Workshop #4 - Baby’s Early Years; Vaccination - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-22-2008, 09:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnsunshinemama View Post
Especially considering he has a 5 month old sister, goes to a small (6 kids) daycare 2 X week and there is a lot of whooping cough in our county?
Be aware that the pertussis (WC) vaccine does NOT prevent transmission.

-Angela
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2008, 10:32 PM

I am a speech pathologist and worked with autistic children all throughout grad school, so I was exposed to the autism/vaccine theories from these kids' parents early on. This made me wary when my daughter was born in January of 07. She was dx'd with a congenital heart defect (mild pulmonary stenosis), at her 2 week checkup and it sent me into a horrific, anxiety ridden state. It was like I didn't have the energy to question her shots although I didn't ever feel "right" about them. After her 6 month appointment she ran a high fever and cried on and off for 48 hours, when her occipital lymph nodes became hugely swollen I freaked out and called the hospital. They told me it was a reaction to the vaccinations and that I should take her to the doctor. The next day doc told me that "it was probably the DTaP and it will be worse next time, but at least she will be 18 mos and can tell you she doesn't feel well". She also told me the huge nodes were always from trauma to the scalp, and "did she have a scratch that you weren't aware of"? Guess who won't be getting her booster next week. I am going to seek a medical exemption but am pretty sure that won't happen given doc's previous thoughts on the subject. She wasn't too pushy when we refused the MMR and CP shots, just had us sign the waiver, so I guess we'll see. Everyday I question myself, but know that I cannot stand there while they vaccinate her and then wait for what "worse" will be. My daughter is supposed to start a private Montessori this Fall and I wonder if they will even take her once they get the medical forms. It is sad, I don't trust the FDA or the CDC or the drug companies. It is hard to be a parent today. I am even questioning having another child.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyM View Post
I am a speech pathologist and worked with autistic children all throughout grad school, so I was exposed to the autism/vaccine theories from these kids' parents early on. This made me wary when my daughter was born in January of 07. She was dx'd with a congenital heart defect (mild pulmonary stenosis), at her 2 week checkup and it sent me into a horrific, anxiety ridden state. It was like I didn't have the energy to question her shots although I didn't ever feel "right" about them. After her 6 month appointment she ran a high fever and cried on and off for 48 hours, when her occipital lymph nodes became hugely swollen I freaked out and called the hospital. They told me it was a reaction to the vaccinations and that I should take her to the doctor. The next day doc told me that "it was probably the DTaP and it will be worse next time, but at least she will be 18 mos and can tell you she doesn't feel well". She also told me the huge nodes were always from trauma to the scalp, and "did she have a scratch that you weren't aware of"? Guess who won't be getting her booster next week. I am going to seek a medical exemption but am pretty sure that won't happen given doc's previous thoughts on the subject. She wasn't too pushy when we refused the MMR and CP shots, just had us sign the waiver, so I guess we'll see. Everyday I question myself, but know that I cannot stand there while they vaccinate her and then wait for what "worse" will be. My daughter is supposed to start a private Montessori in this Fall and I wonder if they will even take her once they get the medical forms. It is sad, I don't trust the FDA or the CDC or the drug companies. It is hard to be parent today. I am even questioning having another child.

Thank you for sharing this. This is exactly the sort of story that scares me most-- it seems to me that a good doctor in this situation-- even if she believed whole-heartedly in vaccinating-- would say, "Well, let's be glad that she has some immunity which will hopefully get her through 12 mos without pertussis, and now we know that she shouldn't get the Dtap again." Yes-- it really is sad.

Aspiring to 1 Thessalonians 4:11.Wife to Dh, 2004. Mother to DD 3/07.
So thankful for our healthy baby boy, born Easter morning, 2010!
Old 07-23-2008, 01:10 PM

I'm so glad that I am not the only one who feels overwhelmed by the vaccination issue. Glad that this workshop is here... the vaccines forum can be really intimidating!!!

We haven't vaccinated our 20 month old son at all. We're open to it, we were especially open to it in the case of whooping cough through his first winter, but not 'open' enough to seek out a health care provider that would offer it as a single vaccine rather than through the '5-in-1' that's offered here in the UK. Now that he's out of the 'danger zone' for whooping cough, I feel much less compelled to a) do any more research or b) actually go out and find the vaccines.

We now know that we're going to be moving back to the US in 2-3 years, so DS will start school there. Who knows what state. I don't want to get backed into a corner over the vaccines and end up having to give him 15 shots in one summer so that he can go to school. (Vaccines aren't required for school entry here.) Which makes me think we should start working on a delayed schedule for him, but the idea of injecting aluminum and formaldehyde into my baby makes my hair stand on end.

On a side note, my son had chicken pox a few months ago (aged 17 months). He caught it from *his father* !!! If anyone is wondering whether to expose their babe to CP, I say go for it. Having watched two cases one right after the other, I would much prefer to nurse a toddler through CP than an adult.

Expat mama to my 7-year-old Halloween boy and my cheeky preschooler, who came before the midwife in January 2010... Gestating a new bean, debuting spring 2014!
Old 07-23-2008, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunchyMamaToBe View Post
We haven't vaccinated our 20 month old son at all. We're open to it, we were especially open to it in the case of whooping cough through his first winter, but not 'open' enough to seek out a health care provider that would offer it as a single vaccine rather than through the '5-in-1' that's offered here in the UK. Now that he's out of the 'danger zone' for whooping cough, I feel much less compelled to a) do any more research or b) actually go out and find the vaccines.
Two bits of info- 1. the pertussis (WC) vaccine is not available solo. The smallest combo it's available as is DTaP.

2. Winter actually isn't pertussis season. Late summer/early fall is.

-Angela
Old 07-23-2008, 01:27 PM

Quote:
but not 'open' enough to seek out a health care provider that would offer it as a single vaccine rather than through the '5-in-1' that's offered here in the UK.
The aP part is not available as a single vaccine anywhere AFAK.

Quote:
We now know that we're going to be moving back to the US in 2-3 years, so DS will start school there. Who knows what state. I don't want to get backed into a corner over the vaccines and end up having to give him 15 shots in one summer so that he can go to school. (Vaccines aren't required for school entry here.) Which makes me think we should start working on a delayed schedule for him, but the idea of injecting aluminum and formaldehyde into my baby makes my hair stand on end.
Every state in the US with the exception of Mississippi and West Virginia offer a religious exemption some also offer a philosophical one. You don't HAVE to vaccinate for school entry in the US.

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif
Old 07-23-2008, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Writerbird View Post
However, I went ahead and authorized it at his two month visit - the reason is is that the CDC reports that 30% of the people with Hep B acquired it in childhood.
Where did you get that number? I'm just curious. The Pink Book states that 4% of acute infections occur in the perinatal period, 4% in childhood and 8% in adolescence.

intactivist.gif  ribbonpb.gif RN student, bellycast.gif birth doula since 2006
Old 07-23-2008, 10:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'll add some more to my last post....

In 1991 VAERS (vaccine adverse effect reporting system) was set up by the FDA and CDC. There was no record keeping agency in the US prior to that where physicians could report vaccine reactions. In 1986 The National Childhood Vaccine Injury Act law was signed y Reagan that let drug companies off the hook when children died form side effects by decreeing, no vaccine manufacturer shall be liable in a civil action for damages or death from vaccines.
VAERS is an offshoot of that act.

33,000 reactions were reported between 1992 and 1996. Before then no one knows because there was no reporting agency.

Everyone was saying how safe vaccines were, but how would they know if no one was keeping track of the reactions? The majority of doctors simply don't report adverse reactions to vaccines. The FDA estimates that doctors only report 10% of adverse reactions. So, at only 10%, thats over 330,000 actual reactions in a five year period. ONly 2% of doctors admit that they report reactions, because they think that if they report a true adverse reaction it will contribute to a lack of public confidence in vaccination, therefore decreasing their paychecks! It is entirely possible that only 1% gets reported to VAERS.

So the FDA estimates only 11,000 serious reactions a year, thats involving either death or hospitalization. If this is only 10% then thats 110,000 reactions per year. If the true figure is really 1% of actual reactions, which possible because no one has ever kept tracked, that means that there could be 1.1 million serious adverse reactions per year involving death, permanent injury or hospitalization . Such epidemic could actually be in place in the US now and no one is even studying it!

There is also no follow up done by the CDC and FDA with all these reports of death and neurological damage to infants, follow up wasn't part of the original design.

Also according to VAERS rules, reporting has to be done within 7 days of the vaccine. SO if your infant dies 8 days later, that is not counted as a reaction to vaccines. By 1999, 5385 petitions for damages had been filed with VAERS. Because of the legal obstacles and paperwork involves only about 1300 have ever collected. Even so the total amount recovered for vaccine damages is 1.24 billion. This money comes not from the vaccines companies but from government funds i.e, the taxpayers.

So to lay this out:

~It is something like 40 vaccines are mandated by law in the US for kids under 6 years.

~No one knows how many thousands have died or suffered, since there was no reporting agency until 1991.

~The drug companies are immune from prosecution by federal law.

~ Even though a reporting agency is in place, less that 10% of actual ill effects are reported.

~The reporting system didn't include follow-ups of the reported cases.

~Compensation for the reactions is borne by the taxpayers.

Happily married and unschooling 5 kiddos. Oct. 2004, July, 2007, July, 2009, Oct. 2010, Nov. 2012 
Old 07-24-2008, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchfork View Post
My question is this:
Have any of you with unvaxed DCs actually had their child get a scary disease? Did it change how you felt about vaxing?
<snip>
With vax, I have to accept the possibilty, however remote, of my child getting a serious illness. Having already watched my child almost die, I get it that healthy living does not prevent serious medical issues. Just like so many choices in parenthood, the responsibility is heavy...
: every choice we make has such potentially far-reaching implications!! but if we sweat too much we'll just be beating ourselves up all the time (ask me how I know ). we may have been exposed to pertussis when ds was... maybe 3? 2 friends, both nonvaxers, got it. ds did not, although I should add that it was one playdate and they were not showing signs yet. I don't think either mom changed their minds about not vaxing. I've lost touch with one of the moms, but the other is still a dear friend and it was really amazing and beautiful to me to watch her go through her firstborn having pertussis and not ever panicking! she even managed to avoid antibiotics (pertussis is a bacterial infection, so antibiotics can potentially be effective against it) and synthetic otc treatments. he had the lingering cough for months, and she told me that it got kinda bad a few times but never severe, and on they went. that's as close as we've come so far.

my non-vaxing path went like this: I read before ds was born about these risks, and the diseases. I am a bit too suspicious of profit-driven "medicine" and so was inclined against it anyways (plus I guess I kinda like being a rebel ). I read an older edition of Mendelssohn's book-- How to Raise a Healthy Child in Spite of Your Doctor. it sounded to me like the diseases, with the exceptions of polio and pertussis, were almost never severe (certainly not in this modern world with the resources we have available). and, I read that half of new pertussis cases are in vaxed individuals, so I thought that made the risk there not worth it. with ds we did do the first 2 polio shots because I was just too scared of polio, but we didn't do any others. with him we had a great ped who told me vaccines were basically "just a social contract" and who couldn't care less if I did any of them. since moving we have an OK family dr, but she is pro-vax and has even pressured me about it with dd who just turned one. however, she backed off when I calmly said no to her "aren't you worried about--??" comments. it's not that I'm not worried, it's just that so many other things are so much more likely to happen, kwim? anyway, with dd we have done no shots. when she is older, like preteen or teen, we'll talk about rubella and pregnancy risks and research that at that time. and, if we ever do any international travel I'll have to reevaluate depending on where we're going, I guess.

I think the only thing that would be a reason for me to have a different approach would be if I knew my child was immunocompromised in some way, or had some congenital defect such that getting through a challenging illness would be unusually difficult. then I'd probably think I should use the vaccines to protect my child. we have religious exemption here in GA, so if they ever go to school it's not much of an issue (unless you count the issue of having to call it a religious reason, but that's not a battle for me to take on!). as it stands they are/will be homeschooled and I don't see that changing anytime soon

Julia, treehugger.gifintactlact.gif homebirth.jpg  mom to jumpers.gif blogging.jpg lefthandedinarighthandworld.wordpress.com

Old 07-24-2008, 11:15 AM

DS was born in the US and I declined the HepB fully thinking I would come back to my husband's country (British Virgin Islands) and go with their schedule which doesn't start vaxes until 2months of age.

At 2months old I took him for his checkup and they wanted to do Dtap (Except here it is a 5-in-1 including HepB) They only had 3 of the 5 (they put them into one syringe needle thing and do them all at once. DS just got a clight fever after which I kept down by walking outside with him in the moby wrap on a cooler evening and kept wiping his head with a wet wash cloth I had brought with me. By the next day he was fine.

Then I started researching vaccines (I had spent my time pg researching BFing as I knew I would have little to no support here and then I had a cesarean and had complications from that so research on the vax was delayed) and someone pointed me to a website that listed the vax ingredients. Besides having a problem with heavy metals (which pg women are told to avoid throughout pg and then their baby comes into the world and they encouraged to inject heavy metals into their child?!?!) I have a problem with the animal tissue and the aborted fetal matter.

Having a vegan diet and constantly striving for the path of non-violence I do not support kiling animals for food or for science expeirments (I am however a organ/body donor for when I die). Also I wonder if the women that came to the difficult decision to have an abortion would have consented to their fetus's tissue being injected into other people's chidren? My gut tells me they wouldn't have agreed to that and it sounds like some kind of frankenstein science to me.

My DH was already leary of the vaccines before doing our research so he was easy to convince when I decided I didn't want them. I continue to share the info with him in case he ever needs to present an argument or just wants to inform someone. Besides him I tell my Mom, a baby boomer who wants the best for me and her only grandchild no matter what so she was nervous about it (also grew up during the height of vax propaganda) but reads all the info i send her about vaxing and I am about to send her a book list from this thread for her to check out from her library in Asheville, NC (a crunchy town indeed). I know that she will go get them out, read them and report back to me- she is all around wonderful like that and the biggest blessing in my life- her love is a self-less and unconditional love and because of her I know how to be a human being and a Mom.

This is getting long... I am in the BVI where vaxes are not yet being questioned. God put me on the path to meet the one person who has decided to take a stand against having to vax. She is a young empress (rasta woman) and has researched and written her own exemption letter which is currently circulating through the ministries (govt departments). She is leading the way and I am right behind her, not because i think that everyone should stop vaxing but because I believe it should be a choice and that it is our right as parents to decide what we inject into our children.

I do not plan on telling DH's family who generally have strong opinions about things without little or no research, just go with whatever they are feeling at the moment. They have been a source of stress but also a catalyst for growth as far as my ability to remain graceful in any circumstance. It is my goal to be very well-spoken about the diseases and vaxes (history of them as well as current ingredients, etc) and natural immunity before they know so that I can present them with these facts. They will undoubtedly still have their strong opinions on what a crazy white girl I am but I don't think the reaction will be as strong as if I just said we don't 'feel' like it's the right decision for us.

I am curious about this post "I agree with the pp that the fear mongoring and $$ on both sides of the issue really gets in the way and in the end it is kids who suffer. This is maddening to me." What monetary gain is on the side of non-vaxing? just curious if there is another aspect of this I am not thinking of because I can't think of any gain for those not vaxing. $$$ on the side of vaxin for the industry but not on the other side, right?
Old 07-24-2008, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RasJi7 View Post
At 2months old I took him for his checkup and they wanted to do Dtap (Except here it is a 5-in-1 including HepB) They only had 3 of the 5 (they put them into one syringe needle thing and do them all at once.
A couple of things on this... If your 5-in-1 is the same as ours, it's DTaP plus Hib, not Hep B. Not that that makes me any more comfortable giving it to my kid.

And, can I clarify, the 5-in-1 wasn't really a 5-in-1 when your DS had it? They had to physically do the mixing of the different components there?

Expat mama to my 7-year-old Halloween boy and my cheeky preschooler, who came before the midwife in January 2010... Gestating a new bean, debuting spring 2014!
Old 07-24-2008, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calendula View Post
I moved from a state with a philosophical exemption to NY state which only has religious exemption (I believe). Does anyone have direct experience with the religious exemption. I mean what can you claim to be? If anything, I'd say I'm buddhist, but I don't have tons of religious knowledge to point to, to back up an exemption claim. So now I am due with #2 baby I don't know what to do about VAX.

With my 1st child we did partial and delayed vax. It worked out really well but waivers were easy to come by where we used to live.

Now I'm in a different state I just don't know what to do. I have heard its really hard to get a waiver here in NY.
I live in NY and I researched this when I was pg. You don't have to be a member of a specific religion. It was my understanding that you had to write up why your personal faith beliefs prohibited you and your family from vaxing. And if that is too hard or complicated, there is always christian scientists and you could say you are one of those (if it doesn't bother you to just claim stuff like that. I don't mean to offend anyone but if I had to pretend to be a member of a specific religion to get this exemption I would.)

Mamma to dd1 3/8/07, one 9.5.08, and dd2 9/9/09
Old 07-24-2008, 01:40 PM

sorry duplicate post- slow connection
Old 07-24-2008, 01:43 PM

Quote:
A couple of things on this... If your 5-in-1 is the same as ours, it's DTaP plus Hib, not Hep B. Not that that makes me any more comfortable giving it to my kid.

And, can I clarify, the 5-in-1 wasn't really a 5-in-1 when your DS had it? They had to physically do the mixing of the different components there?
Thanks for the info on the 5-in-1, and yes she physically put the needle in each container and sucked them one by one into the needle.
I just checked the sheet they had given me with the shots and this is what they wrote down, "DPT/DT, Hep B, Hib" and the next time they wanted him to get all that PLUS oral polio. not sure which one she was out of but she said it was supposed to have something else as well.
Old 07-24-2008, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
In most cases, you can't *technically* vax like that and have kids in daycares/schools. The way around it is to get a religious exemption and not tell them about any further vaxes.

-Angela
I was researching a the school laws/requirements for vax in my state and came up with this site: http://www.mercola.com/article/vacci...void_shots.htm

I haven 't needed to put any of it's advice into effect yet as my daughter is not school age yet, but I liked some of this site's suggestions. It might be helpful if anyone does have to argue the issue with a school board and isn't comfortable using a religious reason.

Mama to Ahnna-Bella (Dec 05) dust.gif, Harrison (Oct 08) kid.gif, and Kellan Wilder (Jan '12) baby.gif

Old 07-24-2008, 05:35 PM

I haven't read any of these but thanks for the start- I'm a librarian and there are NO books on Vaccination in my library and I am looking for good titles to explore and add to the collection for all the parents in my community!

Mama to Ahnna-Bella (Dec 05) dust.gif, Harrison (Oct 08) kid.gif, and Kellan Wilder (Jan '12) baby.gif

Old 07-24-2008, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwyn View Post
There's a whole Selective/Delayed forum here. And here's a thread with people sharing their S/D schedule.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
Be aware that the pertussis (WC) vaccine does NOT prevent transmission.

-Angela
Thanks!

Happy, busy mama of 2 - A (9/05) and W (2/08)
Acupuncturist to pregnant and post partum mamas!
Old 07-26-2008, 05:11 PM

I am a mother to a wonderful 1 yo baby girl. She has never been vaccinated. Initially, it was a difficult decision to make. But, once I learned about how rare the serious diseases were, measured against the vax risks, I decided not to vax. I am always open to new information and might reevaluate in the future. But for now, I firmly believe vaccinations are too dangerous for my precious girl.

I don't feel any pressure to vax. I was surprised to read how much fear has been thrust upon so many of you great parents who are actively trying to make the best decisions for your children. Perhaps because I am an attorney, doctors and other folks don't try to bully me so much.
Old 07-26-2008, 06:57 PM

The decision on vaxes is still a complex one for me. I am a nurse and did not even question the vaxes initially. Ds got his 2mo and 4mo shots and at around 4 months I was researching cloth diapers and must have stumbled onto some info on vaccinations. What I read frightened me. I decided to delay until 2 years of age. Then I read the Dr. Sears book and Romm's and decided there would be no more shots for now. None of the diseases worried me as much as the vaxes did.

I am now due with my second and will revisit this issue because ds had 2 rounds and was partially immune I didn't really worry about him as an infant. I will probably choose to get him another tetanus booster when he is older and Hep B at a later age. Because I am a health care worker I do believe in the Hep B vaccine. If for some reason I was not able to breastfeed I think I would have made different decisions. I have not had to defend myself to our dr. yet and we never have reason to go. I want a little more research in my hand before I have to do this.

My mother does not agree but she really hasn't done the research so I will not have the conversation with her unless she does. My mil is very open to these things and I have had many a conversation with her. My biggest deterrent from vaccination is that there is a strong history of seizures on dh's side of the family and if there is any way to avoid that I will.

Proud Mama to DS 04/23/06reading.gif DD 02/18/09 modifiedartist.gif, 2 dog2.gif, and wife to wonderfuldh_malesling.GIF and adding another baby.gif. Here's my blog: http://nessabean.blogspot.ca/
Old 07-26-2008, 08:54 PM

Wow, this is so great! I've not posted for a while, but here goes...

My son has his first round and I didn't like it at all. Like others have said, it was a gut reaction. And I trust my gut. I think it's very cool that many of us here can take a gut feeling alone as powerful foundation for these important decisions.

We went back and forth, and finally (!) at the last dr visit BOTH my husband and our ped (who pushed hard all the earlier months) - BOTH (!!) were ok with absolutely NO vaccines.

My gut feels good. We'll take it as it comes, and at little P's 18 month visit we'll see. Until then, he's doing great and I'm happy.

K: wife to S in love with our little P (3/07) :
Old 07-28-2008, 12:55 AM

Hi everyone! DH is an acupuncturist and was adamant before DS was born that we would not vax, at least for the first 2 years. He was also very firm about not circ'ing. It was the first I'd heard of either option, really, and as I did my own research I completely understood DH's position on both issues. Then I found Mothering and MDC which made me feel even more strongly that we'd made the right decision.

DS turned 5 in May and has never had a shot. Our parents -- and just about everyone else -- thought we were completely out of our minds for not vaxing, but as the years have passed and they've learned about it on their own, they actually say now that we did the right thing.

DS is an extremely healthy child. Before he started preschool last fall, we could count on one hand the amount of times he'd been sick since birth. He's never been to the doctor for an illness, never had to take antibiotics. He also still nurses (about 30 seconds per side before sleeping and upon waking). At his 5-year check-up, I sheepishly admitted to this, and the ped said, "Oh, I'll bet you catch a lot of flack for that. But don't pay any attention. Look at this kid's chart -- there's no paper here. This is a very healthy child, and that's because you didn't interfere with his immune system and continue to allow him access to all the wonderful things in your breastmilk."

By this time, I certainly don't need outside validation to know we've made the right choices -- but it sure doesn't hurt to hear it once in a while.

We expect our daughter to arrive in October, and have no plans to vax her, either.

Daughter since '68 ~Sister since '72 ~Wife since '97 ~ Mama since DS 5/03& DD 10/08
Old 07-28-2008, 01:34 AM

I will be traveling with my 10 month daughter to Costa Rica for over four months. She has had no vaccinations, But I am worried that traveling to this third world country will be dangerous. My husband and I have traveled there many times for extended stays as well, his parents live there, and own a small quaint resort, we have never gotten sick or anything when we traveled, but we were both fully immunized as children. Our peditrican is entirely against our decision to not vaccinate, an issue we have been struggling with since our first vistit, and suggested we vaccinate her for everything and then some! Any suggestions??
Old 07-28-2008, 10:49 AM

Old 07-28-2008, 01:16 PM

What about 'herd immunity?'

This idea that when you don't vaccinate your child, you are relying on the majority of the population getting vaccinated to keep your unvaxed child from getting sick?

Is there anything to this?

We have heard "So you're relying on herd immunity, then?" a few times from doctors...

Old 07-28-2008, 02:22 PM

Quote:
What about 'herd immunity?'

This idea that when you don't vaccinate your child, you are relying on the majority of the population getting vaccinated to keep your unvaxed child from getting sick?

Is there anything to this?

We have heard "So you're relying on herd immunity, then?" a few times from doctors...
Depends totally on which vax we're talking about.

You CAN get an element of herd immunity from the MMR.

On the other hand, the pertussis vax does not prevent transmission, so no herd immunity there.

-Angela
Old 07-28-2008, 03:52 PM

I agree. It really depends on what vaccine you're talking about & how you're defining herd immunity. But I don't know that I'd go so far as to say that people who don't vax are relying on herd immunity. In fact, there are a lot of people who actually seek exposure to certain illnesses rather that trying to avoid them.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...play.php?f=242
Old 07-28-2008, 10:21 PM

We just got back from my daughter's 18 month appointment. We refused the 4th DTaP due to the reactions that I posted about previously. I explained my position to the doctor and she actually didn't argue, just got out her trusty waiver. I was so relieved. She also signed the medical release for Montessori. They also told me she would never get the 4th Hib because of the recall. She acted like it was no big deal for her to miss it, although I would have done that shot if they had it. The nurse said "pertussis is actually more serious." Ummm, more serious than epiglottitis and meningitis? I don't understand why it is OK to miss shots because they aren't available but not OK to refuse them. Does anyone know how much immunity my daughter may have from her first three DTaPs? As I understand it boosters may not be necessary for all children and a strong reaction at 6 mos may signal sufficient immunity.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:09 PM

Re: herd immunity- so for which vaccines would this apply? Just thinking through them quickly- you say pertussis doesn't prevent transmission, measles I'm not that concerned about, he's had chicken pox, tetanus wouldn't apply, not concerned about hep A and B for a baby and in our situation, wouldn't do rotavirus or flu anyway, so what's left to be protected from by the 'herd'?

mumps, polio, and rubella? HIB? And those aren't always deadly and to be avoided at all costs, right?

Just trying to keep it all straight in my mind, and have answers if someone brings up the herd immunity argument. Sorry if those sound like ignorant questions!
Old 07-29-2008, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awaken View Post

mumps, polio, and rubella? HIB? And those aren't always deadly and to be avoided at all costs, right?

There has been a mumps "outbreak" among the college aged population here, and no one has been hospitalized, never mind died! It used to be one of those things that everyone got. (I remember an episode of "Who's the Boss" mentioning it.) The IPV does not prevent transmission anyway, and Rubella is a very mild illness unless you are an unborn baby. (It's only dangerous to pregnant women.)

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

Old 07-29-2008, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awaken View Post
Re: herd immunity- so for which vaccines would this apply? Just thinking through them quickly- you say pertussis doesn't prevent transmission, measles I'm not that concerned about, he's had chicken pox, tetanus wouldn't apply, not concerned about hep A and B for a baby and in our situation, wouldn't do rotavirus or flu anyway, so what's left to be protected from by the 'herd'?

Just trying to keep it all straight in my mind, and have answers if someone brings up the herd immunity argument. Sorry if those sound like ignorant questions!
The polio vax currently in use in the US does not prevent transmission.

Pre-vax nearly all children were immune to Hib (with no recorded "illness" attributed to it) by age 5.

-Angela

User Tag List