavioral traits that were markedly different. The studies, which spanned two decades, showed that authoritative parents were more likely to have children who were stable, contented, self-controlled, and self-reliant, and who were less likely to experiment with drugs. 'Authoritative parents are not bossy.'” I think we all think it's important to set boundaries and teach our children the reasons behind behaviors we expect, right? Thoughts on these statements?
Thank you for taking the time to differentiate between authoritarian and authoritative parenting. So often I see those terms used interchangeably, and they are very different from each other.

I think most all of us here would not want to be authoritarian, and I expect that many of us here strive toward authoritative parenting. (I do.)

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

Old 12-10-2008, 11:26 PM

I like the definition of authoritative parent. This will definitely resonate with my DH. I think he often thinks some gentle discipline techniques are too permissive.

Thanks!

Mom to Nora - 04/07 and Brendan - born still at 23 weeks - 07/10

User Tag List