Workshop #4 - Baby’s Early Years; Vaccination - Page 6 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#151 of 158 Old 08-06-2008, 11:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia Mom View Post
I can't get over the guilt of vacs but we have such extenuating circumstances (DH travels extensively overseas to areas where stuff like Malaria is as common as breathing)........

What's a mom to do?
Is your dh vaxed? If so- then what are you concerned about him bringing home?

If not- why not vax him instead of the kids?

So much of what he might be exposed to (like malaria) doesn't have a vax available anyway.

-Angela
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#152 of 158 Old 08-07-2008, 12:40 AM

I haven't caught up with this thread and I do intend to but I had a couple of questions I wanted to bring up. Please forgive me if they've already been discussed (I do intend to catch up!)
DS is 8 mo and we have not vaxed.
Here are my questions:

1) Does anyone know if not vaxing has any impact on your child's health insurance? Can they refuse to cover things or something like that because we don't vax? If our coverage lapsed or something could not being vaxed make him ineligible for new insurance or anything like that?

2) We have an extensive history of autoimmune disease on my mother's side (RA, MS, juvenile diabetes, thyroid, asthma, possible lupus, etc etc). I have AI thyroid and raynaud's syndrome. This history of AI disease is one of the big fears for me regarding vaxing. I wondered if anyone here had a similar family history and what your thoughts are on vaxing in light of it.

I think DH is leaning towards a selective delayed schedule, where I'm wondering if we should vax at all (particularly because of the AI history)

and if we do vax, I'm not sure when I want to start. 2? 3? I'm reading several books right now re: vax.

thanks for any thoughts.
#153 of 158 Old 08-07-2008, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firsttimemama View Post
I haven't caught up with this thread and I do intend to but I had a couple of questions I wanted to bring up. Please forgive me if they've already been discussed (I do intend to catch up!)
DS is 8 mo and we have not vaxed.
Here are my questions:

1) Does anyone know if not vaxing has any impact on your child's health insurance? Can they refuse to cover things or something like that because we don't vax? If our coverage lapsed or something could not being vaxed make him ineligible for new insurance or anything like that?

2) We have an extensive history of autoimmune disease on my mother's side (RA, MS, juvenile diabetes, thyroid, asthma, possible lupus, etc etc). I have AI thyroid and raynaud's syndrome. This history of AI disease is one of the big fears for me regarding vaxing. I wondered if anyone here had a similar family history and what your thoughts are on vaxing in light of it.

I think DH is leaning towards a selective delayed schedule, where I'm wondering if we should vax at all (particularly because of the AI history)

and if we do vax, I'm not sure when I want to start. 2? 3? I'm reading several books right now re: vax.

thanks for any thoughts.

1. No- they can't use it against you (well, group insurance- ie through a company can't. Individual can refuse you or drop you for ANY reason)

2. I have read some research linking vaxing and AI issues. It's been too long to give you specific pointers though, sorry! I think the strongest links are with MS.

-Angela
#154 of 158 Old 08-07-2008, 04:34 AM

Earlier someone had talked about herd immunity, and it came up that with some vax's you still transmit the disease... Can someone clarify that for me? Are you saying that you could still be a carrier, not get sick, but transmit the illness to others?? I guess I'm wondering about the being a carrier part... thanks
#155 of 158 Old 08-07-2008, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaidymama View Post
Earlier someone had talked about herd immunity, and it came up that with some vax's you still transmit the disease... Can someone clarify that for me? Are you saying that you could still be a carrier, not get sick, but transmit the illness to others?? I guess I'm wondering about the being a carrier part... thanks
Yes. A great example is the pertussis vaccine. The vaccine is against the TOXIN created by the bacteria, not the bacteria itself. So you can be vaccinated and still catch and transmit the BACTERIA that causes pertussis.

Does that help?

-Angela
#156 of 158 Old 08-07-2008, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaidymama View Post
I was reading something to this effect in the hib & prevnar stickies in the vax forum. Basically the point was that even if the vax isn't the actual bacteria like Angela explains...that getting a vax can increase the chance of getting a different strain of bacteria for the disease that the vax doesn't cover. Thus, having the possibility of becoming infected with basically, the same disease one tried to vax for.
#157 of 158 Old 08-07-2008, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janasmama View Post
I was reading something to this effect in the hib & prevnar stickies in the vax forum. Basically the point was that even if the vax isn't the actual bacteria like Angela explains...that getting a vax can increase the chance of getting a different strain of bacteria for the disease that the vax doesn't cover. Thus, having the possibility of becoming infected with basically, the same disease one tried to vax for.
Prevnar and hib are a different story

they are actualy VERY effective at preventing the strains that they cover. Both infection and transmission. BUT nature abhors a vacuum. And when those specific strains of those specific bacteria are eliminated, other bacteria move in to fill the void.

-Angela
#158 of 158 Old 08-07-2008, 01:24 PM

right, I was also under the impression that certain vax's that use live bacteria/viruses can infect other people within a certain time frame of the vax being administered. (?)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page