Vision question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-23-2008, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I see a lot of people here talking about more indepth vision problems then just needing glasses, and that these problems can't just be detected with a normal eye exam.
My question is- what is the eye exam called for visual problems, and can any eye doctor do it? And when do you consider it?

To my husband I am wife, to my kids I am mother, but for myself I am just me.
we're : with and : and
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2008, 01:24 AM

My dd has a pretty severe eye condition. She sees an opthamologist (who specializes in pediatrics) as opposed to an optometrist. An opthamologist is an eye surgeon whereas (I believe) an optometrist can do general eye exams. We took her to the opthamologist after our regular optometrist referred us out. She has a lazy eye and he felt that she should be seen by the eye surgeon who specializes in kids.

During her visit with the opthamologist, they discovered her condition after dilating her eyes and looking deep into the actual eyeball with special lighting. I don't know what they call that beyond "dilating the eyes" but all the testing was done in a regular office. So we just went in for a "lazy eye" but they discovered they she has scarring on the retina and choroid which is likely affecting her vision to a point beyond correction.

If you have a history of vision problems in the family, your child should get checked out fairly young.

Proud mommy 9/2004 ribboncesarean.gif , 11/2007 vbac.gif, 2/2011 ribboncesarean.gif
ICAN of New Jersey --> find 2010 NJ hospital birth stats here!

Old 11-24-2008, 01:26 PM

I agree, I'd go to an ophthamologist instead of an optometrist. Although some optometrists are really good. My DH is diabetic and he just sees our optometrist for his eye exam. The OD does a more thorough exam on DH then he does on me. I just go so I can get new glasses or contacts.

Is this for you or a child? What is going on?

User Tag List