Workshop #8: Discipline - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 64 Old 12-13-2008, 06:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm going through a difficult phase with my one year old. He's old enough to get into all kinds of trouble but not old enough to understand why i tell him not to touch certain things. He's very smart and he catches on but i find it hard to tell him no and have him stop doing something in a gentle way. Sometimes when he takes things off of shelves in a store i'll say "Put it back please", and he does and then claps for himself and i say, "Good job, Hendrix! Thank you!." but then he just takes it off the shelf again so he can get praised again. lol

I pretty much had ZERO discipline as a child besides my mom beating the crap out of me so this part of parenting is all new to me. It's really difficult.
#62 of 64 Old 12-14-2008, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheepNumber97245 View Post
I'm going through a difficult phase with my one year old. He's old enough to get into all kinds of trouble but not old enough to understand why i tell him not to touch certain things. He's very smart and he catches on but i find it hard to tell him no and have him stop doing something in a gentle way. Sometimes when he takes things off of shelves in a store i'll say "Put it back please", and he does and then claps for himself and i say, "Good job, Hendrix! Thank you!." but then he just takes it off the shelf again so he can get praised again. lol

I pretty much had ZERO discipline as a child besides my mom beating the crap out of me so this part of parenting is all new to me. It's really difficult.
Oh I remember that fun stage

I'd say redirect, redirect, redirect. Get him interested in something he can do rather than focus on what he can't do. He may be able to follow your instructions to put something back, but he may not understand why you are asking him to do it. My guess is that he might keep taking things off the shelf not for praise, but simply because he 1) has a short memory and 2) has little or no impulse control and just can't resist.

Zachary (Jan. 16, 05), Blossom (Sept. 14, 08)
::
#63 of 64 Old 12-14-2008, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheepNumber97245 View Post

My DS is the same age. He is constantly testing out whether I will respond the same way. One of his favorite things to do is turn on the tub faucet (just the cold, for some reason!) in our master bath and play with the water. He looks at me each time he goes toward the tub, as if to say, "This time, Mama? Will you stop me this time?" And I do. It's hard, because I cannot lift him (herniated disc in my back). I firmly tell him, "leave it," which is what DH and I say when we want him to not touch something. Then I try to make something else really enticing, "Let's find your socks, DS! Where are your socks? Your feet are bare. Just look at your little toes!..."

I also say, "Thank you," when he does something I want him to do.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#64 of 64 Old 12-19-2008, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaxMamma View Post
as far as sugar and my youngest, it also has to do w/how much protein he gets along w/the sugar.
Great resource: Little Sugar Addicts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by umsami View Post
How do you Mamas deal with talking back?
"Try again." Said matter-of-factly, repeatedly if necessary, preventing child from doing anything like playing or eating until she complies.

Analisa, Mama to Meg 12/12/01, Patrick 12/24/03, Catherine 12/24/03, Ben 2/26/06

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page