Workshop #8: Discipline - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
1  2  3
Natural Family Living Workshops > Workshop #8: Discipline
SheepNumber97245's Avatar SheepNumber97245 07:13 AM 12-13-2008
I'm going through a difficult phase with my one year old. He's old enough to get into all kinds of trouble but not old enough to understand why i tell him not to touch certain things. He's very smart and he catches on but i find it hard to tell him no and have him stop doing something in a gentle way. Sometimes when he takes things off of shelves in a store i'll say "Put it back please", and he does and then claps for himself and i say, "Good job, Hendrix! Thank you!." but then he just takes it off the shelf again so he can get praised again. lol

I pretty much had ZERO discipline as a child besides my mom beating the crap out of me so this part of parenting is all new to me. It's really difficult.

MamaKalena's Avatar MamaKalena 05:50 PM 12-14-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheepNumber97245 View Post
I'm going through a difficult phase with my one year old. He's old enough to get into all kinds of trouble but not old enough to understand why i tell him not to touch certain things. He's very smart and he catches on but i find it hard to tell him no and have him stop doing something in a gentle way. Sometimes when he takes things off of shelves in a store i'll say "Put it back please", and he does and then claps for himself and i say, "Good job, Hendrix! Thank you!." but then he just takes it off the shelf again so he can get praised again. lol

I pretty much had ZERO discipline as a child besides my mom beating the crap out of me so this part of parenting is all new to me. It's really difficult.
Oh I remember that fun stage

I'd say redirect, redirect, redirect. Get him interested in something he can do rather than focus on what he can't do. He may be able to follow your instructions to put something back, but he may not understand why you are asking him to do it. My guess is that he might keep taking things off the shelf not for praise, but simply because he 1) has a short memory and 2) has little or no impulse control and just can't resist.
ASusan's Avatar ASusan 06:01 PM 12-14-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheepNumber97245 View Post

My DS is the same age. He is constantly testing out whether I will respond the same way. One of his favorite things to do is turn on the tub faucet (just the cold, for some reason!) in our master bath and play with the water. He looks at me each time he goes toward the tub, as if to say, "This time, Mama? Will you stop me this time?" And I do. It's hard, because I cannot lift him (herniated disc in my back). I firmly tell him, "leave it," which is what DH and I say when we want him to not touch something. Then I try to make something else really enticing, "Let's find your socks, DS! Where are your socks? Your feet are bare. Just look at your little toes!..."

I also say, "Thank you," when he does something I want him to do.
Megs Mom's Avatar Megs Mom 06:55 PM 12-19-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaxMamma View Post
as far as sugar and my youngest, it also has to do w/how much protein he gets along w/the sugar.
Great resource: Little Sugar Addicts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by umsami View Post
How do you Mamas deal with talking back?
"Try again." Said matter-of-factly, repeatedly if necessary, preventing child from doing anything like playing or eating until she complies.
1  2  3

Up