Workshop #7 Natural Health Care - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 39 Old 11-08-2008, 04:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenOfTheMeadow View Post
Just a heads up about putting essntial oils in your bath. Do not, under any circumstances, pick up black pepper EO instead of what you thought was white grapefruit EO and put 4 or 5 drops of it in your bath.
Oh my goodness!
Bathtime just got a little more interesting :

~~~~~

Just wanted to post that there are many, many medicines growing right around us. Nature has a way of putting just what we need close by. A great example: In the Southern U.S. you'll find a weed called Yellowroot. It is an amazing ancient remedy for all kinds of coughs, colds- basically it is an immune builder remedy on par with Goldenseal root. So why oh why would we endanger Goldenseal when all the help we need is right there, free for the picking!?!?

You can find out more info on wildcrafting herbs if you sift thru the many resourceful pages at http://www.herbshealing.com/

Also, wanted to put in a plug for homeopathy, one of my dearest allies. With one 100+ remedy kit, you could treat an entire village for years. Now that is sustainability!

A great homeoapthy resource is http://abchomeopathy.com/

Grace Comes.

#32 of 39 Old 11-09-2008, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megs Mom View Post
Liza, can you recommend a place/way for an adult to affordably learn biofeedback? I'd like to use it for severe migraines.
I was pretty much intuitively self-taught (chronic pain & uncontrolled muscle movements from childhood...) As a teenager I learned what I was doing was biofeedback and was able to perfect my practice with the help of a mentor. I saw a psychitrist at a non-drug pain clinic once, but that was going to cost to much and I didn't like him. He hooked me up to a machine with a bunch of electrodes that measured brain activity and by skin temp and blood pressure while I did visualization exercises. It was neat to see that there was measurable changes in my body function, not just an improvement in how I feel. It might be worth finding a local doc or other provider to get you started, but I would honestly only pay for a few sessions unless they were very affordable.

Now, my "free" way of practice is using a skin temperature meter (its a strip that is different colors at different temps) and sometimes a blood pressure monitor. I pretty much use meditation and visualizations of relaxation and warmth. This usually warms my skin (capillaries open) and also drops my blood pressure. That should help with migraines.

I went through a recent dry-spell when pumping breastmilk (direct nursing was fine). I finally had a successful pump when I basically did the same thing, I visualized flowing milk and warmth. It was amazing and relieving in soooo many ways.

Feel free to PM if you'd like to talk directly.

Liza - Bird watching, tree hugging, dirt eating, kinda-crunchy momma to my cub (3) and bird (1). treehugger.gifcold.gifdust.gifflower.gif
#33 of 39 Old 11-11-2008, 07:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancebaraka View Post
Oh my goodness!
Bathtime just got a little more interesting :

~~~~~

Just wanted to post that there are many, many medicines growing right around us. Nature has a way of putting just what we need close by. A great example: In the Southern U.S. you'll find a weed called Yellowroot. It is an amazing ancient remedy for all kinds of coughs, colds- basically it is an immune builder remedy on par with Goldenseal root. So why oh why would we endanger Goldenseal when all the help we need is right there, free for the picking!?!?

You can find out more info on wildcrafting herbs if you sift thru the many resourceful pages at http://www.herbshealing.com/

Also, wanted to put in a plug for homeopathy, one of my dearest allies. With one 100+ remedy kit, you could treat an entire village for years. Now that is sustainability!

A great homeoapthy resource is http://abchomeopathy.com/

That's awesome! I just made my first tincture this year! It was a yarrow tincture. It's good for bleeding, heavy periods, and it's got antiviral properties. Next year, I need to get my butt in gear earlier in order to collect more of my own herbs. I've been ordering some from Mountain Rose Herbs. But I have identified a lot of remedies in my back yard. Can't wait until dandelion season again!

#34 of 39 Old 11-12-2008, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnylady303 View Post
I just found this thread. My 2YO has severe asthma and has been hospitalized 10 times in the last year. I am so tired of the merry-go-round of steroids, inhaled steroids, allergy meds, antibiotics, antifungals, breathing treatments, GERD meds that we are on all the time. There has to be something else more natural that can help. I've gotten a few suggestions in the last couple of days, but do you all have ideas?
I would also like to know more about the first aid kit.

I'm just noticing as I am posting this that this is a book discussion. I don't even have this book, but I guess I need to see if our library does. In the meantime, do you all have ideas about asthma treatment?
i just wanted to say that i had asthma since i was 10. my dad had it as a baby. the doctor told my grandma to take him off of all dairy products for a year or two i can't remember, and that would cure him of it and it did. if i go off of dairy and wheat i have no problems ususally. but i'm also allergic to dogs (we have 2) so i have an air purifier on during the day. it helps so much!! if we don't have it on i'll start to get congested and have trouble breathing. even when i am vacuuming everyday with my dyson animal vac.

also when i was 11 or 12 my parents took me to a acupuncturists for a while. my asthma completley went away, i could even run around and have no problems. but they couldn't afford it for long. but it's defintly worth a try. it helped so much and didn't really hurt that bad at all. it might be hard to get a 2 year old to lay there though. but maybe if he saw you or dad go first. it's worth a try.

i've been on a lot of the meds and have an albutural inhaler for emergencys, but if i eat right i usually don't have any problems. best of luck to you guys. i now how scary it is. it was always scarier for my mom than me though, i was pretty used to it. even now she gets anxious when i start wheezing! =)
#35 of 39 Old 12-17-2008, 11:49 AM

The other day I had someone recommend cst... I have heard about it, but never really looked it up or knew what was involved. So I googled it, and I have to admit... it seems really...well... (not to offend anyone)... but like a complete hoax.

I'm pretty middle of the road when it comes to health care. I do believe that you should start with a healthy lifestyle, then natural remedies, then medicine. I don't like the idea of just fixing things with drugs. I see definite value in good nutrition, avoiding exposure to chemicals,and the like. I see a chiro on a regular basis, but that's for back problems and not because I think he can rid me of...say, allergies (or whatever). But I also believe that there is a time and place for medicine and I like and trust my MD family doc very much (of course, he's pretty middle of the road, too).

I guess what I'm saying is that I feel like treatment ought to at least make sense (call me a skeptic). So what is the research base or evidence behind some of these alternative health care options (especially cst)? And I'm not really asking for testimony or anecdote (just like an anecdote from someone who had an epidural and pitocin during their birth wouldn't convince me that it's good practice).

mommy to Christopher 2/29/08
#36 of 39 Old 12-18-2008, 04:17 PM

CST is able to reshape children's heads with birth deformity or traumatic birth injury (from forceps, vaccuum, etc), all without surgery or helmets. It's a fairly old practice. And Doctors of Osteopathy used to all be trained in this hands-on method. Now, most of them are trained similarly to MDs, but the ones who also take on hands-on training are usually quite good with excellent results.

My son had plagiocephaly, and his head was completely reshaped....which changed many many things. It's not the least bit what it sounds like. You really have to see someone work who has good results to believe it perhaps. But they have plenty of data available.
#37 of 39 Old 12-18-2008, 05:48 PM

I can see how it would be beneficial in infants and young children whose skulls haven't fused yet... just not adults

mommy to Christopher 2/29/08
#38 of 39 Old 12-18-2008, 07:29 PM

It helped with my migraines.
#39 of 39 Old 12-24-2008, 02:44 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I decided to stop vaxing my DD after her 2 month shots. She is almost 10 months now. I am dedicated to ensuring her immune system stays healthy. I started taking her to a chiropractor to boost her immune system as well as to help her sleep better. I also plan on nursing her for at least 2 years.

I had crohn's disease. I say "had" because i dont want any ego attatchment to the illness. I do beleive our ego strives to identify itself with anything and can manifest or prolong illness. I havent had a flare for 4 years so as far as i am concerned I dont have it. I do use probiotics, enzymes, Fish oil and vitamins to keep my gut balanced.

Me(33), Mama to a crazy DD (6), Wife to a wonderful mountain man(32) BF my babe for 2 years.

Tags
Natural , Vitamins Supplements

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page