"fused vagina"? & vent! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 11-17-2008, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Long story!

I would like to know what is a fused vagina on an infant??
Baby had 2 month check up at doctor today.
I am gathering info on this term before I contact this doctor again, and need tp calm down as well. I will post more later about the visit.
But first, this term was not explained to me by the DR either, she just showed me, stuck her ungloved finger down there before i could react, and also got upset about the smegma and said "that my midwife should have showed me how to clean her"
(MW did show me!!!how to clean as i did not know how and was scared to clean her down there anyway, also said but don't touch inside the vagina which is opposite to what the DR just told me today!) and that "now I should contact my MW to tell her to tell mothers to clean their babies"?? (she was VERY upset I took a midwife for pregnancy, has made many passive-aggressive comments--I always looked up to my family doctor but the disrespect is obvious to me--plus my midwife was an RN & medically trained etc., so most of the dr's comments about MW not having any medical knowledge, (this was another visit) are false but then she mumbled that "the pee can come out"? however.
That my baby needed some cream and I should stretch? it out??
Please any advice over what this is?
I am so upset over everything i cant even write everything, but left frustrated humiliated and upset!
i think she was (acting very nice to baby except for the fused comment--i didn't see what she was pointing at, i don't get it i am so worried now what it is? she did not explain! i had many questions in general when i walked in, she just went off on a tangent about mw and cleaning down there? i could not ask anything, she wanted me out of there so fast, but with a smile.
If something is fused what how?? any danger? is this BS? i have never heard of such a thing.
I am searching for a family doctor now. The prescription she didn't give that she said she was so i guess it wasn't
important?
I wanted to ask about possible reflux? she spits up a lot? before I could finish the question she said my baby overeats?? a breastfed baby overeats??
Baby I feel did not deserve such a treatment. She did not cry so I know she is ok, she was preoccupied with air particles or the lights, but boy was the DR fast with her exam of my baby's privates!!! I would NOT have allowed this. I feel like crap.
On top of this is her treating me like a child because I had a midwife.
Did she even ask why?? Most importantly MW from the same cultural background as us & it was very important to me personally & my husband to receive prenatal care from: a) a midwife in general b) hearing things in our own language especially for my husband who cannot follow anything medical in Englishe c) I was hesitant to give birth here but going to Europe would have been to expensive even if I do stay with family to give birth there, due to our jobs here d) a MW can come to your house & stay for a long time and really explain about the pregnancy and baby--what a DR sees me fir 5 minutes versus an hour with MW, hmm not a hard choice to make! So many valid reasons for wanting a MW & why is my family doctor doing this??? grrrr! I feel betrayed and kicked in the head. I reuse to let someone treat my BABY girl like that. If a
"fused vagina" which sounds bloody scary to me, is so important, why did she not explain what to do?? Help!t
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 11-17-2008, 09:10 PM

Mama, I'm sorry you were left with upsetting news and lack of information from this woman. Your midwife has nothing to do with this.

My friend's daughter has had labial adhesions, and we researched it. It sounds like she may have a labial adhesion. I'm not certain, of course. But, it may not have been present at birth and developed recently.

"Labial adhesions are commonly found in young girls between the ages of three months and six years. While experts used to think medical or surgical treatment was necessary, recent research has shown that cases involving adherence that is not obstructing the flow of urine usually resolve on their own over a period of 6 to 18 months.
http://www.drgreene.com/21_104.html

However, even when treatment is used, the likelihood that the labial adhesions will recur is high. The best approach is to eliminate factors that lead to inflammation and then be patient. Active treatment may be most helpful if your child is getting bladder infections, is extremely bothered by dribbling after urination, or has difficulty passing urine."

http://www.drgreene.com/21_1130.html
http://www.drspock.com/article/0,1510,5892,00.html
http://www.bestbets.org/bets/bet.php?id=01377

Just a quick reference. But, that is what we've read for years.

Discomfort could be a yeast issue. You may want to look into causes of
microbial imbalance which could lead to yeast. Increase probiotics consumed as food, sprinkle probiotics on the perineal area, and consider bone broths for nutrient benefits, which will help with ph and immune system support.

Pat

I have a blog.
#3 of 16 Old 11-17-2008, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for the links!
I am going to another dr. tomorrow to explain this properly and the links helped me understand what is happening. Poor baby!
I wish today the dr. had taken the time to explain!
#4 of 16 Old 11-17-2008, 10:22 PM

It all sounds like total BS to me. I have three girls and have never had a doctor examine my girls like that. All I have ever been told was to make sure that you wipe them from front to back and make sure that everything stays clean. I think one of my girls was a little swollen when she was really small but I was assured that it was normal because they still have a lot of mom's hormones in them when they are born. I have never heard of the term "fused vagina". I think I would definitely find another doctor.

s
#5 of 16 Old 11-17-2008, 10:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by library lady View Post
It all sounds like total BS to me. I have three girls and have never had a doctor examine my girls like that. All I have ever been told was to make sure that you wipe them from front to back and make sure that everything stays clean. I think one of my girls was a little swollen when she was really small but I was assured that it was normal because they still have a lot of mom's hormones in them when they are born. I have never heard of the term "fused vagina". I think I would definitely find another doctor.

s

Thank you.
#6 of 16 Old 11-17-2008, 10:34 PM

DD has this. My doc explained that in the absence of enough estrogen the vagina will sometimes fuse at the bottom. I treated it with a teeny, tiny amount of Premarin twice a day and it separated on it's own. Now I just watch to make sure it doesn't start to close up again. You don't need to stretch it out and if you tear the skin she could get an infection.

Sorry the doc made you feel that way. I thought it was weird and was a bit confused about it too but my doc answered all my questions. As I poked around on the internet about it I found out it is fairly common and important to treat to avoid infections.

I hope the new doctor treats you better!
#7 of 16 Old 11-17-2008, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by library lady View Post

s
Its not BS.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#8 of 16 Old 11-18-2008, 12:04 AM

It's not BS. My cousin (adult) has a fused vagina. I have NO idea about this condition as it relates to an infant but just wanted to chime in that it is a true medical condition. I'm so sorry you've been treated like crap - hopefully you get the information you need by someone with a little "bedside manner".

Still a sleepy mama to my fabulous 2 year old girl
#9 of 16 Old 11-18-2008, 12:39 AM

One of my daughters and my niece both developed this as infants. It is one of the reasons they do a quick check of the vulva during a well baby visit.
It is resolved fairly easily and never seemed to bother my baby at all.
#10 of 16 Old 11-18-2008, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatWrangler View Post
Its not BS.
Thanks for the correction. Anytime somebody tells me something that they aren't willing to explain it, I consider it BS.
#11 of 16 Old 11-18-2008, 02:47 PM

My twins had labial adhesions. We tried yam cream, but moved on to Premarin when it was not working quickly. Premarin works fast, but is nasty stuff. I am not sure if I would use it again. The yam cream may have worked with more patience. Some parents choose to leave the adhesions alone until their daughter starts to produce her own estrogen.

I would never, under any circumstances, give my business to a Dr. that treated me and my child with the disrespect that you described. A local birth center, babywearing group, conscious parenting group or someplace similiar should be able to recommend a good Dr. Doing a Yahoo seach of the online Yahoo groups in your zipcode can be a good place to find groups like these. Also, if you have a local health food store, the employees sometimes have good recommendations for docs.

wave.gif
#12 of 16 Old 11-18-2008, 02:59 PM

We found labial adhesion in my DD around 6 months old. I think they were present before, but I thought it was normal (first baby...) and doc didn't say anything about it. Over the last 18 months or so they have kinda moved around. For a while, the inner labia were fused to the outer near the back, and to each other in the front. Then the inner labia fused together in all but 1 small spot, but completely released the outer labia. Then that kinda opened up and now she has 2 small openings.

We have never had an issue with bladder infections or the like and we haven't used any creams on her at all. I figure if it is not causing a problem, there is no reason to mess with it. DD just turned 2 (yesterday actually) and is very close to being potty trained. I think being in a diaper has contributed to the persistence of the adhesion's. Our current plan is if they are still there at puberty, we may use some estrogen creams. Or if she starts to develop UTI's, then we will treat it. Till then, I see no reason.

Please calm down. Your doc treated you SO poorly and no one deserves that, but this is not a big deal. Definitely get a new doc for every other reason though. And do some research and see if you come to the same conclusions we have. G/L!

W (26) and C (27) parenting G (11/06 ) and D (2/09 ) plus a new one (3/11)
Sometimes the greener grass is actually AstroTurf, a false promise and nothing more.
#13 of 16 Old 11-21-2008, 04:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrsboyko View Post

Please calm down. Your doc treated you SO poorly and no one deserves that, but this is not a big deal. Definitely get a new doc for every other reason though. And do some research and see if you come to the same conclusions we have. G/L!
Thanks everyone--I did get a second opinion more to ask exactly what was going on, as we were ushered out of there very quickly (it is not the first time I am treated that way, I am so tired of passive-aggressive comments every time I go in regarding the fact I had a midwife, that it highly concerned me that it can affect the level of patient care: I.e.: you are my doctor, not my mother!). So, the 2nd doctor kindly explained everything (I had never even heard of labial adhesions, nor what/where I should be looking for this, and was quite worried).

That said, I am reading up on this and thanks again for everyone's help!
I was really upset as I did not know what effect this adhesion would/would not have on my baby.
#14 of 16 Old 11-21-2008, 12:59 PM

I actually have this myself and for me it has only gone away when I've done the estrogen cream, but then came back again once I stopped them. I'm not trying to steal your post, but I'm not sure what to do for myself. I have already been to the dr. twice now and been given meds twice and I'm still dealing with the problem. For me since I'm an adult it makes sex with my husband really hard. I tear almost everytime we are together and then hurt for days afterward.
#15 of 16 Old 12-03-2008, 04:20 PM

Bumping.

Pat

I have a blog.
#16 of 16 Old 12-03-2008, 04:34 PM

I'm so sorry the dr made you feel this way!

My dd had the same thing. I was told she would outgrow it, and at the next (? might have been the one after...) visit, it was all cleared up. From what my dr said, its common and outgrown.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page