The I Took My Remedy Tribe - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 414 Old 12-23-2008, 04:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know, I know... but that has been my life for the past year- obsessing with the daily stuff. We're finally at a point where I thought I could relax a little... I already took the buckwheat out of her diet, but I simply can't take it out of mine- it provides probably half (or more) of my daily calories, and I'm barely squeaking by with enough right now. (Just a brief history- I've been taking foods out of my diet for a year now, and have finally gotten DD *close* to baseline with a diet of about 8 foods. So I don't have a lot of flexibility in the food department.)

I called the doc, and her resident called me back and said that either: a) it's from the remedy, b) she's proving the remedy (can you do that with one dose?!), or c) it's from a food, but that I shouldn't take anything out of her diet since it's so limited. So that answer really didn't help me at all... except that she said it's not usual, but not impossible, for symptoms to still be flaring from the remedy.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 414 Old 12-23-2008, 08:39 PM

Wow!! Don't know how I missed this thread but I only pop in now and again...

Love the topic and thinks it's an awesome idea to have it here, by itself!

I've been interested in homeopathy for about 5 years now. It started when my son was "dx" with ADHD and was having many problems at school and home. We tried a brief (one week!) run of the stimulants and I knew there had to be a better way. Long story short, my son is doing well and I use homeopathy for pretty much all of our health issues.

Please, keep posting all of you!! Homeopathy is amazing and it's wonderful to hear of the way it works in and for everyone. Thanks!
Kppy
#123 of 414 Old 12-24-2008, 12:14 AM

how do you feel? You hanging in there?

It is possible to prove the remedy in one dose....but WOW! That would be something! It can happen with highly sensitive individuals. If that's the case there are things they can do next time. I'll be thinking of you two. I just started a new remedy today and I'm hoping that it goes smoothly. Fingers crossed. I'll update!
#124 of 414 Old 12-24-2008, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery View Post
how do you feel? You hanging in there?

It is possible to prove the remedy in one dose....but WOW! That would be something! It can happen with highly sensitive individuals. If that's the case there are things they can do next time. I'll be thinking of you two. I just started a new remedy today and I'm hoping that it goes smoothly. Fingers crossed. I'll update!
Well, if the question is for me... I'm exhausted, frustrated, and very grumpy.

So what would that mean if she proved the remedy? Does that mean that it's the wrong remedy? Or just that the dose was too high? (That's something that I haven't read much on yet.) If anyone is highly sensitive- it's her. Actually no, I am pretty sensitive too. At least to conventional medicines, but I have no idea if that sensitivity would carry over into homeopathic remedies.

#125 of 414 Old 12-24-2008, 12:38 AM

Not necessarily. I am VERY sensitive and my dd is about five times as sensitive as I am. She has never proved a remedy in any potency...and she has taken up to 10M as well as taking 30C daily. My ds however is sensitive-but not anything like dd and he did.

It doesn't (in my school of thought) mean it's the wrong remedy. It can mean that a different scale needs to be used. The doc I am precepting with would use LM or Q potencies (as opposed to C's) for highly sensitive kids. There can be indicators to determine if that needed but it's a tough call to be sure. It is not cut and dry....everything in this modality is very individual. Just about everyone does start out on the C scale. 200C is a pretty standard starting dose.

I will go read back, but how many times did you give it?

FWIW here's *my* take (and again....just one perspective.) If it's her original symptoms flaring it's not likely to be a proving. If there are new symptoms then it's something to think about. IF these are things you have seen in her before...even if they haven't been recent then MY gut would say it's an aggravation. Not everyone would agree. Just my two cents.
#126 of 414 Old 12-24-2008, 12:49 AM

Quote:
I will go read back, but how many times did you give it?

FWIW here's *my* take (and again....just one perspective.) If it's her original symptoms flaring it's not likely to be a proving. If there are new symptoms then it's something to think about. IF these are things you have seen in her before...even if they haven't been recent then MY gut would say it's an aggravation. Not everyone would agree. Just my two cents.
Just the one time- 2 pellets crushed up and mixed with water.

Yeah, they are all symptoms that she's had before, exactly as she's had them (except the eczema had never been on her stomach before, but had been everywhere else.)

#127 of 414 Old 12-24-2008, 01:09 AM

so pretty much are now being told to wait and see? The reality from my perspective is since you aren't continuing to give it that is the deal (unless your doc does something I dont' know about.) Either:
she flared as an aggravation and is going to progress.
it was a proving and it will fade and she will still progress and next time you do a lower dose
*or*
it was a proving of something that didn't resonate with her and next time you need to try a different remedy entirely.

Either way it's all information and will help in the long run!

I will totally agree (if I haven't) that it's totally possible for things to still be flaring from the remedy. That too is information.

You are doing great. I agree highly with Avent's suggestion. That way you aren't constantly turning things in your head too. Write it down and release it. That way you can give you doc an accurate report and don't have to drive yourself over the edge.
#128 of 414 Old 12-24-2008, 01:15 AM

Yep, just wait and see.... we have another appointment with her in about 5 weeks to talk about how this remedy worked.

So many possibilities... : I guess I need to wait for a while to trial any new foods, because there's no way I would be able to figure out a pass/fail right now! I'm thinking that I will let DD have buckwheat again tomorrow though and see what happens... she hasn't had it in a few days, so if things get progressively worse then I will know it was in fact the buckwheat. If not, I am going to assume it's the remedy!

#129 of 414 Old 12-24-2008, 01:48 AM

Since we haven't seen our homeopath yet I am a little confused. Can someone please explain what "proving" a remedy means? Thanks.

Still a sleepy mama to my fabulous 2 year old girl
#130 of 414 Old 12-24-2008, 02:16 AM

basically homeopathy works on the law of similars so you are giving something with the ability to elicit the symptoms you are trying to eliminate. Proving a remedy would give you those symptoms.

So belladonna if proved would give you a high fever, red face, HOT skin, glassy eyes etc. BUT it's what you would take if you HAD those symptoms.

So, if you had an issue where symptoms pointed to belladonna like a breast infection where your breast was hot and red and you took belladonna past the point you needed to or in a potency that was too high etc. you *could* prove it. Instead of clearing the infection in the breast you have now developed a fever, dry skin, a stiff neck etc.

Sorry. It's late and I'm exhausted. I'll be more coherent tomorrow.
#131 of 414 Old 12-24-2008, 02:45 AM

So even if the correct remedy is chosen it can be proven, which is a bad thing, if taken in the wrong dose or for too long? Wow, that certainly seems to complicate things! Thanks for the explanation.

Still a sleepy mama to my fabulous 2 year old girl
#132 of 414 Old 12-24-2008, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoulaMary View Post
So even if the correct remedy is chosen it can be proven, which is a bad thing, if taken in the wrong dose or for too long? Wow, that certainly seems to complicate things! Thanks for the explanation.
From what I've read though, that's pretty rare to prove a remedy, especially just with one dose- is that right, ff?

#133 of 414 Old 12-24-2008, 02:05 PM

yes, It's not common.
#134 of 414 Old 12-26-2008, 12:01 AM

Location: Learning about ancient history along with the kiddos
Some people are really great provers, though. Bad for them, good for those of us who like to work on provings.
#135 of 414 Old 12-26-2008, 09:34 PM

#136 of 414 Old 12-26-2008, 10:04 PM

Update on us- DD's face is finally starting to clear up a little. And I haven't changed my diet (I stopped giving her buckwheat directly for a few days, but started again 2 days ago), so I can only assume that it's the remedy!!! : She had a pretty nasty diaper rash pop out over the last 3-4 days, but it's clearing up now too. So maybe we're finally getting past the worsening of the symptoms and we can start seeing some improvements. :

Oh- and I have a question. How long after taking a constitutional do I need to avoid any other remedies? And what will happen if I do give another remedy? I gave some camillia the other day for teething pain, not even thinking about it... and then I was going to give some arnica the other night when DD smacked her head on the kitchen floor, but remembered that I'm supposed to avoid remedies after the constitutional.

#137 of 414 Old 12-26-2008, 11:16 PM

I have never avoided acutes. I would check with your practitioner though. So glad things are moving!
#138 of 414 Old 12-27-2008, 01:01 AM

Quote:
I have never avoided acutes. I would check with your practitioner though. So glad things are moving!
Good to know- thanks. I was afraid I messed things up.

#139 of 414 Old 12-28-2008, 10:52 PM

I'd like to get your opinions on something. I've been working with a homeopath for the better part of the year for my DD. We are working on allergies and asthma...that whole deal. She has been on Singulair since the beginning of treatment, with the plan being that she stay on the medicine while being treated. She also uses Flovent which I am to start her on when she gets colds per her allergist. Last year I was able to keep her off Flovent during colds by using homeopathy but this year she's gotten to the wheezing point and I have had to use it for a few colds. (Also, last year I may not have been as in tune to the subtle signs of compromised breathing and she may have benefitted from Flovent use). This year I put her on it at the first sign that things are going to her lungs because I don't want her lungs to get scarred. Anyway, Sept through Nov were great - not one cough at all. But the past 4-6 weeks she has gotten a couple of colds, plus a stomach bug, and she has been on Flovent for about 3 of those weeks. She is currently on Flovent and has been for about 7-10 days now. It started with a cold and now I can't tell if it's still a cold or envionmental allergies - I have a feeling it could be a mix. I'm getting frustrated because the homeopath gave me some bowel nosodes 6 weeks ago which I was supposed to give her after she recovered from her first cold. She hasn't been healthy long enough for me to give them to her. She has a runny nose now and a loose cough but she is doing okay because she is on the Flovent. Would you continue to wait to give the nosodes until I can get her off the Flovent? I feel like allergies are playing into this too - she had watery eyes at my friend's house today. I'm starting to feel like I'll never get the opportunity to give them to her!
#140 of 414 Old 12-29-2008, 05:11 AM

I think it would be best to ask the homeopath in this case. Is there a reason you haven't contacted him/her about whether to go ahead and give the nosodes?

Have you considered the possibility of Albuterol instead of steroids? I know it's not the same, but just wondering if you could get away with that.

How old is DD? My DH used to have asthma and I would have been more willing to take a chance with giving him a remedy as he was old enough to have experience to tell when he needed his meds and when he didn't. There's a big different between a small child and a teenager, for example,in terms of managing any acute asthma situation which may arise from the treatment.
#141 of 414 Old 12-29-2008, 05:28 AM

Okay, Flovent is a preventive inhaler. It is not supposed to be used on an "as needed" basis. It is NOT a "rescue" inhaler. It should be used continuously- for a reason.
If your child is finding relief from a corticosteroid inhaler, I would suggest talking to your homeopath about something to support her adrenals, as well as getting her tested for allergies.
I realize that this isn't entirely a homeopathic response (at least, I don't think it is), point being I've never been trained and I didn't even realize my ND was a classical homeopath, but that is the route which has helped MY older ds *and* myself to get off of Flovent.
I'm sorry that that doesn't answer your question at all (about the nosodes), but that is my opinion on it. I would *never* screw around with something as serious as asthma.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#142 of 414 Old 12-29-2008, 12:33 PM

I would highly encourage you to talk to the homeopath. I have seen great results with asthma being treated homeopathically, but like Avent said there is a big difference between an articulate child/teen and a toddler in terms of comfort level and knowing when you have wiggle room and when you don't.

Allergies are something to consider for sure, but generally homeopathy isn't all that concerned with allergies. They are seen as a sign of imbalance. I personally see things a bit differently...but everyone is different. Best to communicate with your practitioner. She just did a seminar on the bowel nosodes so she should have a pretty good idea of how to proceed.
#143 of 414 Old 12-29-2008, 01:44 PM

Thanks all - I will talk to the homeopath again. She's on vacation right now and I was just curious what you guys thought. As for her use of Flovent - I know that it is a preventative inhaler, not a rescue inhaler. She also has Xopenex which I use when conditions warrant. In her case of viral induced asthma, this is the protocol that both of her allergists (one who is a top allergist in the U.S. at Johns Hopkins) have instructed me to follow. Singulair year round, and Flovent at the first sign of a cold and continue through the duration of the cold. November was her first cold this season so that is why I didn't start the Flovent immediately at the first sign of the cold - we were seeing if her system had developed enough so that the singulair would be all she needed. The second I heard the slightest wheeze by putting my ear up to her back, I started the Flovent (and Xopenex) and she was fine the next day (with continuation of Flovent.) Now going forward I will start Flovent at the first sign of a cold coming on. My main question was whether Flovent would prevent the remedy/bowel nosodes from working since it is an inhaled steroid.

Avent - She's only two, and that is why I can't abandon any of the mainstream medications, since she can't communicate her internal symptoms.

Jacqueline - I will ask about the adrenals. We know what her alleriges are - unfortunately she has both environmental and food.

Thanks!
#144 of 414 Old 12-29-2008, 02:03 PM

lablover, here are a bunch of natural alternatives, for children with asthma: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...&postcount=147

And this thread about immune support and asthma: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...22&postcount=9

Pat

I have a blog.
#145 of 414 Old 12-29-2008, 02:20 PM

If she's only 2 yo then I would be very cautious about giving up conventional therapies. My experience is that it absolutely can be done, but needs to be done much more slowly and cautiously if she's too young to say,"I'm wheezing but I'm OK"or "Help, I really am having trouble!"

My opinion is that you should be able to move forward with the bowel nosodes at any time.If they are good for her they will work despite her colds and other small acute illnesses. But it's probably best to wait for the homeopath to come back from vacation.
#146 of 414 Old 12-29-2008, 02:30 PM

lablover, is the bowel nosode a one time dose or daily? What dosage, 30c?

Also, was an acute remedy given with the viral illness, six weeks ago? Is there any other homeopathic remedy that she is on currently, or regularly? Is your daughter ill or well at the moment?

The steroid inhaler could make the homeopathy less effective, perhaps needing to be repeated with a lower dose, more frequently. But, any homeopathy benefit would be gained from taking it, rather than waiting indefinitely. Of course, in 6 weeks, the remedy choice could have changed. But, these seem more constitutional than situational. Was the delay due to using the steroid inhaler previously?

When does the homeopath return? Do you have email or messaging access with her?

Personally, I'd do the bowel nosode now, which should help her immune system. I'm intrigued by these and am going to inquire with our homeopathist about these.

Pat

I have a blog.
#147 of 414 Old 12-29-2008, 03:43 PM

Avent - yes, I totally agree with you that giving up conventional therapies is too risky at this age. If anything I want to protect her lungs now so that hopefully sometime in the future she will be able to decrease her medication.

WuWei - The bowel nosode is a 3 time dose, given in one day. The first two doses are 30c and the final dose is 200c. She was given an acute remedy for the original viral illness 6 weeks ago. Actually I had a list of 3 different ones that I was to work through and then she came up with the cold that went to her chest and I started the inhalers. It's actually been a crazy month for DD so she's had quite a few remedies...She chipped her tooth and was on Hypericum for that, then she burned herself and ended up with second degree burns on her fingers and was on Causticum for that. The homeopath was out of town and was unable to give me a hypericum tincture so we ended up using a cream from urgent care. Then she had a viral illness with fever/cough for which we gave her Pulsatilla (after originally trying Spongia for the cough before the fever developed, which didn't seem to work.) Before last night I would have said she was well, with just a little runny nose and postnasal drip causing an infrequent cough (not asthmatic), which could continue indefinitely. But overnight she developed a new cough and I think she is getting the cold that DH and DS are fighting. Her cough (again it's not her asthmatic cough) was picking up in intensity this morning so I am trying Spongia and then will move to Pulsatilla (One of these worked previously with this same type of cough.) She hasn't had a constitutional remedy since October. Oh, and the original delay was for her to get over the viral illness so that she wouldn't need any other remedies soon after taking the bowel nosode.

The homeopath will be back at the end of the week so it's not long at all. Actually I have an appointment with her this week or my first consultation so I will ask her about DD then. September through most of November were just awesome healthwise for DD, and I got spoiled! Hopefully DD will get a break soon.
#148 of 414 Old 12-29-2008, 04:12 PM

the remedy will be compromised with the inhaler, yes. But it will be interesting to see how this plays out. Often, if you have the right remedy you will see that illness repeat again....especially if it was suppressed which it would have been with steroids. The homeopath should have more information for you. Whatever has triggered her asthma will likely interrupt the action of the remedy as well as it depletes the vital force. It's not a big deal by any means and simply means that she will likely need to be dosed again.

Bowel nosodes have a slightly different action so *I* probably would go for it...but it would be best for you to talk to your doc.
#149 of 414 Old 12-29-2008, 05:09 PM

I agree she will probably need frequent dosing.That's why I was interested in the Albuterol option,as that would not be as disruptive as steroids. I still think this will work if the nosodes are correct though. They really are fascinating.

Where can I get info on the bowel nosodes seminar? Anyone know?
#150 of 414 Old 12-29-2008, 05:16 PM

The big one is being given by Russell Malcolm. They are fascinating!

http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:...lnk&cd=1&gl=us

ITA on the inhalers. Albuterol would be a great option if it worked! I wonder too about emergency procedures int he natural world. MSM and lobelia tinctures are both amazing for acute attacks. I would just want to make sure you had guidance.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page