Homeopathic remedy - cough in toddler - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 11-28-2008, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 2 year old has been coughing nonstop yesterday and today and my homeopath is on vacation. She started with a little night coughing last week and last Friday was given sulphur to try and kick it. Then on Wednesday she started getting a lot worse, I heard a slight wheeze through her back and so I had to start her inhalers (Flovent and Xopenex) because she is prone to asthmatic attacks (she is always on Singulair). I've been reading my books and searching the internet but I can never seem to decide on the correct remedy to give by myself. I've tried Spongia and Pulsatilla the past few days (those have worked in the past) and today I tried Antimonium Tart because her cough sounded a little loose but then it went back to the tighter sound so I only gave that once. I gave her Nux Vomica an hour ago - haven't seen any change yet. I'll try that for awhile and see. I was wondering about Phosphorus or Hepar Sulph though - don't know which symptoms are most important for that. Currently she is coughing almost every minute, sometimes she tries to hold her cough, so it seems like she has a tickle that is causing her to cough. She usually coughs twice at a time. The first cough is dry and tight and with the second one sometimes I hear the slightest bit of mucus but she's not doing anything with it. Her nose is running clear. Every now and then her eyes water while she's coughing. Her cheeks were pretty red when she got up from her nap, they faded and are slightly pink now. She also had a coughing fit where she was almost gagging when she got up from her nap which made me pick Nux Vomica. And without the inhalers she'd probably be wheezing big time. Is there anyone who can help me? I would be so grateful! Otherwise I'll keep plugging along, I just feel like I'm giving so many remedies which can't be good. I'm also having flashbacks to her respiratory distress that came on so fast last Spring, but she wasn't on Flovent back then so I'm hoping it won't come to that.
#2 of 7 Old 11-29-2008, 12:33 AM

First, hugs to you and baby... poor sweetie. Sounds like she's having a tough time.

Second, since I'm new to homeopathy, I can't recommend anything solid, but all I wanted to say is when DS had a similar situation to your DD, we gave him Humphrey's Cough Control pellets. They prescribe 6 for an adult; I believe I gave him 4, esp before bedtime, and they worked like a charm.

Active Ingredients:
Belladonna 3X HPUS (0.0000095% alkaloids) cough suppressant
Phosphorus 6X HPUS cough suppressant
Spongia tosta (sponge) 2X HPUS cough suppressant
Bryonia alba (white bryony) 3X HPUS cough suppressant

hth...
wishing your little one a speedy recovery...
#3 of 7 Old 11-29-2008, 12:33 AM

my 3 oldest dc were all on flovent and forms of rescue inhalers (xopenex, albuterol) and one was also on singular. Now I don't give any of them these meds. My naturopath prescribed some UNDA numbers for coughs with wheezing that work really well!! Number 37 and 5. I put 10-15 drops in a dropper bottle filled about half way with water and give 1 drop every hour for about 24 hours. It works really well at night when they are really prone to the coughing fits. It has been a life saver honestly!! HTH
#4 of 7 Old 11-29-2008, 11:29 AM

I would try homeopathic ipecac. It has the wheezing, dry and wet spasmodic coughs, coughing almost to or to vomiting, tickle in throat. Ipecac is worse for cold, so if cold drinks set her off I'd definitely try that.
#5 of 7 Old 11-29-2008, 11:54 AM

We love Boiron's Chestal Honey; it keeps my kids off their asthma meds.
#6 of 7 Old 11-29-2008, 01:00 PM

Subbing.

I was just coming here to post for help.

My 6 year old takes daily Singulair, it's the only thing that keeps him from having a wheezing cough all winter long. But even with the Singulair, when he gets a cold if he does not fight it off right away, it goes into his chest into this awful cough.

After being up all night last night, we went to the dr. this am. He's on steriods with a cough supressant. I *hate* the steriods, but they do calm the inflamation quickly.

I'm wondering if there is anything else I can do to ease his discomfort? I was thinking maybe something soothing in a humidifier? Any additional suggestions would be great, I'll be back to check.

Thanks guys!

Candacepeace.gif, Married to dh   guitar.gif, Mom to ds (8) biggrinbounce.gif , Gavin candle.gif (9/30/10 - 12/19/10) and cautiously expecting our rainbow1284.gif 4-29-12

#7 of 7 Old 11-29-2008, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks all! I'm keeping this information for the future. After her second dose of nux vomica, she suddenly went from coughing every minute to just every 15-20 minutes. But then after her bath and right before bed she started coughing again - really harsh coughs. I waited and she actually quieted down after she fell asleep. She still had a cough here and there and I was debating between ipecac and phosphorus. I snuck a dose of phosphorus in her about an hour after she fell asleep. I probably should have just waited but I was so anxious about the situation. Anyway, she slept through the night with only about one or two single coughs total so that was wonderful. Today she has a loose cough that comes out here and there, I think from postnasal drip, but it's pretty mild and she is active and playing normally so I'm going to wait and see what happens, and gradually wean her off the Flovent in a few days. I'd love to get her off of Singulair - hopefully that will be a possibility in the future when she is a little older and can communicate her early symptoms to me. Plus I'm still holding out hope that our homeopath will find her correct remedy and she will start to heal. Thanks again!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page