Pat

I have a blog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2008, 08:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What can anyone tell me about arsenicum album as a constitutional type?

treehugger.gif
Old 12-11-2008, 09:01 PM

I was just reading over in Special Needs and wanted to offer some "Traditional Healing" alternatives which were based in nutrition, and suggest homeopathy for energy healing and realized that each of us wants a different health care provider. Most in SN are seeking conventional medicine and frustrated with the experience, the process, and the outcomes. That too is part of the path to becoming our *own* health care advocate. Having come from a very intervention, intensive medical paradigm, we each offer an alternative perspective.

I agree with much of firefaery's perspective on holistic health; although, I recognize I can not "remove" the conventional paradigm (my education) from my filters. Similarly, those who are *medically* trained and "credentialed" come from/with their own filters. But, personally, I'm not aligned with the psychic healing, ethereal perspective yet.

I trust that we each will find that which we seek and need.

Pat

I have a blog.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:23 PM

ABSOLUTELY. That is why I'm very clear in how *I* look at these things. I see things from MY perspective which doesnt' make it right for anyone but ME. If what I say resonates with you, great. If not....pay no attention!
Old 12-11-2008, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepia View Post
so true!!

(hi ff and pat--it's carrie from wwow )
Like you could ever disguise yourself from me! I'd know you a mile away.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laneysprout View Post
What can anyone tell me about arsenicum album as a constitutional type?
http://www.elixirs.com/arsenicum.cfm

Beyond what that link has to offer... Arsenicum as a constitutional is generally for very fastidious people who pay meticulous attention to detail. They tend to worry and be anxious over their health and their security. They are perfectionists. They tend to only like to do things if they can do them well. Most often you will see very strong opinions in Arsenicum people. Pessimism is a big trait. They are usually very well dressed, stylish and elegant. Arsenicums tend to look very aristocratic. They are critical of disorder and messes and tend, in general to be rather high strung. Like have quite a bit of fears (being killed, poisoned, sick, poverty and the dark) and prefer warmth to cold.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery View Post
I'm not sure that's possible. Many ND's go to school and WANT to be mainstream. For them, Bastyr is a great institution. For me it's allopathy in hippie garb. Again, my own personal bias. Natural health to *me* doesn't mean swapping pharmaceuticals for nutraceuticals which is what ALL accredited institutions teach (there are only a handful of them.) There are unaccredited schools that have incredible integrity and aren't moving towards getting accredited because they don't want to have to buy into the mainstream "alternative" ideas of health. However someone who went to an unaccredited school doesnt' have to sit for boards, cant' order labs, and cannot prescribe which there is more and more of a push for ND's to do. BTW it's ND's pushing for the right to prescribe. They also cannot practice as licensed physicians. Bummer if you commit to 4-5 years of a doctoral program.

In terms of if that view of Bastyr is shared by the community at large? I guess that depends on who you ask. Again, nowadays a naturopathic education is just another way to become a doctor. For people who just want to become docs, no they would not share the view. For people who want to become healers? It's shared quite a bit on many different medical boards I have been on. Those people are caught between a rock and a hard place. When you go to learn about body/mind/soul and wholism it's tough to be focusing on nutraceuticals and pharmocology/pharmacognosy.

I wish I had a better answer, but I'm struggling with this quite a bit. I have a hard time figuring out where to send people. They so often come away from an ND with hundred's of dollars worth of supplements, and no real understanding of healing. A year later they are still not in a better place. It's also hard because docs have a tendency to get caught in a "thing." Everyone has the same issue. They have yeast. They have allergies. They have metal toxicity. I'll give you that all these issues are prevalent....but not many people are looking at WHY. Who cares if you are metal toxic if you dont' know what to do about it? Who cares if you have yeast if you don't know why it's there in the first place? Killing it won't do anything if you can't figure out the underlying cause because it's just going to come BACK. This is, of course, where energy medicine can shine.

Anyway....random diatribe. I dont' have a great answer. The long and short is that if you want to see a homeopath see someone who was trained specifically in homeopathy. I can forgive the ND (or MD) if they have committed themselves to the study of homeopathic medicine. If that's their passion they'll likely be good at it regardless of where they came from.
So much great info/opinion to think on. Thank you, once again.

Still a sleepy mama to my fabulous 2 year old girl
Old 12-12-2008, 03:28 AM

After my last rant I figured I should probably clarify a bit for anyone just wandering into this field and hopefully others will join in!

Naturopathic Medicine and Homeopathic Medicine get confused quite a bit-even in alternative health circles. They are VERY different. Now, while there are many different ways of practicing homeopathic medicine the one thing that is true in all methods is that you are working with an energy medicine.

Herbs and supplements have a specific biochemical action on the body. You give an herb and there is going to be a response. They alter your body's chemistry for better or worse. This is a good thing if you need what the herb/supplement has to offer, not so much if you don't. Either way it's going to create a change. Whether it boosts your body's capabilities or takes energy away to deal with an unnecessary stress will always remain to be seen. I'm not anti-supplementation by any stretch but I do see alot of problems with how they are used.

Homeopathic Medicine on the other hand elicits NO biochemical change. It is an energy medicine. You can think of your body like a radio emitting waves and the remedy is like the dial. You can only tune in to an existing wave.....if you give a remedy that isn't needed nothing happens. You aren't emitting that wave and no matter how much the knob is turned it ain't gonna find any music.

Homeopathic medicine is safe, effective and has NO side effects. This is the only form of medicine that I am aware of for which all three can be said. All three are pretty damned important. It is based on the principal that we are always looking for balance so a nudge in the right direction in the form of an infinitesimal dose will prompt our bodies to get there faster. It trusts the body and respects the process. It is totally holistic, taking into account the emotional/mental and physical plane. Again, I don't know another modality that does this.

When we see a deficiency and try to correct it by adding that particular thing in we are not stopping to acknowledge the wisdom of the body or ask why that would be the case. To me saying that someone is deficient in B vitamins for instance means SO many things. I would never personally *just* supplement B vitamins. That is a very allopathic approach that assumes that giving the B vitamins will fill the void and make things better. To me it matters if the deficiency exists as a result of the fact that you aren't consuming it, it is low to balance an existing excess, because something is blocking receptor sites or because you are using it too rapidly. The first can be corrected by supplementation because that is an issue with regimen. The other three cannot. Supplementing in those instances can create a further imbalance or ignore an underlying issue.

Homeopathy doesn't look to use heroic measures. It gives the body information so that it can create a shift that is needed. It can't correct a regimen problem, but it can correct the others gently and effectively. That is what I mean by the differences in thinking. It is very hard to do both because they are inherently conflicting in my opinion. Hope that makes sense.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Homeopathic medicine is safe, effective and has NO side effects.
Safe yes!!!

No side effects????

Self healing is the major effect.

Seeing your "stuff" face to face and dealing with it a side effect!!:
Old 12-12-2008, 10:19 PM

It's the purpose, not a side effect. They are VERY different things. Pharmaceuticals have their action and things like, "dry mouth, increased perspiration, loss of night vision" as side effects. Healing is the sole purpose of homeopathy!
Old 12-12-2008, 10:27 PM

Quote:
http://www.elixirs.com/arsenicum.cfm

Beyond what that link has to offer... Arsenicum as a constitutional is generally for very fastidious people who pay meticulous attention to detail. They tend to worry and be anxious over their health and their security. They are perfectionists. They tend to only like to do things if they can do them well. Most often you will see very strong opinions in Arsenicum people. Pessimism is a big trait. They are usually very well dressed, stylish and elegant. Arsenicums tend to look very aristocratic. They are critical of disorder and messes and tend, in general to be rather high strung. Like have quite a bit of fears (being killed, poisoned, sick, poverty and the dark) and prefer warmth to cold.
jesus, that sounds like my MIL. I just had a week of her. ack!!

I'm currently in homeopathy school and LOVING it, even just 2 weekends in. It's late, and i'm burnt from my IL visit, but will be back to read and post.

I am a homeopath, offering acute and constitutional consultations for children, babies, and parents. Long-distance treatment is easy, either phone or skype! I also am certified to offer Homeoprophylaxis, a vaccine-alternative program. Message me for more details. www.concentrichealing.com
Old 12-12-2008, 10:31 PM

ooooh you are in maine. Are you at Baypath?
Old 12-12-2008, 11:00 PM - Thread Starter

Right it was a sudo kidding remark.

The purposes you go through are way more exciting and extreme than dry mouth etc..
Old 12-15-2008, 02:57 PM

I am fascinated by this discussion! I am looking into any possible treatment for my son's allergic colitis and some on this board have pointed toward classical homeopathy. Cost is somewhat prohibitive at this point, but I do have access to a teaching clinic (http://www.homeopathycanada.com/clinic/) or I also found someone online who is willing to lower his fees for us (http://www.homeopathichealers.com/Bio.htm). I should mention that he will provide service over the phone, which I am not sure about. Since a few others have asked for opinions of this nature, might I join them in asking - which option would you choose and why?

Lisa treehugger.gif married to DH bikenew.gifsince Aug 07 & mom to DS1 blahblah.gif  born May 08 and DS2 babyboy.gif born Nov 10 homebirth.jpg
Old 12-15-2008, 04:48 PM

I would have no problem with doing consults over the phone. In fact I have done them myself with good results.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:42 PM

Well, we just got back from our intake appointment and got DD's constitutional remedy- she got lycopodium. So here we go!! Keeping my fingers crossed that she hit the right remedy on the first try.

Mary- this info is for you. I asked Dr. Doroshow about her training, and she said she went to the New England School of Homeopathy and trained with one of the best homeopaths alive today (in her opinion). She flew out to Massachusetts monthly to train with him. And she's covered on DD's insurance (because she bills as an MD), so that's awesome.
I also asked her if she had any recommendations for me, and she said that she really like Stephen King as well as the other homeopaths there at the Ravenna clinic. So I might check them out for myself- their fees are kind of right in the middle of the range that I've found. Is that where you're taking your DD, or did you decide to go with the other guy? Have you gone yet?

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:50 PM

hey, that's my constitutional! May she love it as much as I do. BTW...I think you'll notice something. I do wonderfully with that whole triad.

Paul Herscu is indeed one of the greats in homeopathy today. I can't wait to hear more!
Old 12-15-2008, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
Well, we just got back from our intake appointment and got DD's constitutional remedy- she got lycopodium. So here we go!! Keeping my fingers crossed that she hit the right remedy on the first try.

Mary- this info is for you. I asked Dr. Doroshow about her training, and she said she went to the New England School of Homeopathy and trained with one of the best homeopaths alive today (in her opinion). She flew out to Massachusetts monthly to train with him. And she's covered on DD's insurance (because she bills as an MD), so that's awesome.
I also asked her if she had any recommendations for me, and she said that she really like Stephen King as well as the other homeopaths there at the Ravenna clinic. So I might check them out for myself- their fees are kind of right in the middle of the range that I've found. Is that where you're taking your DD, or did you decide to go with the other guy? Have you gone yet?
Too cool! We're not going until Jan. because that's when I'm switching DD's insurance so they'll cover 50% of non-contracted providers. We are looking at one doc at the Ravenna Clinic (who I just noticed *teaches* at Bastyr but went to the National College of Naturopathic Medicine in Portland) and also that other guy - Tim Ticehurst. I'm having a heck of a time deciding but seem to somehow be leaning towards the guy since he is not an ND - just a homeopath. Not sure how I'm going to make my final decision but it seems crazy - like she could be given one constitutional remedy by one person and a different remedy by another person...I don't know. Gotta run at the moment.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:24 PM

Quote:
hey, that's my constitutional! May she love it as much as I do. BTW...I think you'll notice something. I do wonderfully with that whole triad.

Paul Herscu is indeed one of the greats in homeopathy today. I can't wait to hear more!
That's awesome to hear (both about the remedy and about Paul Herscu.) So if I by chance decided to study homeopathy.... would that school be a good one to go to (they have a campus in Oregon too)? Or are there any top notch schools that you would recommend near Seattle?

Old 12-15-2008, 08:28 PM

you could always test between the two! Do you know how to muscle test, use a pendulum or anything like that?

It is *possible* for two people to pick different remedies. I will tell you though that my dd was given a remedy by our homeopath. A few days earlier we were at a friends house who is an ND and practices homeopathy. She asked if she could take the case (knowing that she wouldn't be the one prescribing.) I said yes. She took a couple of days to rep it out by hand and wouldnt' you know....came up with the same remedy dd's doc did. To be fair it was kind of a clear case (very bizarre, lots of autistic behaviors etc.) but nevertheless they got to the same place.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:32 PM

Quote:
That's awesome to hear (both about the remedy and about Paul Herscu.) So if I by chance decided to study homeopathy.... would that school be a good one to go to (they have a campus in Oregon too)? Or are there any top notch schools that you would recommend near Seattle?
It would be a very good school to go to. No doubt.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:48 PM

Ooohhh, I'm SOOOO excited. I just talked with Tim Ticehurst on the phone for about 40 minutes and decided that I loved him and wanted to see him more than the woman (even though he thinks highly of her and has had her treat his kids in the past). So...without me even asking (because I never would have asked a professional to do this) he offered to see her ASAP and then give me the slip to give to insurance saying that her appt. was actually on Jan. 2 so that they'll reimburse me for half (DD's new insurance kicks in on Jan. 1 so I told him we couldn't come in until Jan. and he said he'd much rather see her right away and would just fudge the date on the paper I send to insurance). Sweet! So, shortly after x-mas I'll have her first (and hopefully last) remedy to try. Man, I hope he gets it right.

Old 12-15-2008, 11:37 PM

All of this talk about Paul Herscu, combined with Oregon has me wondering now.
I remember my ND saying something about Paul Herscu but I can't remember what. I'm pretty sure he went to the National College of Naturopathic Medicine.
Oh cool. I just Googled my ND and here he is! I guess he graduated 4 years before Paul Herscu... Maybe he said he went to the same school as him? I'm going to have to ask him now.

ETA: Huh. I was looking up more on him (think I'd have done this before I went to see him, eh? Oh well, he was recommended by several people so..) and apparently he's a classical homeopath too. Will wonders never cease.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
Old 12-16-2008, 12:30 AM

Location: Learning about ancient history along with the kiddos
Paulk Herscu is well-respected. His Stramonium book introduced an interesting methodology he calls cycles and segments. I don't think of the methodology as being that popular using that exact name, but the idea of people moving through different cycles of the same remedy (and therefore exhibiting different characteristics of it at various times) has become fairly well accepted.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:11 AM

His book on pediatric constitutional types is also pretty widely respected.
Old 12-16-2008, 03:26 AM

I finally gave DD the remedy a few hours ago (the doc said to have her take it at least 15 minutes after/before food, and we didn't have that long of a stretch without eating all afternoon. )

So..... I know that the right remedy can start working immediately. When should I expect to see things happening with DD, and what do you think I might see? As you can tell, I'm already getting impatient... no, not impatient... just excited about the possibilities! I just really feel like we are finally moving in the right direction with DD's health issues. I can't wait to get myself to a homeopath too.

Old 12-16-2008, 04:56 AM

Quote:
I finally gave DD the remedy a few hours ago (the doc said to have her take it at least 15 minutes after/before food, and we didn't have that long of a stretch without eating all afternoon. )

So..... I know that the right remedy can start working immediately. When should I expect to see things happening with DD, and what do you think I might see? As you can tell, I'm already getting impatient... no, not impatient... just excited about the possibilities! I just really feel like we are finally moving in the right direction with DD's health issues. I can't wait to get myself to a homeopath too.
Oh, i know I'll be sitting up all night probably when I first give DD her remedy - just PRAYING that perhaps she sleeps better. I don't really know what to expect either. I will be so interested in what you observe in your DD.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:59 AM

Quote:
His book on pediatric constitutional types is also pretty widely respected.
i have that one!
Old 12-16-2008, 01:14 PM

That's because you are AWESOME. If you are lonely you can call me, ya know.

CS-it's pretty standard in homeopathy (and this will vary depending on the patient, the vital force the potency used etc.) to see an aggravation before you see relief. So *generally* I have one to three days of asking, "why did I take this remedy?" before I settle into bliss. Everyone is different. But as I said, depending on the potency you gave if you called the homeopath today and said, "she's WORSE! What did you do????!?!?!" They would be psyched and know the remedy was working.

Allopathy is a modality of action and homeopathy is a medicine of REaction. If you have diarrhea for instance allopathy goes in and gives a med to STOP the diarrhea therby halting the body's function. It was trying to expel something and the medicine has now prevented that from happening. The body's natural response then is going to be to try and bring back the diarrhea so of course if you keep stopping that you could be on meds (in a chrnic case) for the duration of your life. The cause is never dealt with.

Homeopathy is a medicine of reaction. Your symptoms are respected and considered to be a necessary part of healing. The medicine given tells your body to go ahead and purge, but let's get it over with already. The remedy given will be one that causes diarrhea in a healthy person, though it is given in very small doses. The medicine caused the reaction you are looking for.

I know it's hard and somewhat paradoxical-but hopefully that helps!
Old 12-16-2008, 02:29 PM

Thanks for that reminder ff. She slept like crap last night (still sleeping), so I will take that as a good sign. We'll see how today goes!

User Tag List