Vision question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
Thread Tools
#1 of 3 Old 11-23-2008, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter
theretohere's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 4,676
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I see a lot of people here talking about more indepth vision problems then just needing glasses, and that these problems can't just be detected with a normal eye exam.
My question is- what is the eye exam called for visual problems, and can any eye doctor do it? And when do you consider it?

To my husband I am wife, to my kids I am mother, but for myself I am just me.
we're : with and : and
theretohere is offline  
#2 of 3 Old 11-24-2008, 12:24 AM
dlm194's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,101
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dd has a pretty severe eye condition. She sees an opthamologist (who specializes in pediatrics) as opposed to an optometrist. An opthamologist is an eye surgeon whereas (I believe) an optometrist can do general eye exams. We took her to the opthamologist after our regular optometrist referred us out. She has a lazy eye and he felt that she should be seen by the eye surgeon who specializes in kids.

During her visit with the opthamologist, they discovered her condition after dilating her eyes and looking deep into the actual eyeball with special lighting. I don't know what they call that beyond "dilating the eyes" but all the testing was done in a regular office. So we just went in for a "lazy eye" but they discovered they she has scarring on the retina and choroid which is likely affecting her vision to a point beyond correction.

If you have a history of vision problems in the family, your child should get checked out fairly young.

Proud mommy 9/2004 ribboncesarean.gif , 11/2007 vbac.gif, 2/2011 ribboncesarean.gif
ICAN of New Jersey --> find 2010 NJ hospital birth stats here!

dlm194 is offline  
#3 of 3 Old 11-24-2008, 12:26 PM
lindberg99's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 2,815
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I agree, I'd go to an ophthamologist instead of an optometrist. Although some optometrists are really good. My DH is diabetic and he just sees our optometrist for his eye exam. The OD does a more thorough exam on DH then he does on me. I just go so I can get new glasses or contacts.

Is this for you or a child? What is going on?
lindberg99 is offline  

Quick Reply
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off