Workshop#14 Toys and Family Values - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 45 Old 03-22-2010, 05:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OK don't laugh. what are play silks? I honestly don't know but I see them mentioned a lot

AP~EBF~CD~nocirc~Babywearing~delayed vaxing~natural birthin' Wannabewith PCOS,Not a mommy yet
aspiring doula(oh,I have a severe case of yurtlust!)
#32 of 45 Old 03-24-2010, 06:40 AM

You can check them (playsilks) out here:

http://www.blueberryforest.com/play_...play_silks.htm

Really, they're just silk scarves, often hand dyed. I buy mine wholesale and hand dye them.
#33 of 45 Old 07-21-2010, 05:15 PM

Hi I'm new to this threading thing so if someone can please message me or tell me how to post a thread it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

15 yo...in love with my bf although I'm always blushing around him. I can't help but smile or laugh when he's around. On top of it all we are a happy
#34 of 45 Old 07-22-2010, 03:40 AM

Hai everybody, i am a new member to forums, so i am intereseted
and want to gain knowledge on this topics..........................thank u
#35 of 45 Old 08-04-2010, 03:17 PM

hey seim.ge can you tell me where you have found wholesale silks?

oh, and also what do you use to dye them?

thanks!
#36 of 45 Old 08-28-2010, 01:15 PM

They are plastic, but my kids(and every other kid who comes over to play) favorite toys are these toy dinosaurs that were my husbands when he was a kid. They are big ones, most are 8 or 9 inches long. They play with those and other plastic animals all the time. The are great for outside because they don't rot.
My girls(6 and 4) also like dress ups, the electric piano, and of course art. Card board boxes are also always a hit.

As far as birthday parties go, last year for my 6yo dd, I set up a nature scavenger hunt at the park for her birthday. The kids worked together to find everything on the list. The list had pictures so non-readers could help. They all loved it, and I liked that it was not competitive, but cooperative.
#37 of 45 Old 09-21-2010, 01:38 PM

Hi! I'm semi-new, mostly a lurker because I don't typically have much to say.

We just moved, but before we did we had a rotation for our toys. We had three boxes that we'd change out every week. It worked great, when we had a place to store the two boxes that weren't in use. Right now we don't have any place to store anything so DS has most of his toys out right now.
I am constantly purging. DH's parents buy DS new toys every time they see him, so despite our personal goal towards simplicity, we are bombarded by (plastic) toys. I just get rid of toys that DS doesn't seem interested in anymore (they are donated to Goodwill or to my sister who has a DD younger than DS). Battery operated toys typically get given away sooner because they tend to be annoying (in our experience).
Right now DS has his board books on a shelf and in a basket by a child sized chair, a train table with cars and a small train set (he's getting a new one for Christmas!), a Craftsman child sized workbench (from DH's parents, DS loves it), a table and art supplies, a dress up box (filled with hats, halloween costumes, and shoes), a rocking horse, and then a small 3 shelf shelving unit for his other toys (wooden blocks, legos, finger puppets, playsilks, wooden puzzles). They stay pretty organized.
His books with paper pages are currently in our bedroom on our bookshelf. They're used as bedtime stories until DS learns how to read a book without tearing it apart just to hear the paper rip lol. He also has kitchen toys but those are on a shelf near the kitchen so he can "cook" while I'm cooking.
We're also living with my parents right now so he has "Grandma's house" toys to play with as well.

DS is 2.
#38 of 45 Old 09-29-2010, 12:39 AM

My kids are now 5 and 7 one girl, one boy. One toy they both loved ALOT like, until it fell apart was a wooden van toy for a doll house from Voila toys. I wish I could afford the big wood vans/ trucks.. not cars.. something they could put toys in and scoot around.. they both just loved that. We have made alot of toys together and I have made many for them, though they don't seem to love the wood toys as much as I do.
Our wood treehouse doll house has gotten alot of play too.
My kids weren't as in to the wood kitchen.
Bikes and scooters are also favorites they enjoy.
It is much harder as my son gets older to get him to love more peaceful toys. All the boys want are "cool" stuff, they love monsters and action figures and such... I do need to try to make more action/robot type themed toys, maybe he will like those.

Saamy Student mama to  superhero.gifand hearts.gifand babyf.gif

#39 of 45 Old 10-01-2010, 12:41 PM

Yes, Holiday is fast approaching. Workshop like this shouldn't be missed.
#40 of 45 Old 08-02-2011, 12:02 AM

My baby girl always liked her doll and a small kitchen set, she always told me dad what you want to eat I'll bake it. its very cute..thanks

#41 of 45 Old 08-09-2011, 09:27 AM

My DD is now five, but when she was two I asked her grandparents to get her an easel (the kind with chalkboard on one side and dry erase on the other and a contraption for hanging rolls of paper).  It was the single best thing they could have ever gotten.  That kid has used it so much.  It stands right in our living room (we live in an apartment) and she'll spend hours sitting there doodling, painting, etc.). 

The second best thing (and this qualifies as furniture rather than toy) was a small table and chairs.  She has used that for four years now, every day, for tea parties, drawing, playdoh, etc.  (I also asked her grandparents to purchase that, as they insisted that they don't have any ideas for toys or what she needs, which is fine with me).

Other hits are her puppets, a hair styling head, legos and tinkertoys. 

"Lawyers, I suppose, were children once." Charles Lamb.
#42 of 45 Old 08-24-2011, 04:40 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

I finally asked my family to cut back on the quantity this year.  I explained my reasons (wanting to emphasize family and appreciating what we have instead of the cheap thrill of getting more).  They seemed to really understand and I'm hopeful Christmas will be better this year.  Still my kids have way too much junk toys.  This year on St. Nicholas Day (Dec. 6) we're going to gather up toys we don't use and give them away.  We're already talking about it with my oldest, and she seems pretty into it.  I think that will both emphasize giving instead of getting, and clear out space before we get more stuff.  I'm also really pushing consumable gifts for my kids this year.

Mama to two little ones,

& one in heaven

#43 of 45 Old 09-13-2011, 06:58 AM

I love your idea of giving rather than getting. I have been trying to do the same thing with my two steo children, but it hasn't been easy. How did you get them to "get into it"? Their grandparents (on dads side) just give them anything & everything they ask for, but it seems to be becoming a problem. If I tell them they cant have someting (whether its now or later) they have flat out replied" fine, I'll just ask my grandma & she'll get it for me"...and they do, and they get. I cant seem to get it through to the grandparent what this is teaching them...what to do, what to do? Any suggestions? Thanks, wannabamommy 

#44 of 45 Old 09-20-2011, 03:46 PM

lurk.gif

I am very interested in this workshop! 

I have just recently learned about Waldorf education and have requested Simplicity Parenting from my local library (haven't been able to read it yet).

I really want to consider the "simple" approach with DS and with my family in general.  I was not raised this way but since having DS I've found myself drawn to more natural living generally and to a gentle, hands-on approach as a parent.  I feel a little bit unsure (and lost) as to how to get started and could use some guidance (not only in the toy department, but in general).  If anyone has any resources they would like to suggest, it would be helpful!

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

#45 of 45 Old 10-04-2011, 09:25 AM

I am loving this discussion, as I'm trying to find simpler toys for my kids and want to bring them back to basics.  I'm tired of all the loud, flashy toys and want to buy USA made.  They have birthdays in Nov. and the holidays in December, so I'd love to find ideas.

Tags
Toys , Specialty Board Games , Somebody Board Game

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page