Is there a long lasting stomach bug going around? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-17-2008, 02:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 15 month old son started last week, vomiting once a little bit 2 evenings in a row before he really got sick at night a day later. He had been having borderline diarrhea, and after he really got sick (slight fever) he also started having watery diarrhea. He also has a runny nose which started at about the same time.

It's just weird because he will be hungry and eat (applesauce, bread) during the day and act fine but sleepier than usual but seems to only get sick in the middle of the night, and this has been going on for almost a week. I would have thought he'd be getting better by now.

He doesn't seem dehydrated, and I am also nursing him. Judging from the smell of his diarrhea, I think that may be one of the only things he is actually digesting!

Is there a long-lasting bug going around? I don't recall my older daughters ever being sick for so many days. It's also weird to me with all of the messy, leaky diapers and vomit that no one else in the huse has gotten sick yet...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2008, 02:38 AM

Is it really stinky?
Rotavirus can hang on for over a week--often 10 days. It's very stinky. Kids breastfeeding often a get a milder case. Most older kids and adults are already immune so that might explain why the rest of you don't have anything.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

Old 11-17-2008, 09:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hey yes we all have had the 5 day virus over here. Its not rotovirus. Ds is almost 5. He got the diarrea on a sunday night and was generally nauseous, he didnt vomit though at that time. He didnt have much of an appetite for a few days, but he seemed okayish. Then on Thursday he threw up once had a few more diarrea episodes but seemed ok enough to eat a ton by suppertime. He threw up again in the night. By saturday he was fine, though it took a few more days for him to eat again. I got it on saturday night and was better by thursday. dh got it thursday and still has it today. its a nightmare. ugh.

Me and my wonderful husband serve God. Blessed with twin girls 2/11/11. <3

Old 11-17-2008, 01:52 PM

activated charcoal or pascalite/bentonite clay can really help mop up the toxins that cause GI distress. the sooner those toxins are mopped up, the quicker one recovers.

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

Old 11-18-2008, 02:23 AM

Yes! Here at least. I was sick for a full week - vomiting for a day then diarrhea, nausea and exhaustion for the rest of the week. The kids have been sick for close to a week now and are not done with it yet (though in them it morphed from tummy bug to cold with horrible cough and absolute sleep-almost-all-day-long exhaustion). Dh too started with vomiting, and now has a cold. It seems with us like we're probably battling 2 different viruses (?) or maybe there's a new double-whammy bug in town.

Kate, mom to 7 year old Djuna and 4 yr old Alden. Missing our good friend Hal the cat who died June 2, 2010

Old 11-18-2008, 02:37 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Twice this fall already, DD2 has had stomach bugs that lasted 1-2 weeks each.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:17 AM

Yes I forgot to add the ds' has morphed into cold/pink eye now. Lovely.

Two for him this year too, so far!

Me and my wonderful husband serve God. Blessed with twin girls 2/11/11. <3

User Tag List