Workshop #6 - Feeding the Family; First Foods, Healthy Eating for the Whole Family - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-19-2008, 10:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn C. View Post
I remember hearing somewhere (who knows where) that freezing homemade baby food destroys most of the nutrients in the food. That prepackaged baby food would be "better" in that regard.

Is there any validity to that? Or is it a line of hooey like so many I've been fed before?
I don't know if it's hooey necessarily! But my recollections tell me that frozen food retains more nutrients than canned or jarred food. And if you make purees with the veggies just steamed enough to puree you won't have cooked them so much that there is a significant loss of nutrients.

I do know that freezing breaks the cell walls of food - maybe that was the destruction you were recalling? It's why many food frozen in a home freezer have a funny texture after freezing - a home freezer takes too long to freeze. Packaged foods don't have that issue because they are flash frozen and thus suffer less cell wall damage.

Perhaps there is a more knowledgeable mama that has links?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2008, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mean_jeannie View Post
BTW, all the food I pureed I used breastmilk in the puree. I did feed him oatmeal when he was 6 mos and I used breastmilk for that too.

Geez, now I am missing breast feeding, !
Funny you say, this whole thread talking about making baby food etc is bringing back memories! And yes, I have been nostagic about bfing this week!

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
Old 09-21-2008, 02:12 PM

My DD will be seven months this week (!!!) and we're still only barely starting on solids. Like other moms here, I was nervous about it when she turned six months. DH had been really eager to "get to feed her too" , and I kept telling him we could feed her solids at six months, but then I just didn't feel ready. I still don't know why. When she was six months and one week, I finally gave in and gave her a little bit of mashed-up banana on my hand. She gagged on it, which is normal for self-feeding, but it was a little scary, and then she cried and was pretty upset about it. About a week later we gave her some avocado (again, just mashed up and let her self-feed), but she wasn't very interested. She's been grabbing at our plates for months, but I think it's more that she's interested in EVERYTHING we're doing than that she's interested in food per se.

Anyway, today she's a few days shy of seven months, and we gave her a little meal this morning of avocado and banana. I didn't mash it at all this time, just cut them into long pieces so she could hold part of it and put part of it in her mouth. And she LOVED it! She gagged a little once or twice but wasn't upset about it at all--just kept on eating. She really had fun with it and I felt so much better about it than I did the first time.

All that to say, I really think we as mamas should listen to our instincts about when to start foods. DD cut her first teeth a while ago and she's had all the "signs" of readiness since about five months, but somehow I just knew she wasn't quite ready. And this morning I just knew she was. I still probably won't give her food every day for a while--maybe a couple of times a week, whenever I get around to it. Too much work for me to cook for her every day!

(I am so impressed with you mamas who cook all your meals, by the way...I am working on moving in that direction but I HATE cooking...DH likes it but doesn't get home till 6:30 or 7 so it's not very practical for him to cook every night...and man, anyway, it's a lot of work. I don't know how you do it. And from scratch! I used to do that a lot more before DD was born when I wasn't working, but now...! Some days it's all I can do to get the diapers washed before we run out.)

Anyway, for those of you with six month olds, I do think that if you're nervous about it, there's probably a reason...wait till you feel right about it, and then start really slowly. So many people were telling me I *had* to start her on solids, but it's really not true.

(Although even my LLL leader looked at me funny when I asked if I could wait till she was over a year before starting solids...)

Mama to DD, my 2/24/08 BIG KID formerly known as sling baby, and DS, my 12/23/11 train-loving, wall-climbing toddler! 
Old 09-21-2008, 07:26 PM

[QUOTE=lisavark;12226251]

Anyway, for those of you with six month olds, I do think that if you're nervous about it, there's probably a reason...wait till you feel right about it, and then start really slowly. So many people were telling me I *had* to start her on solids, but it's really not true.

QUOTE]

You know, I've been thinking about my reluctance to start solids. And I've been thinking that it signals to me a beginning to the end of babyhood. We've just got started! It's already been a half a year?
Old 09-21-2008, 07:32 PM

We're another "self-feeding" family. With dd1 (now 3.5yo) and dd2 (now 15mo) we introduced a few solid foods that we (DH and I) were eating anyway and let the girls explore the taste/texture at their own pace. We followed their "readiness" cues (sitting on their own, pincer grip, head control, no tongue thrust, grabbing for/mouthing food) and as a result dd1 was noshing along with us when she was about 6mo but dd2 didn't really join in for more than a mouthful here and there till she was almost 11 months! The food was available, but she just wasn't that interested in eating it.

Although we avoided foods with the "big allergens" we didn't really do much more than that in terms of what we offered the girls. Both have preferences (dd1 adores veggies and anything "creamy" while dd2 is a spicy/hot food junkie who is really into chewy things), but it's been nice never having to worry about bringing "baby food" with us, and since both girls still nurse we didn't worry that their on and off solids weren't meeting their nutritional needs... solids could remain a fun exploration of the senses without any added stress or pressure. Or at least, that's how I justify what some of my friends call my "lazy mama" attitude.

School foods- I've actually run into the opposite problem! I live in a very natural living friendly region and dd1's play school has a very "restrictive" lunch policy. All kiddos bring their lunch, but due to allergies and general health concerns they've requested that those lunches avoid nuts, non-organic fruits or veggies, anything with added sugar (including homemade items that contain extra sugar, with the exception of homemade bread), dried fruits & juices that are naturally high in sugar, anything pre-packaged or heavily processed. And dd1 has sensitivities to wheat and corn. It's been a challenge to come up with healthy, balanced, fun, and interesting lunches! She often takes some leftovers from dinner, but it's still a challenge.

In general we deal with the high price of food by getting all out veggies and herbs through our CSA (which is local, organic, and biodynamic). We're drying and freezing a lot of the self-pick produce included in our CSA. Right now we're also picking a lot of apples at local organic orchards and drying them for the winter, but when we buy at the store we limit our organic "budget" to the dirty dozen and just try to buy local for anything else. We have a bread machine, rice cooker, and slow cooker and those have been a life saver for healthy/busy cooking. We make a few loaves of bread a week, I put whole oats in the slow cooker and let it go overnight so that we have hot oatmeal in the mornings, and the rice cooker... well, we eat a lot of brown rice so that's one of my favorite kitchen "gadgets". I know Alton Brown says no "single use items" in the kitchen but I looooooove my rice cooker!

Does anyone else enjoy making bento style lunches for their littles or the adults in the house who are "out and about" for lunch?

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

Old 09-22-2008, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janasmama View Post
I've always started with avocado as a first food. It's got a really creamy taste and lots of good healthy fats. Avocado is a fruit and some people like to start with veggies first so their children don't get that 'sweet' taste and only want sweet....but avo's aren't sweet.
We started with avocado too. I've always found not starting with fruit idea on the basis of it being sweet weird- isn't breastmilk sweet? I'd say my dd definitely has a sweet tooth now
Anyway, I wondering about recipes for homemade cereal- do you simply grind rice and add bm? When my dd is ready to start experimenting- she's only 4 months so we have awhile yet--can I simply give her some of our morning porridge? This is a great thread!

Laura WAHM to Mar 03/01/05 and Evie 05/14/08, partner to Craig
Old 09-23-2008, 02:05 PM

We generally let the girls play with whatever dh and I were eating (assuming no big allergens)... so a scoop of our morning oatmeal or rice porridge was (and still is) a pretty common breakfast for the girls. With dd1 I did cut the thicker oatmeal with breastmilk, but these days we make a thinner porridge and dd2 didn't have any problems with eating it "straight up". (I'm really fond of chewy porridge, but dh and dd1 like thinner stuff and at a certain point they "won" the battle )

I think the LLL site suggests meat as a first food? I know dd2 was really fond of chewing on little strips of meat early on. She didn't always swallow it, but she loved gumming it up into goo before spitting it out.

DD1 loved avocado straight from the skin but dd2 refused to eat it... until she tried guacamole. She still wont eat plain avocado (crazy child ) but add a little lemon or garlic and she eats it by the spoonful. I think the real key to low stress eating with kiddos is to just go with the flow and let them show you which foods they like! (within reason of course, but if all the options are "healthy" then there shouldn't be too much trouble)

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

Old 09-23-2008, 04:37 PM

i was eating a peach last week and holding DS and he lunged for it. typical, but unlike when he lunges for my sandwich or my glass of smoothie, or my sunglasses or hair, it was actually a ripe, squishy whole natural food i was eating... i let him lick the peach and you could see his little mind working - like, "WOW! what's THIS?"
Old 09-25-2008, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oyinmama View Post
i was eating a peach last week and holding DS and he lunged for it. typical, but unlike when he lunges for my sandwich or my glass of smoothie, or my sunglasses or hair, it was actually a ripe, squishy whole natural food i was eating... i let him lick the peach and you could see his little mind working - like, "WOW! what's THIS?"
I let my little guy taste some banana, he looked liked YUM!!!!

hola.gif
Old 09-26-2008, 01:19 AM

About first foods, for DD1 we did a multi grain cereal, but within the same week she also had some of my yogurt. She was (and still is) very into food from babyhood, maybe 4 months old watching us eat with that "gimme" look. I don't think we started anything until about 5 months, but her cues were very clear. For DD2 we'll see.
I wonder why DS loved a good tofu curry and avacado as a toddler, and now won't even touch either?

Regarding the food budget, ouch. I've started going to the cheaper grocery stores around here, and picked up a breadmaker at goodwill when the bread I'd buy went up to almost $4/loaf. Everyone is loving the homemade bread. I'm pretty much a from scratch person anyway, so that's not a big deal. Thankfully we don't rely on things like premade mixes (pancakes, cornbread, biscuits, brownies, etc.) I don't buy a lot of snacks, with the exception of Goldfish or Pretzels about once a month. We're doing at least 3 meat free dinners, versus one before. Our grocery stores are now carrying rBGH free milk, so I've started getting that instead of the organic milk I was getting. Eggs keep going up, but we have an egg man nearby where I can get fresh eggs for $2/doz. (Wish I could have chickens!) And today I bought a bushel of apples to make applesauce and some sliced freezer apples for pies. Peaches were $40/bushel so I really need to sit down and do the math to see if it's worth it to can some. Worth it financially, at least. I know it would be worth it for my personal satisfaction.
Looking at all of my paraben and SLS free soaps, oils, and lotions.....they may be the next to go if things keep on tanking. It's very frustrating.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:31 AM

First Foods
With DS I started with purees a few weeks after he turned 6 months: avacodo, banana, apple, pear, green beans, basically any produce that I could get my hands on. He really didn't start eating one "meal" a day until almost 8 months, 2 meals at 9 months and 3 meals at 13 months. It really took him until around 15 months to really be into solids, thanks goodness for mama milk!! Although I did notice that once he turned a year and I stopped making his food (my mom was complaining about the space I was taking in her freezer) he became a picky eater. DS is now 2.5 and it's a struggle to get him to eat anything at all. He went from loving everything but meat to not wanting anything but eggs, grits, yogurt and goldfish all day long.

Any tips for a picky eater???

Baby #2 is due to arrive any day now and I'm planning on doing baby-led weaning: cutting the food up in small pieces and letting baby feed themself. I'm hoping that now that I'm in my own place I can continue what I started with my son with the next baby.

Feeding the family
With my picky eating habits and DS's feeding the family is a challange. I'm still learning how to cook a lot of things. Just really learned how to bake meats this year and now I'm turning to veggies. We really only eat corn, collard greens and cabbage so I'm trying to cook more variety of veggies. I can make myself swallow the new stuff but DS just isn't interested. And with the price of everything going so hi I find it difficult to always get the healthier choices that I want for my family. I make due with organic diary, frozen or fresh produce and whole grain pastas.
Old 09-29-2008, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn C. View Post
So veggies is a common way to go, right?

oyinmama,

Would you mind sharing the reason behind waiting until 9 months?

My Littlest has been teething forever but has not actually cut teeth yet. But she's been practically lunging for our food for over a month! I feel like I'm starving her! (I know I'm not!)

I've given her utensils to play with and she was not amused. She wants the food.

My son was exactly like this so we gave him banana on his 6mo birthday and he hated it. He like the concept of eating but not teh actual practice of eating. Until 11 mo he would only eat a bite or two and then completely lose interest. Now he eats anything. Kids are funy sometimes!

Traveling mama to DS (2) my nature boy :
Old 10-03-2008, 04:10 PM

so cool we need to eat healthier taking notes and subbing

Mom to K(7)M(4)and baby J(2)cold.gifhh2.gif
:

Old 10-06-2008, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaEli View Post
Looking at all of my paraben and SLS free soaps, oils, and lotions.....they may be the next to go if things keep on tanking. It's very frustrating.
you had so many good food tips and money saving tips in your post - but i wanted to respond really quick to this - dr. bronner's liquid castille soap is available by the gallon and is a better deal that way than by the individual bottle - it can be diluted, and it lasts forever. also, i was raised using olive oil as a body moisturizer; it's amazing for your skin. you can get one of the 'light' versions if you don't want to walk around smelling like food... also it's less expensive than EVOO.

and all paraben free!!

on topic, LO will be 6 months on the 18th. since our peach experiment we have let him teethe on a whole fresh garden green pepper, but haven't done anything with actual food in his actual mouth. he just started sitting, so we're keeping stocked on the organic carrots.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oyinmama View Post
LO a peach was the first thing that I let my DD try also. She was around 7 months and it was like I gave her a spoonful of sugar, she loved it. Since then I mostly held off on solids until now. She finally cut her first tooth. Her favorite thing so far are apple slices, steamed yams, and sweet bell pepper slices (raw) she will not eat anything mushy. I'm kind of at a loss of what else to feed her.

User Tag List